• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Have you seen the new 3 wheeler?

you're going to compare one of the largest auto makers in the world, with tremendous purchasing power and the ability to exploit scale and the cheapest labor sources in the word with this garage operation?

Even the big 4 Japanese motorcycle makers can barely put a bike on the market for $6.8k. And this company has a whole lot more in common with a low-volume manufacturer like Boss Hoss than it does with Honda.

I still think it's a grab for investment capital with no realistic chance of ever happening.

Excuse the f out of me.

Sadly, startups like this usually end up in one of two ways. They're either started by enthusiastic and slightly idealistic entrepreneurs who far underestimate the cost of launching and running a business. Or, they end up being essentially scams. The history of electric cars, three-wheel cars, etc, is unfortunately dotted with both.

I wish these folks the best. But if they're serious builders, I think they'll have a rude awakening at the real cost of getting a vehicle down an assembly line and into the hands of a dealer or purchaser at break-even price, much less turning a profit. And that's without startup costs. Property? Tooling? Insurance? That list would probably wrap around a small city.

They have ex big three execs on their board, a deal on a million square foot ex GM factory, and $100 million in start up capital. I have no horse in this race, just saying.

sorry, I didn't mean to sound so hostile :doh:

I do think it's a cool design, and I would buy one for commuting if it actually materializes. Probably not a puke-green one though :lol2:

sorry, I didn't mean to sound so hostile :doh:

I do think it's a cool design, and I would buy one for commuting if it actually materializes. Probably not the puke-green on though :lol2:

Both our analyses are overly simplistic, but neither of us is in a position to know the whole story.

I likes it and wish them luck. They need to put a real grill up front though.
I'm probably not a buy but kudos to them if they can sell at that price point.

How about bringing some diesels over? I will take the VW 1.4 TDI please.

Even the big 4 Japanese motorcycle makers can barely put a bike on the market for $6.8k. And this company has a whole lot more in common with a low-volume manufacturer like Boss Hoss than it does with Honda.

So...kawasaki & honda use the money from the big bikes to produce and 'sell' their 250's in the 3k range?

suppliers have been announced, and design improvements made.
strangely I did not see engine supplier listed.

Me either - local news had some pictures of a silver model that looks
much-mo-better..They may be running into a snag with the money Shreveport was supposed to throw at the business.....Love to LAUGH at Shreveport politics...

To the top!

Looks like they are taking reservations now....

http://reservations.eliomotors.com/i-want-in.html

6342 reservations as of 12/27/2012
Mr. Elio said he expects his company to begin commercial vehicle production in first quarter 2015, with significant hiring at the Caddo Parish facility to begin by the fourth quarter of 2014 and full employment to be reached in late 2015.

To the top!

Looks like they are taking reservations now....

http://reservations.eliomotors.com/i-want-in.html

6342 reservations as of 12/27/2012
Mr. Elio said he expects his company to begin commercial vehicle production in first quarter 2015, with significant hiring at the Caddo Parish facility to begin by the fourth quarter of 2014 and full employment to be reached in late 2015.

They have been taking reservations for a long time. Back when they projected production to be mid 2014.

Last edited:
homepage http://www.eliomotors.com/
found this blog http://eliomotors.wordpress.com/author/eliomotors/
also an Elio forum http://www.elioowners.com/index.php
it sounds too good to be true, and you know what that means.
2015 delivery means the factory needs to be seriously under construction now, it isn't.
I am less skeptical than a few months ago but still have trouble believing the price and 84 mpg claim. That's better than a lot of 2 wheeled vehicles.
Wait and see, I guess. If you have money to put out and aren't afraid to lose it, a deposit would be right for you.

And I believe in the tooth fairy too. OK. Shame on me for doubting this guy. Bob, I hope very much that you are the first kid on the block to have a new Elio. Personally, I'm keeping my wallet in my pocket. Good luck.

Hummm. I was thinking about a small work car so I don't have to drive the f250 everywhere. I just need something to haul my fat butt around.

I like the idea, and the design. I just think it's economically impossible to hit the price point they're promising. And the whole "pre-order / reservation" system makes me very, very uncomfortable.

I think Bob may be on to something. And it's always nice to listen to a visionary. Already modding a vehicle that hasn't been built. Crash ratings. I saw a news clip on the new frontal impact tests. The smart car bounced like a basketball, backwards.

Wait until I get it and put some knobbies on that bad boy. Do I hear Continental Divide Route calling again? I wonder what its crash rating is?

Having a roof and seat belt would come in handy for ditch jumping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back