• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Battleship Texas

The sheer size of everything compared to what I see and work with on a daily basis...motos, autos, etc....are just mind boggling to me.

Not to mention the time in history and technology it was all made.
My sinuses are trying to kill me this weekend, so this is great stuff to pass the time.
sniff.

Ok, so where can I go to see Texas in the dry dock, from land? I'm riding down that way and wanted to know if there was a spot from public property (aka road) where she can be seen.

From the island by where the Elisa docks is as good as its going to get . The oil platform is kinda interesting to wonder around in too . It’s easy to waste a half a day in the area , park at the railroad museum , go through it then you can go out the front door and walk to everything in the strand area , good food choices for lunch and waste the whole day there been a while since I’ve been there and I never stayed late , if you do be sure you can get out of the parking lot after hours .

From the island by where the Elisa docks is as good as its going to get . The oil platform is kinda interesting to wonder around in too . It’s easy to waste a half a day in the area , park at the railroad museum , go through it then you can go out the front door and walk to everything in the strand area , good food choices for lunch and waste the whole day there been a while since I’ve been there and I never stayed late , if you do be sure you can get out of the parking lot after hours .
I don't know the ship Elisa, so I don't know where she berths, but I found the RR museum and oil rig on google maps. That should get me close enough. Thanks! If I get any photos, I'll share them here.

I’m not sure Elisa is still there , they used to dock in the slip just west of the oil platform it was a 3 or 4 masted sailing ship , last time I was there Gkid and I took the train and pulled into the station behind the two SF F3s they have at the museum it was a fun trip .

The cruise ship docks are directly across from the dry dock where Texas is but I’m not sure if you can wander out on them or not . Everything west of there used to be cotton warehouses , and set empty from early 60s . I have this vague memory of me and a friend racing around inside those warehouses in our cars one night like they do in the movies . Can’t swear to it but I do have flashbacks of it and it sure looked real . I spent a lot of time there in my youth . And had a lot of friends there a long time ago .

Last edited:
The Elisa should still be there.
9243CAAE-C67C-4910-BC2F-0F4DD97CB9EF.jpeg

Strand to Elisa near Willie G’s.
3F151974-CA74-48DC-B367-4EDCC2B37B16.jpeg

Clearer pic.

That’s it just left of Willy Gs , now your Gonna make me go snooping down there and see what else I can find . There used to be a huge block of sulfur where it was stored and loaded and shipped from , rail and barge . Fences weren’t required years ago because dumdasses weren’t invented yet , every time I got near it I would pickup several pounds . I could always find something good to use it for . When I was riding tug boats we would move a surfer barge occasionally .

Has a announcement about her future been made? I recall there was discussion regarding her future location. Not sure if that was ever resolved.

Neat thread. Reading through it made me realize for the very first time--
When I graduated from the Coast Guard boot camp I reported to a "ship" while it was in drydock (in Maryland) , fast foreword ~4 years later when I'm leaving the patrol boat I'm stationed on is high and dry- once again ...in dry dock (New Orleans). 4 years in, at least 3 months of those with the boat I'm on in drydock.

Growing up close to the Battleship Texas- in Pasadena- I spent a lot of hours in my youth crawling around that hull.
That dry dock picture makes her look a whole lot bigger than she did from the San Jacinto Monuments observation deck.

I believe it's going to live in Galveston.
I know Beaumont is out, have not heard if Baytown is still in or not, but seems I did hear Galveston is probably where she will end up. Would be neat if she could go to Seawolf Park with the sub and destroyer, but don't know if there is enough space for her there.

Edit: On 3/1 the Battleship Texas Foundation stated Beaumont and Baytown are no longer being considered, but did not name a final location.

Last edited:
I know Beaumont is out, have not heard if Baytown is still in or not, but seems I did hear Galveston is probably where she will end up. Would be neat if she could go to Seawolf Park with the sub and destroyer, but don't know if there is enough space for her there.

Edit: On 3/1 the Battleship Texas Foundation stated Beaumont and Baytown are no longer being considered, but did not name a final location.
I always thought it would be good down in Corpus also. By the aircraft carrier Lexington. But Seawolf is also a good option.

Along the Texas coast there are not any other locations that make a better choice than Galveston.
More visitors to Galveston than any other Texas coastal location; cruise ships
Houston is less than an hour away: fourth largest US city, served by two international airports.

It’s just a matter of picking the best available spot on the island for it.

Back