• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Daughter decided to help with the oil change and grabbed the oil filter and took the shaft out. No clue which end goes in first. Watched a video that said the beveled end goes towards the engine but both ends have a bevel. I noticed one end is larger than the other so question is which end goes towards the engine?

Daughter decided to help with the oil change and grabbed the oil filter and took the shaft out. No clue which end goes in first. Watched a video that said the beveled end goes towards the engine but both ends have a bevel. I noticed one end is larger than the other so question is which end goes towards the engine?
Pretty sure the tapered end goes towards engine.

Is this any reason for concern? It's very blue. Looks like paint so I'm guessing the light blue paint pens they use to make things during assembly.

Attachments

• 20231022_114253.jpg
    20231022_114253.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
Tapered end should go towards the engine. It should actually only fit one way. What Generation is it. Share a pick if you don't mind.

Is this any reason for concern? It's very blue. Looks like paint so I'm guessing the light blue paint pens they use to make things during assembly.
I wouldn't worry about the blue paint. Metal is the biggest concern.

Got it. It's a 3rd gen. The tapered end did go towards the engine. Thx for the help though.
Glad you got it done and glad they didn't change anything for the gen 3 from the sounds of it. Keep that baby girl helping.

Ok. I've had my 22 klr adventure for 2 years now. It only has 800 miles on it. I knew when I bought it it wasn't a speedy bike. But the guys I ride with are planning less and less off road and planning more long trips and a lot of 75mph days so I'm considering selling for something else that can handle that for long periods. Maybe a Versys or something else. What's a rough resale on one? All the original bells and whistles. Everything works. Tall v stream wind screen and risers. Never laid down. Never been rained on. Garage kept.

Attachments

• 20231022_104445.jpg
    20231022_104445.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 33
Before you sell I would consider going to a 17 tooth front sprocket. That should help you keep up and see what you think.

As far as sale price. At 800 miles it's "almost new" so I would bet $6500 at least for a lightly used bike without dealer fees and everything else. I might be off by $500 but I would say it's close.

I know for gen 1 and 2, you could go from a 14-17 without any issue or changing your chain. Can't say for sure on a gen 3.

I run a 16 on mine and it definitely made my 70+mph commute to work much nicer and keeps my RPMs below 4500 most of the time.

So it looks like the 17 tooth can work but does require some modifications to the cover. This post off of eagle mikes website does a good job describing it.

Since you have a 16 I would toss it on and see what you think. I find it interesting that eagle Mike says the 16 tooth makes the speedometer correct on a gen 3. Not sure how much it's off but interesting to see.

Ok. I've had my 22 klr adventure for 2 years now. It only has 800 miles on it. I knew when I bought it it wasn't a speedy bike. But the guys I ride with are planning less and less off road and planning more long trips and a lot of 75mph days so I'm considering selling for something else that can handle that for long periods. Maybe a Versys or something else. What's a rough resale on one? All the original bells and whistles. Everything works. Tall v stream wind screen and risers. Never laid down. Never been rained on. Garage kept.
What kind of riding do you want to do? That is what really matters. If you want to do dual sport stuff, then I would suggest finding different guys to go ride with. If you want to do long trips at freeway(+) speeds, then the KLR just isn't the bike for that, nor is any thumper if you ask me. Can they do it, sure. Do I want to do it while on them, not a chance.

Honestly, since the bike is 2 years old and has 800 miles on it, without knowing a thing about you, I would say that there is something else about this bike that is keeping you from it. So it goes back to the first question, what do you really want to do with a motorcycle?

What kind of riding do you want to do? That is what really matters. If you want to do dual sport stuff, then I would suggest finding different guys to go ride with. If you want to do long trips at freeway(+) speeds, then the KLR just isn't the bike for that, nor is any thumper if you ask me. Can they do it, sure. Do I want to do it while on them, not a chance.

Honestly, since the bike is 2 years old and has 800 miles on it, without knowing a thing about you, I would say that there is something else about this bike that is keeping you from it. So it goes back to the first question, what do you really want to do with a motorcycle?
The low miles if from me getting over an issue from 25 years ago. While in the Navy in Puerto Rico we were biking around the island over a long weekend and my buddy was t boned at an intersection by a drunk driver in a van doing 75. I was supposed to be in lead but had an issue with my gas cap so he took off before me. Didn't touch a bike since 1998. Even at the training class I was visibly shaking just sitting on one. I didn't touch the klr for 3 weeks. Finally rode it around the yard and eventually went out on the back road I live on. So baby steps.

I'm making a really big assumption here with very little to base it on so if it's completely wrong then I'll ask forgiveness. Motorcycling is not for everyone. Most anyone who's been riding with folks for years has seen people who try to get into the sport and soon realize that it's not what they expected. They don't enjoy it. The smart ones accept that and get away from it. Others are often determined to stick with it and make it work because of group expectations. These are the people I've seen get hurt. In my simple minded reasoning this is a sport that either gets into your soul or not...no in-between. If you're honestly not comfortable with it then please walk away unharmed. There are a gazillion other good sports and hobbies out there to choose from that don't risk serious injuries every time you practice. This one most certainly does.

The low miles if from me getting over an issue from 25 years ago. While in the Navy in Puerto Rico we were biking around the island over a long weekend and my buddy was t boned at an intersection by a drunk driver in a van doing 75. I was supposed to be in lead but had an issue with my gas cap so he took off before me. Didn't touch a bike since 1998. Even at the training class I was visibly shaking just sitting on one. I didn't touch the klr for 3 weeks. Finally rode it around the yard and eventually went out on the back road I live on. So baby steps.
If that is the case, then do you really think you are ready for riding with guys that want to do long trips at 75+ mph? You went from not touching a bike for 25 years, to putting 800 miles on in two years. To go from that, to something like "hey, lets go do a 400-500mile day ride" is anything but a baby step if you ask me. With more back story out there, heck, I'd be willing to say to just stick with what you have for the moment and keep on taking those steps one step at a time. While the KLR is certainly not the king of fast and high mileage days, riding around on County Roads, FM roads and some state highways; it is pretty much as much at home there as it is on some gravel and dirt roads.

At the end of the day, you know you best, so make the decision that is going to work best for you and your situation.

Look, I'm not looking for opinions on my riding habits or capabilities. You questioned the low miles so I explained why. Then you start criticizing me for wanting to ride? Sorry but keep your opinion. I'm good. If you have any advice on the bike itself I'd appreciate it. Otherwise please don't respond anymore.

Look, I'm not looking for opinions on my riding habits or capabilities. You questioned the low miles so I explained why. Then you start criticizing me for wanting to ride? Sorry but keep your opinion. I'm good. If you have any advice on the bike itself I'd appreciate it. Otherwise please don't respond anymore.
Wait.... Let me get this straight. You came onto a public internet forum wanting advice, and then received advice from several people that have LOADS more experience on the subject that you will most likely ever have in your lifetime. The advice from every one of those people has been quite similar but obviously all of them are totally incorrect because you know better? In that case, why are you even here asking the questions if you already know the answers?

If you want generic bike advice, go to YouTube and search around. Figure it out on your own and live with whatever choices you make.

Everyone on here so far has given you fantastic and very personalized advice from experience they have gained from lifetimes of being around motorcycles and motorcycle people. They are giving you advice that like it or not, is what they feel in your best interests whether you actually know it or not. And they have done it while trying to keep the kid gloves on because they can tell that they needed to. This last post of yours proves that to all of us. It's like we knew what we were dealing with even though you think we didn't, weird huh? And then you repay them by telling them to shut up and only give you generic bike advice. Gee, thanks for that.

I'll give you both generic bike advice and one last piece of persoanl advice and then you are on your own after that as far as I'm concerned. For the bike, go buy a BMW K1600. It is one of the very best 75+ mph long distance bikes made today. If someone can't ride long distance on that, then they are the problem and not the bike.

For you, from what I've read on here, I 100% agree with @_RG_. Yep, I ride motorcycles... a LOT. And during that time I've seen lots of people come and go, buy bike after bike chasing some thing that, only to eventually totally give up on it or.... get hurt or killed. I've also told LOTS of people to not buy them when they ask me what bike they should get. RG is not wrong at all, they are not for everyone. You seem like you are trying to scratch an itch that probably won't get scratched. If I had to put money on it, I would throw down a pretty sizable amount that says your next bike, no matter how perfect it is, will probably see about the same mileage or less. Because at the end of the day, it isn't the bike.

Does that make me a terrible ambassador to the sport, if so I don't really care. What I would love to see though, is someone not get hurt from this sport if they don't have to. Yes, even someone that doesn't know good advice from bad and tells people they are wrong, even though they have logged more 2-wheeled miles in a single day than you have in your past 27 years on this planet.

So, take that advice and run with it. Because after your last reply, I'll gladly spend my time helping people more receptive to listening to the advice of the more experienced rather than telling them that they know better even though they are the ones here asking the questions. Good luck with your search, and I hope you finally end up scratching the itch.

Last edited:
Like I said. I'm ok now. I haven't made a long trip yet because I haven't wanted to. I hadn't really planned on it.

I'll take any bike advice anyone will give and I understand the concern about biking not being for everyone and I agree. I grew up on bikes. Love em. I had an issue 25 years ago that I overcame and now I'm good. Advice I was given was "maybe don't ride". That's not advice for someone asking about a klr or a different bike. It just struck a nerve. Sorry.

Back