• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dakar 2024

I can't believe you'd build up a little event like the Dakar and compare it to the vicious sand whoops of the Memphis, TX Cottonboll Enduro. :duck:
Wow, haven't thought about the Cottonboll in a long time. Yeah, that little Dakar thing would have been a good training exercise for the infamous Cottonboll! Lol

Reactions: TNC
Wow, haven't thought about the Cottonboll in a long time. Yeah, that little Dakar thing would have been a good training exercise for the infamous Cottonboll! Lol
LOL!...yeah, RG's comment about the Texas enduro circuit just caused me to reminisce...LOL! I love the Dakar, and I would never seriously compare that death march event to our state circuit events.

However, other than a couple of nasty, hard mud run enduros that occurred in my circuit years of racing, I recall a Memphis enduro that occurred when it was still unseasonably warm...no, it was downright hot...and the course ran through miles and miles of sand whoops like I'd never seen before or after in that event. Also the club had maxed out the mileage. I think I can remember the route sheet total was something like a hair over 130 miles with resets and stops obviously reducing that in actual on-the-ground mileage. Other than a rare 2-day event, it was the longest actual ground mile enduro I raced in over two decades on the circuit. It was pretty brutal which was not the norm for that enduro.

Even then it would pale in comparison to the torture test of the Dakar, but it was fun remembering some of our old circuit enduro events. I still have the Cottonboll enduro patch handed out to the riders by the club that used to be common back then. :D

sanderjavant, did your playback from MAVTV have an infrequent commercial break that played while they were still having the Dakar coverage playing in a companion window?​

Yes, that commercial break playing at the same time as the DAKAR on MAVTV was disapointing. I don't mind commercials, but to play 'over' your paid show... ☹

Looks to be the exact same coverage, just shortened dramatically. Being day one there was a good deal of ceremony, a Peterhansel segment, and more team detail, but that Youtube is an excerpt of the exact same coverage.

I have both MAVTV (through YoutubeTV) and Peacock Plus.

MAVTV - First DAKAR show was ~ 1 hour with a handful of ancillary stories / history of the racers and race
Peacock - First DAKAR show was the ~20 minute show Sander showed above. The footage and commentary were identical to the MAVTV broadcast.

The extra stuff on MAVTV was nice, but I still may cancel it since 1) Peacock is showing the portion of the race I want to see and 2) they are doing commercials 'over' the broadcast so you are missing it. I will watch today and see if the same thing happens.

But either way, DAKAR and Supercross at the same time... I love this time of year! :-D

The extra stuff on MAVTV was nice, but I still may cancel it since 1) Peacock is showing the portion of the race I want to see and 2) they are doing commercials 'over' the broadcast so you are missing it. I will watch today and see if the same thing happens.

I haven't seen Season 2, Episode 2 come up in Peacock just yet (I thought it would be there by this morning), but I will stick with MAVTV for full coverage. There are also plenty of good 'short' updates on free Youtube channels.

Last edited:
Watching the way those bikes are squirreling around in deep sand and their speed put a crease in the seat of my recliner. Thanks for posting this up.

It kills me that the "Extended" highlights last barely 2 minutes for bikes... I have all but lost interest in the event because the coverage is so minimal and boring. There is no story or hook to make it interesting. I remember watching coverage from back when they raced in Africa when Marc Coma was still racing. They had so much better coverage and the racing was actually exciting to watch. In this day and age where we have all kinds of low cost tiny cameras with excellent image quality, there is no excuse for the lack of coverage. They should have cameras on every bike that the rider is not responsible for. I think they did something like this with the Erzberg Enduro. At check points they would have media people that would swap out memory cards so they could get the footage edited before the race ended. The Dakar people could stand to take some lessons. I also wish they would get back to racing the actual Paris-Dakar or go back to South America. Racing in Saudi Arabia only year after year gets kind of old.

Looks like at that half way point in the huge "empty quarter" marathon stage that Ricky Brabec may have taken the overall. I've been watching his progress, and he seems to be playing the smart game of pacing to win the event. In the past this has usually involved saving your machine, playing a smart navigational approach, and not putting priority on winning stages. It sounds weird, but the Dakar isn't a one or two day enduro.

Speeding penalty??? I'm not up on Dakar rules. Is this like the old enduro race timing?
No, there's speed controlled areas. Sometimes in the middle of a special if it runs through a populated area, otherwise it's usually on the the other parts of the day's ride.

Last edited:
The Chrono stages were a real plus to the event; almost like getting back to the original concept of the Dakar;
Tool me a while to understand the A-F? bivouac but it is an interesting twist to the plot.

Maybe they should make the whole Dakar like this.... Maybe they should make the whole Dakar like this?
won't work I know as equipement needs servicing but I like the idea of the Big Boys staying tents just like
the little guys and having them service their own vehicles,

Reactions: TNC
The Chrono stages were a real plus to the event; almost like getting back to the original concept of the Dakar;
Tool me a while to understand the A-F? bivouac but it is an interesting twist to the plot.

Maybe they should make the whole Dakar like this.... Maybe they should make the whole Dakar like this?
won't work I know as equipement needs servicing but I like the idea of the Big Boys staying tents just like
the little guys and having them service their own vehicles,
Agree...and actually it looked like the competitors were having a good time in that camp...or maybe just creative editing...LOL! The weather at camp looked pretty much ideal. Might have been a different story with a sand storm. :shock:

Here we are at stage 9 coverage today, and I gotta say that I'm enjoying the MAVTV segment "Dakar Legends". Some of the video and stories of the old Dakar have been awesome with many of them told by the original participants themselves. Also the coverage video seems to be getting better...like perhaps the video crews, or the editing, or something are learning or the ability to get closer to the action has improved. Brabec first for three days now looks good.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 9.12.51 AM.png

Back