• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Downsize/Downgrade. Am I crazy?

I'm ready to down size to a trail bike. No need for a CRF450 when riding alone. My pace now is more similar to a trail bike anyway.

It depends. If the touring days are over then downsizing makes complete sense to me.

I tried downsizing several years ago when I went from a K16GT to a R12RS BMW. I then spent the next 5 years adding things to the RS in an attempt to turn it into a long distance tourer. I finally gave up and purchased a '22R1250RT and couldn't be happier. I originally thought my age would slow the touring, but the opposite has actually happened.

The RT takes good care of me in good and bad weather.

Little by little, piece by piece, it's going back together. Linkage and Swingarm bearings tomorrow, and then I'll be real close.
IMG_3324.jpeg

Just a little update. Bike back together, running well, working through some minor kinks that aren't actually problems, more just set up issues. Still not sure if this is the right choice for me. Time will tell, but it's looking more and more like the Tiger may get shown the door. It's also looking more and more like I may have two motorcycles and one VERY angry wife.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3413.JPEG
    IMG_3413.JPEG
    582.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    652.3 KB · Views: 21
8 suppressors alone this year already, plus a new bike purchase says otherwise. The other day I saw her shopping for lime and acid. :lol2:

The year is still young too.

How have the wait times been on cans in your experience? I’ve heard they’ve been short for a lot of people lately.

The year is still young too.

How have the wait times been on cans in your experience? I’ve heard they’ve been short for a lot of people lately.
I actually just responded to one of Chip Roy's staffers in regards to inquiring with the ATF again about some well overdue Form 4's. Deep into the 100's on two of them. We're not a week out since the ATF announced in their town hall that individual applications would be in under 48 hours and trusts in under a week. I ordered two cans just this week and certified them to see if I can prime the pump. Tired of waiting.

I have no cans because of all that BS. Not worth it to me even though I'd like one.
Buying one is about 5 minutes of your time in regards to paperwork if you use a silencer shop kiosk. Individual applications are done in 48 hours or less now, many same day in the last month and that is the new normal. Trusts should be under a week shortly. No reason not to anymore.

Buying one is about 5 minutes of your time in regards to paperwork if you use a silencer shop kiosk. Individual applications are done in 48 hours or less now, many same day in the last month and that is the new normal. Trusts should be under a week shortly. No reason not to anymore.

I need to do a form 1 and order a can. Sounds like I should get busy.

dont ever sell a tiger. They are great bikes with low resale value. They are so nice to tour on as well. Add a Corbin and Madstad and you are done with essential upgrades.

Hiram Maxim actually called them silencers. Invented them at the same as what we now call mufflers for cars and also called them silencers. They're basically the same thing just stuck in the end of different pipes. Somehow one was embraced and the other shunned.

dont ever sell a tiger. They are great bikes with low resale value. They are so nice to tour on as well. Add a Corbin and Madstad and you are done with essential upgrades.
Well, when I bought mine, it was new old stock, from a dealership that was going out of business. I got a screaming deal on it to start with. Of course if I sold it now I'd still lose money, but but not a lot. If I sold it now I'd probably only be out about $2000, and I've gotten at least that much enjoyment out of it the last 4 years. BUT, as you said, nice to tour on and can really eat up the highway miles. The part where I'm loving this WRR harkens back to the "its more fun to ride a slow bike fast". The Tiger is great but can't really stretch it's legs on the type of riding I like to do. In fact, the entire reason I bought it is because I was living in Houston and I had to eat up so many highway and interstate miles just to get to the type of roads I like to ride. Now I live right in the middle of it.

I'd like to take at least one long trip on the WRR, and then one long trip on the Tiger, and see if I can live with half the motorcycle.
Suppressor sounds so much more ______.
Yeah, but all the cool kids say "can". :deal:
Hiram Maxim actually called them silencers. Invented them at the same as what we now call mufflers for cars and also called them silencers. They're basically the same thing just stuck in the end of different pipes. Somehow one was embraced and the other shunned.
The unfortunate reality most don't realize is even silencers aren't really hearing safe. Modern tech and materials is getting us close but some things just never will be.

The unfortunate reality most don't realize is even silencers aren't really hearing safe. Modern tech and materials is getting us close but some things just never will be.
That's true but it's not the silencer's fault. It's the supersonic crack of the bullet. Honestly though, I've never really minded that. I don't normally wear ears when shooting my 20" barrel 22LR because it's so quiet. Might not be technically hearing safe, but it's never bothered me.

Last edited:
I'd like to take at least one long trip on the WRR, and then one long trip on the Tiger, and see if I can live with half the motorcycle.

Back on topic, do you think you could go without the power of the bigger bike? I enjoy smaller bikes whenever I get to ride them, but an always happy to get back on my Africa Twin with it's power when riding in traffic or at highway speeds. The CRF300 rally has soaked to be since launch, but I'm not sure if be happy on anything much under 650cc for my road going general use. The DR650 I ride for years had 40hp or so and gobs of torque. I might could live with a 450 or someone that had similar power, but I just question having 28hp and very little torque to back it up. Maybe one day when I'm flush with cash (hah!) I'll get one and give it a try myself!

That's true but it's not the silencer's fault. It's the supersonic crack of the bullet. Honestly though, I've never really minded that. I don't normally wear ears when sitting my 20" barrel 22LR because it's so quiet. Might not be technically hearing safe, but it's never bothered me.
Most rimfires are hearing safe. I've got a YHM Phantom 22 locked up in Form 4 jail right now that I'm looking forward to trying out. It's the gas guns that have trouble getting down to hearing safe. I have a CAT Alley Cat 308 locked up as well for my AR10, that is a lbp can. Should be pretty dang close to hearing safe and not get a face full of gas.

Most rimfires are hearing safe. I've got a YHM Phantom 22 locked up in Form 4 jail right now that I'm looking forward to trying out. It's the gas guns that have trouble getting down to hearing safe. I have a CAT Alley Cat 308 locked up as well for my AR10, that is a lbp can. Should be pretty dang close to hearing safe and not get a face full of gas.
I want a flow through for my AR. It'd likely be ok for me to shoot if needed, but probably still wise to wear ears in a group.

Back on topic, do you think you could go without the power of the bigger bike? I enjoy smaller bikes whenever I get to ride them, but an always happy to get back on my Africa Twin with it's power when riding in traffic or at highway speeds. The CRF300 rally has soaked to be since launch, but I'm not sure if be happy on anything much under 650cc for my road going general use. The DR650 I ride for years had 40hp or so and gobs of torque. I might could live with a 450 or someone that had similar power, but I just question having 28hp and very little torque to back it up. Maybe one day when I'm flush with cash (hah!) I'll get one and give it a try myself!
Well, that remains to be seen. So far not having the power hasn't been an issue, and in fact, I'm enjoying NOT having it. It's fun to be on a two lane twisty black top, banging through the gears, and maybe if I'm lucky exceeding the posted speed limit by 10mph. My Tiger if I tried to do that in sport mode I'd be pretty close to triple digit speeds in no time. I did have to spend a little time jumping on and off 290 yesterday as I made my way South back towards Blanco and it was tolerable. Stay right, 6th gear, pin it, and just understand you aren't going to pass anyone. Like I said to Boulder Ed, I need to take both on a decent trip here in the next few months and see if half the motorcycle is something I can really live with. It's also great because it's just so easy to work on, and everything is literally half the cost that it would be on the Tiger.

I want a flow through for my AR. It'd likely be ok for me to shoot if needed, but probably still wise to wear ears in a group.

The flow through cans have some issues from the little bit of research I’ve done. If it’s just for a range toy they’re okay.

But for duty use the popular ones today heat up really fast so they have a huge signature under nods and, as I recall, don’t suppress flash signature all that well compared to a good traditional can.

I cannot see ditching your Triumph but I sure can easily see the fun in riding a small bore on even a long tour. Human Race did it and survivedjust fine on a DRZ400 if I remember correctly. My very first "tour" was on an SL125 Honda back in 1972. I went from San Jose CA across the central valley, over Yosemite's Tioga pass, up US395 to Kingsbury grade by Gardnerville, then hit south shore Lake Tahoe and back down Highway 50 and on interstate 80 at 48mph during the 55 mph phase of national speed limits. 625 miles total and I had the time of my life! I carry so much gear now, I have no idea where I'd reduce for a smaller bore ride if camping.

Back