• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Yeah definitely always looks nice. I’ve always wanted to get up towards halletsville/shiner and explore around.
We need to get together and go sometime. There are some decent backroads around Victoria but all are flat and majority are blacktop/sealcoat. The hard surface ones are usually kind of rough. Seems to me there are much better gravel roads up in the Halletsville area. The nice part is other than riding to the other side of Victoria on the loop and going through Cuero it was all rural and hardly any traffic. Never really far from gas/food etc. though. I always just kind of wind around to find the quieter areas. So far cows have not tried to run me over like a lot of people who are not paying attention, but I do keep an eye on them too. Hit a dog once and broke my collar bone, do not want to hit a cow. (Dog was just fine afterwards)

I noticed it looked like it had been mowed. I’m also jealous of all the green. We are toasted brown.

Most things around our house are really brown. Just starting to green up from a little rain last week. It was nice to see some areas that seemed to have faired better. Seems like the one area I referred to as the river bottom is always green. I do not think they actually mow any of it. I think it is just a really well managed pasture that does not get over grazed.

We need to get together and go sometime. There are some decent backroads around Victoria but all are flat and majority are blacktop/sealcoat. The hard surface ones are usually kind of rough. Seems to me there are much better gravel roads up in the Halletsville area. The nice part is other than riding to the other side of Victoria on the loop and going through Cuero it was all rural and hardly any traffic. Never really far from gas/food etc. though. I always just kind of wind around to find the quieter areas. So far cows have not tried to run me over like a lot of people who are not paying attention, but I do keep an eye on them too. Hit a dog once and broke my collar bone, do not want to hit a cow. (Dog was just fine afterwards)

Most things around our house are really brown. Just starting to green up from a little rain last week. It was nice to see some areas that seemed to have faired better. Seems like the one area I referred to as the river bottom is always green. I do not think they actually mow any of it. I think it is just a really well managed pasture that does not get over grazed.
Yes we definitely should. It “should” start cooling off soon, at least in the mornings. My plan was to ride Friday morning but I stepped outside at 7:15 and it was already pretty hot and muggy, decided to do some work around the house instead. I currently have 3 bike options for what ever type of riding I can get myself into. V strom, klr, and KTM 530.

Well the wife went to a conference with a group of women from church so I knocked off early and ran down to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Ended up with 175 miles of which 125 was pure boredom, but, I knew that going in.

Dodged rain on the way down and got rained on a bit but did not really even get wet. The wind was really blowing and had a headwind all the way down it seemed. First stop was the bird tower. Had it all to myself.

390-and-tower.jpg

One of my favorite views from the top, which I have probably posted before but here it is again. I will say climbing the tower with motorcycle boots is different than tennis shoes. Not sure why I noticed that this time there.

photo-from-tower-1.jpg

And looking out across the oaks the other direction.

photo-from-tower-2.jpg

Something was burning in the distance, lots of smoke. I came back through Refugio and Goliad and the smoke had beat me to Refugio when I got there. Smelled like a grass fire but I really do not know what it was.

smoke-from-tower.jpg

Took the auto tour road back which is a one way narrow road with a 25 mph speed limit. But sometimes you see critters. I saw a lot of deer and then one large hog. Would have taken a photo of the hog but he was gone way to quick. This give you an idea how narrow the road is. You can also see the smoke building in the background.

auto-tour.jpg

On the auto tour road the hogs had really been destroying things. There was a LOT of this along the road.

hogs.jpg

Stopped at an overlook on the way out and snapped another photo of the water.

bay.jpg

Then stopped at a spot where I have seen alligators in the past. No gators today but a curious deer. I think it was confused because I had my helmet on.

deer.jpg

And this is my favorite from today.

my-favorite.jpg

I have plenty of things I should do tomorrow but it is pretty tempting to go for another ride. Guess I will see what the weather looks like.

We went out there in may-ish, was the first time I had been there since around 2001. The mosquitos were absolutely terrible, however we did drive the narrow road you speak of. It’s definitely nice out there, from what I understand they use to sell “spots” to be able to hunt out there once a year, perhaps they still do not sure.

It has been cooler so I have been riding the the Gas Gas her on the turn track. Good excercise. Tonight was warmer and I rode the GG last night so decided t go for a quick spin. Got in about 40 miles.

Why did the dillo cross the road?
dillo.jpg

Don't ask me, he doesn't even know. No wonder so many get ran over, he just kept walking along slowly like I wasn't even there.

Lunch at route 36. Good ride but we got into a little rain on the way there.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.jpeg
    IMG_5913.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5914.jpeg
    IMG_5914.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5914.jpeg
    IMG_5914.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 61
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 59
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5915.jpeg
    IMG_5915.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 71995035491__FD2E460B-DF83-4B6B-920E-5F1F5D45A7B9.jpeg
    71995035491__FD2E460B-DF83-4B6B-920E-5F1F5D45A7B9.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 71994214859__647E9D26-E4F8-4294-B49D-4D58E660AC38.jpeg
    71994214859__647E9D26-E4F8-4294-B49D-4D58E660AC38.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 62
Unless the weather is crazy, I plan to be at CJs BBQ on Hwy 30 in College Station this Friday at 11:00am. Gotta stock up on ribs :eat:

Scenic overlook near the Castle Gap area of SW Texas. In the 1860's, Charles Goodnight wanted to sell beef to the Army in New Mexico. Main problem was getting cattle from N Texas to Ft Sumner in NM. Most direct route was thru Comanche territory. Goodnight started the first Goodnight-Loving cattle trail by going Southwest around Comanche territory.
Draw a capital letter "O" from West Texas into Eastern New Mexico and cover the TX panhandle and down towards Pecos... Comanche territory. Following the most level ground and available water, Goodnight's trail went SW thru the gaps in the mesa's of West Texas (Castle Gap) , crossed the Pecos River and turned North into NM about where Carlsbad is today. Then the trail kinda-sorta follows I-25 to the North from there.
Doin' my Lonesome Dove thing today.

IMG_20231107_100717895 - Copy (2).jpg

Wanna hear more about ME? It is all about me don't you know.
Ha! Just kidding.
I do want to say that this fortunate son had another great day on the planet. 50's to start in BB Park, 70's most of the day, but it did make it to 90 down on the river.
Inflation has hit the Mexican market in Boquillas Canyon. Trinkets are suggested $10 and up now. Used to be a couple of bucks.
Usually hit BBNP deeper into the winter (Dec/Jan/Feb) but the TV weatherman showed me a weather window to my liking. Zoom - Zoom!
Gotta go home tomorrow. Waaa!

IMG_20231105_110237622_HDR - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20231105_120206035 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20231105_132308073 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20231105_133056368 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20231106_090558419_HDR - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20231106_104955299.jpg

IMG_20231106_111106226.jpg

IMG_20231106_111323225.jpg

IMG_20231106_131257148.jpg

IMG_20231106_131415200.jpg

IMG_20231106_131609722_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20231105_141311185 - Copy (2).jpg

Wow! A LOT more color than when we were up there last month! I see that you took the GS. I guess it was an all pavement ride. I hope the weather has been good for you.

I do want to say that this fortunate son had another great day on the planet. 50's to start in BB Park, 70's most of the day, but it did make it to 90 down on the river.

Balogna (baloney!) sandwich came from the Stone Village Market in Ft Davis. Came with a side (potato salad) but I ate it in the parking lot while chatting with some other tourists.

IMG_20231105_133056368 - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back