• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

Mike helped me several times over the phone. One time, I called and left a message on a Sunday morning, thinking he'd get back to me Monday. He called me 20 minutes later and walked me through some stuff.

Replaced countershaft sprocket spacer, o-ring, seal and retention washer at 108K+
Of

513DE0BC-3A94-41A9-997D-482452092545.jpeg

1AE716AA-6824-45AD-BE69-6E688997A126.jpeg

C4CCA49F-D290-4655-A215-E2AA5558E6D8.jpeg
course, new sprockets and a chain as well.
Made a tool for spacer removal from an old Stanley screwdriver, heated the end with a torch and beat it over and filed/ground a 90 degree “hook”. Tapped it outward with a small ball peen hammer.

Joined the KLR club last week. Got a few miles in and a ton of bits here. Loving the 2022 Gen 3.

The first pictures is when it came home, the second is the in progress. This weekend is bars and electrics.

Attachments

• KLR 1.jpg
    KLR 1.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 73
  • KLR 21.jpg
    KLR 21.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the club. That is a beautiful bike. Definitely love that color.

Ok. So my klr is just over a year old. Only has 400 miles on it. Should I change the oil because of age?
If you only have 400 miles on the odometer I would go ahead and change it mostly because the new motor break-in process then anything.

I cracked 300 in 2 weeks. Plus added 200 to it's room mate.
I'm hoping to get back to that level of comfort in riding someday. Years ago when I was in the military a drunk guy ran a red light and t boned a friend of mine that was in front of me about 15 feet. We were leaving base for a three day ride around puerto rico. I haven't been on a bike in twenty plus years. But I'll get there.

I'm hoping to get back to that level of comfort in riding someday. Years ago when I was in the military a drunk guy ran a red light and t boned a friend of mine that was in front of me about 15 feet. We were leaving base for a three day ride around puerto rico. I haven't been on a bike in twenty plus years. But I'll get there.
Little bits at a time, you will get there for sure!

Changed the oil yesterday, at 109K. Still getting 50+MPG with only a top bag and keeping it under 60mph.
Putting on the (happy trails aluminum) panniers will reduce the mileage below 45.
Ran 400 miles yesterday at 60-65mph when possible, 47MPG.
I have worked off this bike for many years now and just can't believe how good of a machine FHI has made. :thumb:

Last edited:
Just noticed my clutch handle has about 3/4 an inch of play before engaging. Is this normal during break in? Does it need to be adjusted to get rid of the play?

Back