• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF300L and Rally and LS

What seat did you get ?
I bought a Fisher Seat.

I have used multiple Seat Concepts seats over the years and on various bikes. About 1/3 of the time they were okay, the other 2/3 of the time they were better than stock but not all-day comfortable.

I am on my 3rd seat from Fisher, on 3 different bikes, and all 3 have been excellent. All-day comfortable. I highly recommend them (I have no affiliation, I'm just a fan.)

I bought a Fisher Seat.

I have used multiple Seat Concepts seats over the years and on various bikes. About 1/3 of the time they were okay, the other 2/3 of the time they were better than stock but not all-day comfortable.

I am on my 3rd seat from Fisher, on 3 different bikes, and all 3 have been excellent. All-day comfortable. I highly recommend them (I have no affiliation, I'm just a fan.)
+1 for Fisher. It turns your bike into a Barcalounger on wheels.

I actually like this bike; am considering one. If I get one I'll work off it and keep it for 15 years and then let you know....:thumb:
Mark,

I was thinking about the KLR 650 while watching that video. Twenty years ago, when we had way fewer choices, the KLR was the adventure bike for the masses. The wealthy guys rode BMWs and us regular guys rode KLRs. For a long time, KLRs were the most common bike at my rallies.

In my opinion, the thing that made the KLR so popular back then was a unique combination of price and capability. It was dirt capable, adventure worthy from the factory (rear rack, big gas tank, fairing, highway capable, good ground clearance, sufficient suspension, light weight compared to ginormous adventure bikes, etc), easily upgraded via the aftermarket, and was sold at a comparatively low price. Today, the KLR seems to be less popular because the adventure bike market has caught up - for example, the Tenere 700 weighs about the same as a new KLR but is more capable than a KLR - and the price differential has narrowed enough to make the KLR less attractive compared to bikes like the Tenere 700.

Anyway, as I was watching that video, it occurred to me that the Rally is a lot like the KLR from 20 years ago. The Rally is even more dirt-capable than a KLR while being adventure worthy from the factory, easily upgraded with aftermarket support and is sold at a great price point. It falls short of being a KLR killer due to lack of power, but in my mind everything else about it makes it slot into the same category as the KLR did 20 years ago.

There is a big bore kit available which increases it from 286cc to 301cc, which is admittedly a mild upgrade. If anyone ever comes along with a 350cc big bore kit (or Honda goes crazy and puts a 350 - 400 cc motor in the current chassis) it might become the bike of choice for the everyday man, like the KLR of old.

In the meantime, here's your Rally.

Last edited:
Well, I have a little over 100 miles on the bike. Starting to raise rpm's some, back and forth. I like the ride. Comfortable to me for the bike size. Not sure what others run the rpm's on their bikes at. At 70 it is at 7K. Not buzzy and pretty comfortable. Tomorrow, the day will spent working my way down to Wortham to visit the daughter. Should get 200 to 300 miles in tomorrow. Should be a fun bike at BB.

20240329_135132.jpg

My bike runs about 7K at 70mph. At first, I did not like those rev's, I felt it was to high. I am ok with it now and realize the engine is ok at those rev's.

Mark,

I was thinking about the KLR 650 while watching that video. Twenty years ago, when we had way fewer choices, the KLR was the adventure bike for the masses. The wealthy guys rode BMWs and us regular guys rode KLRs. For a long time, KLRs were the most common bike at my rallies.

In my opinion, the thing that made the KLR so popular back then was a unique combination of price and capability. It was dirt capable, adventure worthy from the factory (rear rack, big gas tank, fairing, highway capable, good ground clearance, sufficient suspension, light weight compared to ginormous adventure bikes, etc), easily upgraded via the aftermarket, and was sold at a comparatively low price. Today, the KLR seems to be less popular because the adventure bike market has caught up - for example, the Tenere 700 weighs about the same as a new KLR but is more capable than a KLR - and the price differential has narrowed enough to make the KLR less attractive compared to bikes like the Tenere 700.

Anyway, as I was watching that video, it occurred to me that the Rally is a lot like the KLR from 20 years ago. The Rally is even more dirt-capable than a KLR while being adventure worthy from the factory, easily upgraded with aftermarket support and is sold at a great price point. It falls short of being a KLR killer due to lack of power, but in my mind everything else about it makes it slot into the same category as the KLR did 20 years ago.

There is a big bore kit available which increases it from 286cc to 301cc, which is admittedly a mild upgrade. If anyone ever comes along with a 350cc big bore kit (or Honda goes crazy and puts a 350 - 400 cc motor in the current chassis) it might become the bike of choice for the everyday man, like the KLR of old.

In the meantime, here's your Rally.
As always; appreciate your thoughtful posts Richard. :thumb:

I like the bike. Normally 2.5 hrs to Wortham. I left this morning at 8:00. Just got here, 3:38. Been taking back roads, visiting core eng lakes. Visiting with park attendants. Even got a senior pass. Not tired of riding. It's a comfortable bike for me. 60 - 70 mph is great for me. Two fuel stop breaks for coffee and lunch, 2 gal and 1.5 gal. About 5/8 still in the tank.
I was already thinking of riding it to Capitan, NM and BB. Surprising, for me, the seat is not bad either.

You traded the 950 for a 300rally? Do you still have the KLR?
@William Wolfen Sir, yes and yes. I loved the 950; most powerful bike I’ve ever owned. A real power wheelie bike….but doesn’t fit the way I work real estate here in Arkansas. And I’ve got limited storage space so something had to go…✌🏻🇺🇸

Last edited:
Took a ride after church and lunch. Went up thru Oran then west on Old Christian Road, north to Halsell Ranch road, then west on Barton Chapel a sort bit to 1191 south from Bryson to Finis road to Graham. Stopped by Aaron's and visited a little then on down to Caddo. More gravel on 104 south to 207 to Strawn. Then east to Gordon . Then 1-20 to Santo. Stopped to visit with a friend. Finally took Dobbs Valley road, the last bit of gravel on the way home. 153 miles today.

20240414_151449.jpg

20240414_164244.jpg

20240414_164250.jpg

Almost 400 miles on the little 300; maybe I have a better feel for what it is and what it is not.
Without getting too windy, for the way I use a motorcycle (as a tool that makes me .65 cents a mile for real estate) I think the pros outweigh the cons. It is slow off the line, but not too bad. I ran up 49 north today at 65 with no problems. My magnetic tank bag works to help with carrying stuff, and I’ve got some old pannier racks that will get butchered for a new rear rack. Someday maybe a better seat (will cut off that stupid strap handle this weekend) And I’m still sitting at or just above 70MPG. Rode about 40 miles of gravel this week, and the Rally handled everything just fine, just mind your gears and she will pull. I think it is a keeper! 😎. @Windmill you should ride one of these, if you haven’t. BTW, after about 150 miles, my fuel gauge is showing 1 little bar left……is that how they all are? First gas gauge I’ve ever had on a bike. Thanks folks…

Back