• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft Fall Foliage Hard Dual Sport Ride - Fri to Sun I October 14th - 16th 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Sander
3rd Annual Cloudcroft Fall Foliage
Hard Dual Sport Ride

Friday, October 14 thru Sunday, October 16, 2022
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Lincoln National Forest

Since I missed a day on the Smokey Bear ride, I need some more Cloudcroft singletrack time and to do some exploring on trails I haven't ridden. Such as the The Alamo Canyon trail.

Who is in?

Group up each morning about 9a? HERE

Pre-ride dinner - Thursday, October 13, 2022 @ 630p.
Cloudcroft Brewing Company
1301 Burro Ave, Cloudcroft, NM 88317

Rim trail - October 2013
IMG_2918.JPG

Map
Click the image or link below to view the map, hard copies can be obtained for free at the forest service office.
4 Lost Lodge Rd. Cloudcroft, NM 88317
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
Phone: 575-682-2551

1656024338030.png
Sacramento Ranger District (Cloudcroft area)

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM's) are your legal documents for where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

Lincoln National Forest
OHV Trail Riding

Last edited:
Hmmmm….. I might take this as a chance to redo my failed NM trip from last week. I’m not plated so I will probably camp out in the forest.

The GASGAS lost some points on this one. The Beta Xtrainer motored right up in July. And the XR400 always has in the past. There did seem to be some recent erosion though.

That starting switchback spot looks very familar. Alamo Peak Trail?

If I get to go, I will lead a group down Alamo on Saturday the 15th. Best to be plated (I am not lol) so we can exit and go through Alamogordo. Other option is to attempt to find 103 where it intersects 104 (Alamo) near the end and go back up. Fit and strong riders only that like a challenge. If we exit through Alamo Canyon we can hit Dry Canyon at the gun range and go up to West Side road that way. Also fairly high high degree of difficulty on that one too. Heavy rains through Dry Canyon over the last few years washed all the sand away leaving large rocks. Sounds like a fun day to me. This would not be a dual sport ride. Dirt bikes only.

I'll be in the neighborhood for this one. Probably show up a few days early since heading down from the mountains about this time.

Seen while scouting.
Hiking only trail but a nice walk out to a view of White Sands. Top part is a narrow trail up to the old railroad bed then out to the overlook. Lower trail ends at the road then hike back up to where you parked at the upper trailhead.

Last edited:
I had a blowout in the RV that did quite a bit of damage, so it’s out of commission for a few weeks. But I just reserved a cabin and will be taking my wife and daughter with me.

Also, got the plate for the CRF250RX Monday, so I’m looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back