• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New KLR650 owner in Houston TX. (problems aswell...)

Excellent. Take lots of pictures and videos to help get it back together right. That is the most perfect KLR shop. Love the work bench. Haha.

Its been a while since I posted but I want to keep y'all updated. I am in the process of tearing down the engine to look at the cylinder and valves and gaskets for damage. Here are some pictures of my mechanical journey this last Sunday.

View attachment 367260

My timing was lined up correctly at TDC.
View attachment 367261

Before I took off the cams.

View attachment 367262

My work area behind my apt. The neighbors have a lot of trash/junk. I cleaned it up a bit so I would have a better working area. I attached straps to the the stairs so I would not have to worry about the bike falling over. Went and bought a center stand but mainly used it as a chair. I am going to have to return it to harbor freight.

View attachment 367263

View attachment 367264
My work bench.

Had to stop and store the project yesterday because I had to go to work. Stopped after taking out the cams, carb, and exhaust. Planning to remove the head.

Haven't seen any damage so far. All the valve clearances were in spec, but were all over the place. I will update the post with the numbers when I get home.
Here are the specific valve clearances.
Intake - left: 0.11mm right: 0.18mm
exhuast - left: 0.15mm right: 0.23 mm

You are within tolerance so that's interesting. With the pressure loss of the exhaust valve. I would expect a different story on that clearance.

You are within tolerance so that's interesting. With the pressure loss of the exhaust valve. I would expect a different story on that clearance.
Sometimes I wish it was broken so I know what I have to fix. The problem will reveal itself as I go deeper.
Do you have any cleaning tips for this bike?

Back