• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Have you seen the new 3 wheeler?

Production spoze to start 2015 or 2016 or 2017 or ....

I'm not holding my breath.

I want one but I'm not optimistic they can do it at this price. They are committed to the price of $6,800 but as time marches on inflation is going to make that too slim of a profit for them and their investors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps I am too cynical, but before this ever goes to production the principals in the endeavor will be likely to face prosecution for fraud. This 'vehicle' has been around since the 70s at least. Look up the Dale and Liz Carmichael.

The there is the Tri-vette introduced in 1974. the prototype was completed in 1993 and is currently in production although none have actually been produced. They will also take deposits to this day.

I read somewhere that Elio's warranty service will be performed by Pep Boy's. That right there would keep me from buying a new one. Minimum wage high school drop outs barely qualified for changing tires. But wait 3 years and buy one out of warranty very cheap and wrench on it myself might be considered. Keyword there is very cheap, think used Yugo cheap.

_

I read somewhere that Elio's warranty service will be performed by Pep Boy's. That right there would keep me from buying a new one. Minimum wage high school drop outs barely qualified for changing tires. But wait 3 years and buy one out of warranty very cheap and wrench on it myself might be considered. Keyword there is very cheap, think used Yugo cheap.

_

You are prolly right, but at $6,800 my risk would be low so I would still buy one if they ever make it, which is doubtful.

Geo Metro had FWD, 3 cylinder, about 70hp. Have Americans stolen an Asian engine to clone?

Well if they produce it and have a parts supply chain handled by pep boys (assuming they would handle it since they may be handling the warranty work), then I would be game. Largely dependent on the powertrain though.

So when Bob gets the elio, should we do a drag race with the ural? :)

Sent from my unbreakable Droid Turbo 2

Well, NHTSA is in the process of making a rule change which makes the Elio NOT a motorcycle. In a nutshell, it's a three wheel motorcycle but looks too much like a car (roll up windows, steering wheel, full cab etc) which in their opinion might make people believe it's safer than an actual car.

My gut is telling me the auto industry is behind this, not NHTSA as it has the potential to significantly put a dent in "their" piece of the automotive pie. It's a Motorcycle for crying out loud - there's risk/danger involved with that. But to say it's "too much like a car" so it "can't" be a three wheeled motorcycle is crazy.

Thoughts?

Source:
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/nhtsa-alter-vehicle-code-prevent-3-wheelers-elio-140000250.html

Well, if the elio (and that remains a big IF), ever makes the car/motorcycle, what would make it more dangerous than a smart car?

By it being classed a car would subject an Elio to much higher stringent safety and emission standards than a motorcycle. This actions may kill the Elio.

Last edited:
Well, if the elio (and that remains a big IF), ever makes the car/motorcycle, what would make it more dangerous than a smart car?

By it being classed a car would subject an Elio to much higher stringent safety and emission standards than a motorcycle. This actions may kill the Elio.

I'm just guessing here, but the SMART car probably has car safety measures like crumple zones, impact bumpers and all the other 'safety' stuff cars are required to have.

And my point was, if the Elio is in fact classified as a car, it's dead in the water for that price point. I'll stand by my thought that there's a lot behind the scenes we don't know about other than some big-3 heavy hitters/political capital being spent to keep this from ever seeing the light of day.

I'm just guessing here, but the SMART car probably has car safety measures like crumple zones, impact bumpers and all the other 'safety' stuff cars are required to have.

Elio had been boasting that they expect to get a 5-star crash rating, but that may have been just blowing smoke

And my point was, if the Elio is in fact classified as a car, it's dead in the water for that price point. I'll stand by my thought that there's a lot behind the scenes we don't know about other than some big-3 heavy hitters/political capital being spent to keep this from ever seeing the light of day.

I agree. I had not fully read your link. My bad.

It doesn't look like Elio is going to get enough capital to begin production anyway. Ya gota admit, it would be fun if they ever went into production so I could be the first one to bring it to a pie run. It can't be any less dependable than my Ural.

Last edited:
My buddy is really hoping this thing comes to fruition. 2 or 3 years ago he was hooked by the marketing hype and put $1000 down against the wife's wishes. She hasn't let him forget it. It probably doesn't help that every time I see them I ask, in front of his wife, about the latest "new production date".:lol2:

Back