• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Had triple bypass Wednesday.

A cousin had a quad bypass done through his arm somehow in Houston a few months ago. No split sternum or any of that misery. He is doing awesome and feeling great. If any of you have issues that may have you needing a bypass do your homework now and try to get the best care possible. The old split the chest thing is brutal and you may be able to avoid that. If Houston is a possibility check out Methodist and Baylor St Lukes. Both are leading edge for the world. After a very aggressive cancer in '99 I learned to do homework in advance in choosing a Doc for something you may need in the future. Heat of the moment decisions are not the best, be ready.
I'm assuming he had stents placed in 4 blockages via a catheter through his radial artery. Minimally invasive bypass is done through the ribs and there are limitations to what can be fixed in that manner.

Small chest incisions but not through the arm.
I've heard patients say that the pain from the chest wall incision is worse than the sternotomy. That's just anecdotal on my part. I do the caths. I don't really see the pt's on the recovery side of things.

Not something I recommend. I finally got the last tube out today. No driving or lifting more than 8# for a month. But I was supposed to be offshore fishing this weekend. So it could have been worse. I had a mild heart attack in 1995 at the age of 37. This time three arteries were 80 % blocked. Wheee!

I didn't see anything about no riding, or no fishing.......just can't catch fish over7.99 pounds!! Get better soon brother! ;-)

I didn't see anything about no riding, or no fishing.......just can't catch fish over7.99 pounds!! Get better soon brother! ;-)
They actually said no motorcycle riding. But I don’t have a bike anymore.

Sudden pain in the middle of my back when I was just standing, followed by pain that radiated around my chest.
Just saw this thread, Im sure your getting back in the swing of things. I had my Triple Bypass in 2009. Triggered by initially by doing 25 push ups to win a hat at a trade show, then later when wrestling with my son. I've kept my Coast Guard License, though they really made me jump through hoops. Forces me to keep up with my annuals. You will get back to normal. or more likely better. Less fatigued and much stronger. still guiding at 65 and throwing a 10 ft net. (with one leg) heart attack was 25 years to the day after I mangled my leg resulting in amputation. Very fortunate we have been given second and third chances.

Years ago my mom had a heart valve replaced in a clinical trial via the artery in her groin instead of splitting her open.
My Dad had that surgery, TWICE, back in the dark ages. First in 1958 in Shreveport, they just went in and cleaned out the valve best they could. Then in 1964 in Houston, Dr. Denton Cooley replaced it with artificial valve. Bought him a few years. Those were ugly scars.

My Dad had that surgery, TWICE, back in the dark ages. First in 1958 in Shreveport, they just went in and cleaned out the valve best they could. Then in 1964 in Houston, Dr. Denton Cooley replaced it with artificial valve. Bought him a few years. Those were ugly scars.
Since you mentioned scars I'm assuming he had the old style "split you up the middle" surgery and not the "up the vein" surgery?

Since you mentioned scars I'm assuming he had the old style "split you up the middle" surgery and not the "up the vein" surgery?
Yes sir, split his chest TWO times. Seems sometimes they go through ribs from the side but his was chest both times. Still a serious surgery but can you imagine 1958 in a smaller city!

Update: I'm doing very well. I feel better now than I did before the bypass. I'm not restricted in any way.

Great news! :thumb:

Same great report from my old D22 racing buddy. He's like 5'7", looks like a Greek statue carving with zero body fat, and has been in Boulder for decades as a senior instructor with all the certifications for Colorado Mountain School. He's one of those insane people that send pictures of him dangling off a rock a million feet in the air all over this side of the planet that makes me nauseous. Genetics got him, but he is already back hiking and chomping at the bit to climb.

Fabulous that everyone I know that went through this came out so much better.

Great news! :thumb:

Same great report from my old D22 racing buddy. He's like 5'7", looks like a Greek statue carving with zero body fat, and has been in Boulder for decades as a senior instructor with all the certifications for Colorado Mountain School. He's one of those insane people that send pictures of him dangling off a rock a million feet in the air all over this side of the planet that makes me nauseous. Genetics got him, but he is already back hiking and chomping at the bit to climb.

Fabulous that everyone I know that went through this came out so much better.
Yeah, genetics can really do you in. That has been my problem. And my son has had three heart attacks, all before the age of 33. Of course, he didn't stop smoking after the first one . . .

Welcome to the zipper club! I had my quad bypass in 2015, kinda like getting hit by a freight train, 7 years later 1/2 of my chest is still numb, one side is fine, I was still doing my re-had up until the Covid, glad I didn't google bypass before I had mine.

Yeah, genetics can really do you in. That has been my problem. And my son has had three heart attacks, all before the age of 33. Of course, he didn't stop smoking after the first one . . .

My former friend, the human garbage can, must be on 8-ish years after his quad, then another emergency one, and serious psychological issues after being split, is as far as I know still doing ok (moved to OKC) and changed not one thing that got him there. His marriage fell apart, their house was sold, and off they went. The person he became I could not recognize or relate to anymore. We had a lot of good times, he made stupid money and lived in Stone Oak, but was always living on De Nile. He's the textbook for how NOT to do this. Glad all others I know are doing great.

Neither did a friend of mine back in the 80s. He was dead within six months of being released from the hospital. :-(
And . . . He couldn’t afford his meds. The doc wouldn’t prescribe a generic. Why he didn’t get anothe doc I don’t know. He has a strong streak of fatalism. I pray for him daily.

My wife's father who is 92 had a stint up the right wrist to correct an 80 percent block this morning at Scott White Round Rock. He is sitting on edge of bed . They said he can't move arm for 24 hours and will go home soon . He had a heart attack Thursday. Really amazing proceedure

Stents are still through the arm or maybe groin. My understanding was the classical multiple bypass is right through the chest still. A friend had one in CO a few months back. It was not easy on him.

My BIL got an EKG last week ahead of some ankle surgery next month and it showed that he had had a "silent" heart attack at some point, so now he's freaking out. BP is sky high which I would attribute to his stress level. He had an Echo this morning and provided a pint of blood this afternoon because his red blood cell count is sky high too. I'm not sure when we'll hear the results as my sister is stressing too, but that's the norm for her. Hopefully this is just something minor.

Nothing about that sounds "minor" to me. Hopefully he gets good medical advice, gets to a great cardiologist and takes his advice. Regarding the other cases mentioned it is sad to hear when some ignore what can save their life. Some are so self centered they ignore how this affects those around/close to them.

Back