• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member in Abilene

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Found TWTEX on a search for riding near Abilene. Seems to be a wealth of information so here I am.. the FNG! Retired from Active Duty out of Nellis and Abilene seemed like a good fit. Been riding for a while, everything from an MV Agusta F4RR to Harley’s and everything in between… literally. Finally found the sweet spot with ADV bikes. Currently riding an F850GSA and a KTM 790 Adventure R. In Las Vegas we could literally ride ANYWHERE there was dirt. I’m learning things are a little different around these parts so definitely interested in learning the roadway/trails here. I did a quick search and found some decent routes around Abilene. Also looking for some input on recommended bike shops as well. Here’s my current rides granted half my tools and riding gear are still in storage but I’m getting there.

Attachments

• 66006964863__06616C01-DA53-4B04-943A-94E86691C554.jpeg
    66006964863__06616C01-DA53-4B04-943A-94E86691C554.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 45
  • part0.jpeg
    part0.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 66380370362__AF004DBF-112E-4BCB-ADB2-66E41F8DB117.fullsizerender.jpeg
    66380370362__AF004DBF-112E-4BCB-ADB2-66E41F8DB117.fullsizerender.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 66006969742__D1B481DF-91FF-4E3E-AC43-4AF6BEEBB023.jpeg
    66006969742__D1B481DF-91FF-4E3E-AC43-4AF6BEEBB023.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 47
Nice selection of rides! Welcome to the site!

Thanks everyone! Definitely finding great information on the site. I’m loving the looks of this Texas Loop I came across in the riding section.

I visited Abilene for a job interview and really liked the town. Welcome.

I visited Abilene for a job interview and really liked the town. Welcome.
We enjoy it! Much slower pace and far less traffic than Las Vegas. I have two boys that live and breathe football so that played a part in deciding where to move.
Now that we are semi-settled time for some riding!

Hey Brad, a BIG West Texas Welcome from our herd, just an hour SW of you here in Ballinger!! :welcome:

There's not much in the way of public trails for off road, but there is an off road club area an hour from ABI on the TEXANA Ranch near Oak Creek Lake (Blackwell). There are some twisty roads around, and we can meet up in ABI for lunch one day and discuss places to ride!

I am SO glad to have another ADV rider in my area on TWT, as it gets a little lonely out here by myself!!

I’m familiar with where Ballinger is. I have also heard of Texana Ranch but I was told you had to be a member to ride there? I’d absolutely be up for a lunch meet up and pick your brain a little about riding locations and/or bike shops.

Great!! I just put a clutch in my GS, and it was missing the thrust washer, so I'm waiting on one from Germany!

I'll be in touch!

Geez, all we need here in the Abilene area is another ex/retired military person cluttering up the landscape. When will it end?

:lol2:...obviously I'm kidding, and welcome aboard. Yeah, it's Texas, and there is little to no public land like out west...just got back from 3 weeks in New Mexico riding my XR650. However, I make it a point to go twice a year to the Big Bend area which surprisingly has a ton of good riding.

As to the Ross Creek Trail Riders...Texana Ranch...I'm one of the original members of that group since 1979...even got a lifetime membership classification. Unfortunately I haven't been out there for awhile now. Yes, it does require a membership, and it requires a certain level of time commitment to work some of the events that occur out there...Texas enduro circuit event, Baja style racing events, Raptor Run, etc. I'll say this...as far as motorcycle use, this is a true off road venue. There are about 100 miles of singletrack when all of it is ridden, and a good bit of it can be pretty tough. We've had two national enduro events out there, and even those guys said it was one of the tougher venues they've ridden. So, if you want to ride a motorcycle at Texana, it better be a real, honest dirt bike.

As to riding around the Abilene area, there are some great pavement rides to the east and south where all the "hills" are located. There are interesting dirt roads scattered around too. OP, if you haven't been to the Big Bend area, you are in for a treat. Myself and many on this site have probably ridden just about every venue in that area and will be a wealth of information...Big Bend NP, Big Bend Ranch SP, Terlingua Ranch, Black Gap Wildlife Management Area, and some points around the Presidio, TX area.

OP, this is not a hot bed of off road or adventure riding around the Abilene area, but there are a few of us who are serious off road and dirt guys who go out west and do the Big Bend thing on a regular basis. My neighbor riding buddy now has a 2023 KTM690 enduro. Late last year I switched to an old school option of a Honda XR650L with lots of modifications. I think your current stable is probably to big for Texana Ranch, but the 790 should do well in a lot of the Big Bend area.

As far as motorcycle shops go, there are basically only two, though the newly formed Lone Star Powersports will be taking on Indian...but that's not really much of a dirt platform. Crown Powersports used to be Max's Cycles which was/is really the most motorcycle oriented shop here. I worked part time as a mechanic there for many years outside of my normal career field to pay for my many bad habits, especially when I was racing the enduro circuit. Kent's has mainly been considered a Harley shop, but in reality over the last few years they've branched out with their Honda line of ADV and dirt bikes. To be honest, the big sellers in this part of the country are ATV's and UTV's. That's where the money is.

Geez, all we need here in the Abilene area is another ex/retired military person cluttering up the landscape. When will it end?

:lol2:...obviously I'm kidding, and welcome aboard. Yeah, it's Texas, and there is little to no public land like out west...just got back from 3 weeks in New Mexico riding my XR650. However, I make it a point to go twice a year to the Big Bend area which surprisingly has a ton of good riding.

As to the Ross Creek Trail Riders...Texana Ranch...I'm one of the original members of that group since 1979...even got a lifetime membership classification. Unfortunately I haven't been out there for awhile now. Yes, it does require a membership, and it requires a certain level of time commitment to work some of the events that occur out there...Texas enduro circuit event, Baja style racing events, Raptor Run, etc. I'll say this...as far as motorcycle use, this is a true off road venue. There are about 100 miles of singletrack when all of it is ridden, and a good bit of it can be pretty tough. We've had two national enduro events out there, and even those guys said it was one of the tougher venues they've ridden. So, if you want to ride a motorcycle at Texana, it better be a real, honest dirt bike.

As to riding around the Abilene area, there are some great pavement rides to the east and south where all the "hills" are located. There are interesting dirt roads scattered around too. OP, if you haven't been to the Big Bend area, you are in for a treat. Myself and many on this site have probably ridden just about every venue in that area and will be a wealth of information...Big Bend NP, Big Bend Ranch SP, Terlingua Ranch, Black Gap Wildlife Management Area, and some points around the Presidio, TX area.

OP, this is not a hot bed of off road or adventure riding around the Abilene area, but there are a few of us who are serious off road and dirt guys who go out west and do the Big Bend thing on a regular basis. My neighbor riding buddy now has a 2023 KTM690 enduro. Late last year I switched to an old school option of a Honda XR650L with lots of modifications. I think your current stable is probably to big for Texana Ranch, but the 790 should do well in a lot of the Big Bend area.

As far as motorcycle shops go, there are basically only two, though the newly formed Lone Star Powersports will be taking on Indian...but that's not really much of a dirt platform. Crown Powersports used to be Max's Cycles which was/is really the most motorcycle oriented shop here. I worked part time as a mechanic there for many years outside of my normal career field to pay for my many bad habits, especially when I was racing the enduro circuit. Kent's has mainly been considered a Harley shop, but in reality over the last few years they've branched out with their Honda line of ADV and dirt bikes. To be honest, the big sellers in this part of the country are ATV's and UTV's. That's where the money is.
Yes Sir, but you have to go easy on me… my wife is originally from TX so we aren’t a complete transplant. Im originally from Virginia myself but my wife is a true Texan.
There was certainly some good riding out West, pretty much all BLM land out there. I had assumed my bikes weren’t really for Texana Ranch based on what I had previously heard. I sold my 450 back in Vegas so I’m starting to regret that. I have yet to make it to Big Bend but that’s definitely on my list of rides.
I appreciate the response concerning bike shops. I do most of my own maintenance with the exception of recalls and **** BMW service light reminders.

Last edited:
As one that also 'clutters' the landscape, albeit in Cypress, it's nice to have another zoomie on board. Welcome to TWT!
Lots of good (and mediocre) times at Nellis ... but most of my memories are cluttering the floor of Robin's Roost. :chug:

brandsr1, there are usually 3,4, or 5 of us who go to BB after Thanksgiving. I usually stay a full 3 weeks in the area from BGWMA to Presidio in that time period, so holler if you're thinking about going down in that time frame and might be interested in meeting up with us.

I did a ride to Abilene. Did you know Mary William Houston Morrow is buried there? She's the daughter of Sam Houston and has a heck of part of Texas history

Welcome from Krum, my brother was stationed out in Abilene for many years and I sure enjoyed visiting that town. They had a great cigar shop downtown we used to go to.

brandsr1, there are usually 3,4, or 5 of us who go to BB after Thanksgiving. I usually stay a full 3 weeks in the area from BGWMA to Presidio in that time period, so holler if you're thinking about going down in that time frame and might be interested in meeting up with us.
Heck yeah I might be up for that! My wife mentioned having some family come visit for Thanksgiving but I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the invite!

As one that also 'clutters' the landscape, albeit in Cypress, it's nice to have another zoomie on board. Welcome to TWT!
Lots of good (and mediocre) times at Nellis ... but most of my memories are cluttering the floor of Robin's Roost. :chug:
Haha good times at the ole Roost! I may even have some pics of that place.

I did a ride to Abilene. Did you know Mary William Houston Morrow is buried there? She's the daughter of Sam Houston and has a heck of part of Texas history
Pretty cool! Apparently my wife knew that but not where her grave was located.

Welcome from Krum, my brother was stationed out in Abilene for many years and I sure enjoyed visiting that town. They had a great cigar shop downtown we used to go to.

We enjoy it, it was kind of throw a dart at a map of Texas and see where we end up honestly. We either wanted Virginia (my family) or Texas (wife’s family). Mainly it was good schools and no big cities. We are actually outside of Abilene in Potosi so the schools are great here.

Pretty cool! Apparently my wife knew that but not where her grave was located.

I have been riding to see various graves all over Texas and some to Oklahoma. I thought I was weird but I've since learned others do this too. For me it's part of learning about Texas history and the people. It seems more real when you can go to where their story ends. Plus, it can take you to places and roads and towns you would not normally travel.

I try to imagine what it looked like the day they were laid to rest and I'll take some time to look around and see the people going by every day, all day long, that have no clue what they are traveling past and ignoring.

Heck yeah I might be up for that! My wife mentioned having some family come visit for Thanksgiving but I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the invite!
Yeah, we go the next week after Thanksgiving. We're not pilgrims, but we do celebrate Thanksgiving...LOL! Besides, major holidays are not the time to do Big Bend when/if you make any plans to go there. Plus, I mentioned I usually do 3 weeks there in the area during the time frame, so I'll be there awhile. All of our group is retired, but some of them still have apron strings they feel they have to satisfy. :lol2:

Back