• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Had triple bypass Wednesday.

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
Not something I recommend. I finally got the last tube out today. No driving or lifting more than 8# for a month. But I was supposed to be offshore fishing this weekend. So it could have been worse. I had a mild heart attack in 1995 at the age of 37. This time three arteries were 80 % blocked. Wheee!

Glad they found it and got you going.

Daaaaang!!! The road back from that goes a lot quicker than one would think. My old MX buddy from Iowa had it 2 months ago. Super athletic and a rock climbing instructor in Colorado and up and down Central and South America, but it runs in the family. Another former friend had it 10 years ago, was a human garbage can that did NOT change his ways, and he's still ticking to this day. You will do well. Very glad you are on the mend!!

Not something I recommend. I finally got the last tube out today. No driving or lifting more than 8# for a month. But I was supposed to be offshore fishing this weekend. So it could have been worse. I had a mild heart attack in 1995 at the age of 37. This time three arteries were 80 % blocked. Wheee!
I say heal up quick and go fishing after you feel up to it.

Glad you feel better and everything went well. If you don't mind me asking were there any symptoms that alerted you to a problem.

I had a quad bypass 2/2015, like getting hit by a locomotive, I used that chest squeezer for coughs and sneezes, good luck! Be sure and do the RE-Hab 100%

Wow, you ought to feel so much better now that your getting profusion back! Good luck and good times to come!

Glad you feel better and everything went well. If you don't mind me asking were there any symptoms that alerted you to a problem.
Sudden pain in the middle of my back when I was just standing, followed by pain that radiated around my chest.

Dude!
Glad you are still with us.
I'm sure the docs have already told you: diet, exercise and regular checkups.
I recently had my coronary artery calcium score scan and was surprised at the result.
My BMI is 22.8 so you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Dude!
Glad you are still with us.
I'm sure the docs have already told you: diet, exercise and regular checkups.
I recently had my coronary artery calcium score scan and was surprised at the result.
My BMI is 22.8 so you can't judge a book by it's cover.
It’s largely hereditary for me. But I had gone three or four years without a stress test. A combination of job changes and fighting with insurance companies. My first attack was on the soccer field when I was 37.

I'll pray for fast, complete healing. I have appointments coming up to get the stress test and echo tests simply as a preventive measure to see where I stand. A heart attack is really damaging so the bypass is a great thing.

Dad gum, Dan. Glad you're on the other side of it. Prayers of healing and guidance. Guidance, 'cause he still has things for you to do this side of eternity (as do we all.)

Glad you got through it. What’s up with the 37 yr point? I had my first heart attack at 37, and the second at 52. Got 5 stents holding the pipes open. LAD is totally blocked, but has 4 collateral arteries bypassing it. Doc says he doesn’t want to crack me open for 1 artery. Hopefully the third one won’t be the charm.

My symptoms were:
1) Mowed grass a week before in 100+ temps and had chest pain. Blew it off as heat issues. When it hit me, it was the classic elephant on my chest, hurt like nothing I’ve ever felt before. I’d breathe out and couldn’t take in as much, due to the elephant syndrome. Then I started puking every 15 mins on the dot. Took an hour to call 911 due to being hard-headed.

2) Sitting on the couch watching a movie, and it felt like someone hit me in the chest. Called 911 immediately. Paramedics were in the house in 4 mins, and I was on the cath table 25 mins after calling.

Fortunate that there was no muscle damage either time.

Younger brother never complained about anything, and dropped dead last June of a massive attack at 52. All of my hospital visits have been in June.

You can fight your genetics, but you can’t beat them. Heart attacks have gotten everyone in the family except paternal grandparents.

Dad gum, Dan. Glad you're on the other side of it. Prayers of healing and guidance. Guidance, 'cause he still has things for you to do this side of eternity (as do we all.)
Absolutely right. Thanks, brother.

Glad you got through it. What’s up with the 37 yr point? I had my first heart attack at 37, and the second at 52. Got 5 stents holding the pipes open. LAD is totally blocked, but has 4 collateral arteries bypassing it. Doc says he doesn’t want to crack me open for 1 artery. Hopefully the third one won’t be the charm.

My symptoms were:
1) Mowed grass a week before in 100+ temps and had chest pain. Blew it off as heat issues. When it hit me, it was the classic elephant on my chest, hurt like nothing I’ve ever felt before. I’d breathe out and couldn’t take in as much, due to the elephant syndrome. Then I started puking every 15 mins on the dot. Took an hour to call 911 due to being hard-headed.

2) Sitting on the couch watching a movie, and it felt like someone hit me in the chest. Called 911 immediately. Paramedics were in the house in 4 mins, and I was on the cath table 25 mins after calling.

Younger brother never complained about anything, and dropped dead last June of a massive attack at 52. All of my hospital visits have been in June.

You can fight your genetics, but you can’t beat them. Heart attacks have gotten everyone in the family except paternal grandparents.
My first was on the soccer field. I was only 90% blocked in the LAD, and the exertion of a hard game brought it on. Likely saved my life.

My symptoms were:

Are you symptom free with medically therapies? I ask because we have a doc that specializes in opening CTO's(chronic total occlusions). Also, with the LAD they can do a minimally invasive surgery in some cases.

A cousin had a quad bypass done through his arm somehow in Houston a few months ago. No split sternum or any of that misery. He is doing awesome and feeling great. If any of you have issues that may have you needing a bypass do your homework now and try to get the best care possible. The old split the chest thing is brutal and you may be able to avoid that. If Houston is a possibility check out Methodist and Baylor St Lukes. Both are leading edge for the world. After a very aggressive cancer in '99 I learned to do homework in advance in choosing a Doc for something you may need in the future. Heat of the moment decisions are not the best, be ready.

Never heard of a bypass done through the arm. An angioplasty with a stent (or multiple stents), sure. But that's totally different. I had a stent in 1995.

Last edited:
Back