• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft Fall Foliage Hard Dual Sport Ride - Fri to Sun I October 14th - 16th 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiking only trail but a nice walk out to a view of White Sands. Top part is a narrow trail up to the old railroad bed then out to the overlook. Lower trail ends at the road then hike back up to where you parked at the upper trailhead.

I just now realized Sander posted a pic of a really nice vintage dual sport bike, not a hiking sign. Y'all need to call me out when I am that dumb, lol.

Tomorrow is two weeks from kick stands up.

Now I need to decide which bike makes the trip, the Honda XR400R or GASGAS EC 300.

The GASGAS got to go over Labor Day so maybe it’s the XRs turn.

I’m ready to do some of this.

And some of this.

We may time the aspens just right - https://www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/

Just left CC and Las Cruces last Thursday. Have cleared my schedule for this and if its not cold and rainy, will attend. Othwrwise, may head back to Las Cruces. Crf450rl.

Oct. 15 is one of the two Trinity site open house events held each year. You can visit the site between 8 - 2 by going through the Stallion range gate near Sorroco. It's a drive to get there. Here's a pretty good write up of history.

Near as I can tell, a visit involves seeing a marker at ground zero and reading some plaques on the surrounding fence. I'll be riding motorcycles with friends in the Lincoln nf.

Got in late last night really just for a quick day of R&R. Take a walk with the dogs, putt around in the Mule, fix me a whiskey, etc. This time of year in the Sacramento Mountains is spectacular. No crowds, no Side by Sides, no endless parade of loud Harleys headed down the road outside my door.

This is a short walk from my place. Cloudcroft indeed.

1665249243220.png

Well, I don't think dust will be a problem this coming weekend. :-P It rained steady all night Friday night, and was raining again today when we left. Sun and dry weather for a few days will have premium conditions this weekend. Some aspen groves are at peak color now and some have hardly started to change. All the oaks and others are just starting to change. Should be perfect for leaf peeping.

Come on sun (although my dogs sure love a good mud puddle).
1665353943761.png

Attachments

• 1665353753475.png
    1665353753475.png
    821 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Best case scenario is arriving really late Thursday. Worst case is arriving really late Friday. Saturday I am in no matter. Will ride dual sport route Friday, all dirt Saturday with a trek down Alamo Canyon. Will offer up my backyard Friday night (as long as I make it Thursday night) if anyone wants to gather around the fire and swap stories.

I'll be moving up to the dispersed area just off 568 on Thursday. Bout a mile from the pavilion. Pizza sounds good. See ya'll there.

It was 46 this morning in High Rolls at the cabin we’re in. We rode up to Cloudcroft to get a couple things and it was 36. That was at about 8:30 this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back