• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #213 - Seeing Double (Assignment)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
This one should challenge us all - me included - by creating an image which shows double or two of something where they are related. Think outside the box, expand your thought process along the lines of shooting an object in a water reflection or a mirror where the main subject is there as is the reflection. Or two of the same item side by side. Figure out how to shoot a double exposure shot that captures the imagination. Create an image where the viewer is seeing double like they've had too much to drink. Extra props to those who can find and create a capture of the DoubleMint Twins. :-)

Post any photos here for feedback or discussion. Use this Assignment thread to post up images that you have taken that you like or would like feedback on and use the ENTRY thread for posting your final selection. ASK QUESTIONS if you have them! Bounce ideas off one another. This should be fun.....

Specifics for this assignment:

1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, iPad, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!
2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment. But please, no AI creations.
3) All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.
4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between 2200 June 4, 2023 and midnight/2400, July 2, 2023.

Some concepts to ponder:
1. Find a puddle with some reflection in it, get low, shoot the puddle that shows the reflection of the item and the original item.
2. Use a mirror to capture a subject and it's reflection in a cool way. Put the mirror in a field or city environment to give the image context if you want.
3. Put a couple items of the same thing side by side, use a slow shutter speed and zoom in or out while the shutter is open.
4. Shoot a double exposure of the same item but in two different ways to create some magic.
5. Put an object in motion and fire a speedlight in repeat mode to create multiple images in the same frame.
6. Use motion blur (moving the camera during the exposure) to give a double exposure vibe.
7. Mix an adult beverage and make it a double and capture it in a cool way.
8. Go find those DoubleMint Twins!

Been about a week now.... Man it's HOT today and forecast is the same for the next 7-10 days which makes outside shooting kind of miserable.

Everyone got their thinking caps on? Trying new concepts? Or are we all on the struggle bus? :-)

Been about a week now.... Man it's HOT today and forecast is the same for the next 7-10 days which makes outside shooting kind of miserable.

Everyone got their thinking caps on? Trying new concepts? Or are we all on the struggle bus? :-)
I've been busy, not as bad here. I've got some ideas. :thumb:

Here's a concept I'm playing with.... reflections. That's double, right? Not sure how far I'll try to take this one, but the concept has me intrigued at the moment. NOT photoshop either. :deal:

IMG_1388.jpg

That's awesome, Bill....

Couple questions/observations....

I don't think it's her not standing still more than it is she's forward of the camera focal plane for the f/stop you have. The flash should have snagged her just fine. I'm assuming a double exposure in-camera? And if that's it, how did you settle on exposures? Did you dial in a full negative full stop to get the bike exposed properly in addition to the alter-ego chick? lol

That's awesome, Bill....

Couple questions/observations....

I don't think it's her not standing still more than it is she's forward of the camera focal plane for the f/stop you have. The flash should have snagged her just fine. I'm assuming a double exposure in-camera? And if that's it, how did you settle on exposures? Did you dial in a full negative full stop to get the bike exposed properly in addition to the alter-ego chick? lol
Nope, it is 100% her moving because there is no flash........ ;-) And this is a single exposure almost straight out of the camera with a little clarity and texture added but that is it. As for exposure, it is simple, make it dark, and then add however much light you want to where you want it.

But you did just give me a great idea on how to use my flash instead of what I was using for this one! Unfortunately it will have to wait until she gets back from her work trip.

Funny enough, I don't know how to do a true double exposure in this thing anyway so I kick it old school. :lol2:

Nope, it is 100% her moving because there is no flash........ ;-) And this is a single exposure almost straight out of the camera with a little clarity and texture added but that is it. As for exposure, it is simple, make it dark, and then add however much light you want to where you want it.

But you did just give me a great idea on how to use my flash instead of what I was using for this one! Unfortunately it will have to wait until she gets back from her work trip.
So it's like our light-painting we did years back?

So it's like our light-painting we did years back?
You got it. If anyone asks my flash settings, they are the low setting on my Streamlight and wiggled around on the subject for what I can only hope is a suitable amount of time, then a much shorter amount of time for the bike, then repeat that for the other side before the shutter comes to a close.

The flash is bouncing way too much light around and causing ghosting. But I think I can come back with a flash inside a collapsed umbrella and maybe get the best of both worlds. We shall see.

Back