• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route mapping software

Well since the problem is happening with others using the file you created, it seems to be a problem with your Basecamp installation and/or the creation of your route and not the devices themselves.

I have used Basecamp since it came out and have never experienced this problem.

I also still have Mapsource (pre Basecamp) loaded on my PC as well and use it periodically. It also works fine still.

I use the Curvature maps to identify the best curves. They provide me a set of curves to link together for a great ride. Then I go to places where I would be totally lost, and I can find them. The best curves aren't obvious from intersections. I'm exploring over about 1/2 the state of Kentucky... and the curvature maps have shown me some great roads! If I'm going to ride 8 hours in a day, I want to get the best curves out there, and using this method, I can be in great curves for 75% of the day.

A good no pre-planning/time saving option for this is using Adventurous Routing. Select max curves, max hills and avoid highways. Just pick a destination or two and let Garmin find those unknown roads for you. Pick another destination or two for your return home and you'll get a different route.

This is all I ever do when riding in Europe and have discovered some real gems. I don't read ride reports and typically don't like using other's routes anyway so this works perfect for me.

Well since the problem is happening with others using the file you created, it seems to be a problem with your Basecamp installation and/or the creation of your route and not the devices themselves.

I have used Basecamp since it came out and have never experienced this problem.

I also still have Mapsource (pre Basecamp) loaded on my PC as well and use it periodically. It also works fine still.
I've used mapsource and basecamp for years.. maybe 10?
Using the same methods that I had used before, I suddenly started getting these issues.
The Garmin "experts" that actually looked at the routes had no answers.
If anybody with great expertise can pin down what is setting with my routes that could cause this, I would love to hear it.

A good no pre-planning/time saving option for this is using Adventurous Routing. Select max curves, max hills and avoid highways. Just pick a destination or two and let Garmin find those unknown roads for you. Pick another destination or two for your return home and you'll get a different route.

This is all I ever do when riding in Europe and have discovered some real gems. I don't read ride reports and typically don't like using other's routes anyway so this works perfect for me.
I agree, but Garmin adventurous roads misses a lot of these. The curvature maps do a lot better than adventurous roads out here.

I've used mapsource and basecamp for years.. maybe 10?
Using the same methods that I had used before, I suddenly started getting these issues.
The Garmin "experts" that actually looked at the routes had no answers.
If anybody with great expertise can pin down what is setting with my routes that could cause this, I would love to hear it.
Have you reloaded Basecamp and tried it again?

Have you reloaded Basecamp and tried it again?
Yes. New computer over Christmas. New download and install. New download this weekend again. The problem started on the old computer, but hadn't changed with the new machine and new install. The route that nobody can import is a pretty simple one. I wouldn't expect problems with that one...

Yes. New computer over Christmas. New download and install. New download this weekend again. The problem started on the old computer, but hadn't changed with the new machine and new install. The route that nobody can import is a pretty simple one. I wouldn't expect problems with that one...
Have you made other routes recently? Do they work correctly?

Lots of routes were working. Set them up as I always have. This weekend just went crazy. But there are several that are doing this. I don't see anything unusual with them. If you do, I would appreciate any feedback.

I am using Basecamp 4.7.5 running in Win7. I use City Nav NA 2012, 2015, and 2024.1 because they are all different and 2024 is not always the one that is correct based on reality. These are permanently installed on my computer hard drive. I typically start in 2024 and create a route. I set shaping points so the route will follow the specific roads I want to follow. I never let the GPS pick the roads unless I am just out somewhere and need to get to another location because something has gone wrong. Once I have the route following the exact roads I want, I right click on it over on the left menu and pick the "Create Track from Selected Route" option. Once I have done this for all the different routes I am planning, I then transfer ONLY the track files to the GPS unit (Montana 610) via a USB cable. The only maps I have on the Unit are the 2015 and 2024.1 versions. I never transfer the routes because it seems like the GPS unit and Basecamp will never follow the same roads despite my shaping points. Once I am ready to ride, I go to my Tracks section on the GPS, find the one I want, and make it visible and dark red color. This displays my intended route no matter what else is going on. If I really want to, I can actually "Navigate" the track to get turn by turn directions, time remaining, distance remaining, ETA, or any other info. IF something comes up and I have to go off route for some reason, I just create a route on the fly using the GPS, but my original track always displays, making it easy for me to figure out how to get back on the original planned route once the other problems have been dealt with. I will also generally have my track option turned on to keep track of where I actually end up riding during the day for later use when doing ride reports or sharing the routes.

I have to be honest here. I think the Garmin 276C was about the height of functionality and quality. All the units since then seem to have been steps backward in terms of features. I miss having actual buttons instead of touch screen. It was MUCH easier to be accurate when messing around with the screen cursor to highlight/select things. It was also able to store WAY more tracks and much larger tracks. My 610 can't even store a full single day of riding as a single track and usually splits it into multiple files. The 276 could save a week of riding all in one file!

@Blue Flash I just quickly redid your route in Basecamp while on a Zoom call. I am sure its not 100% accurate. Try loading it in your 396 and see what happens.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Lebanon Test.gpx
    386.1 KB · Views: 9
@Blue Flash I just quickly redid your route in Basecamp while on a Zoom call. I am sure its not 100% accurate. Try loading it in your 396 and see what happens.

GPX viewer
OK, so those imported. What did you find that was different, though? You used a few more via points than my original, but neither version was near any limits. Is there anything you saw in comparing? I copied the gpx to the folder, and then renamed slightly and opened it with BaseCamp and sent to the Garmin.

For what it's worth, I got it to import by rebuilding it in Tyre as well.

OK, so those imported. What did you find that was different, though? You used a few more via points than my original, but neither version was near any limits. Is there anything you saw in comparing? I copied the gpx to the folder, and then renamed slightly and opened it with BaseCamp and sent to the Garmin.

For what it's worth, I got it to import by rebuilding it in Tyre as well.
Didn't find anything obvious. I made a track from your route and then built a new route following the track. I wanted to see if your route had anything weird going on that would also cause it not to work from a different computer creating the route.

To figure out what is happening on your end I would have to be sitting next to you watching how you build your routes.

I just set main locations for easy points and straighten out work via points. I've been doing mapping for years, of course with mapsource and basecamp and some Tyre, but also for a living... mapping and spatial analysis with ESRI and Geographix. This stuff is simple... until it doesn't work right. I wish that Garmin had the tech support that ESRI has. Those guys are amazing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the assistance from everybody! If anybody can figure out WHY that route wouldn't update, that would be cool. I know it doesn't work, but I still don't know why it didn't work. I set basic way points for the overall route, then drag in via points to clean up the details.

It looks like Tyre is my answer for now.

Fortunately, since Tyre no longer requires the Google account key, I can use it to make the routes work. I set up another one of my old routes with Tyre last night, and it loaded with no issues. Hopefully those results will continue.

The BaseCamp issue didn't happen on ALL of my routes... maybe 1 out of 3 or 4, but the aggravation just isn't worth it. I try setting all new waypoints, using fewer waypoints and more via points, using all way points, using nothing but waypoints... it just doesn't seem to matter with some of these routes. I still get upload fails. Typically, I select key waypoints, create route using selected way points, then shape it with via points on the screen. That's about it.

I will say that in reality, there is NO limit on waypoints and via points. If your route is too big, The device will split your route into 2 (or more) routes. I've seen that many times. I usually redo the two routes so that the start / end points are in logical locations, but one route I put together the other day imported fine, but was large, and it split into 2 routes on import. A couple of the Garmin reps insisted that this couldn't be done. I've done it for years.

Last edited:
I don't remember what kind of problems I was having on my nuvi, several suggestions were made to use tracks. I refused because I liked the routes. My nuvi only did routes and I was fine with that.
Eventually went to a Montana 600 and started using tracks after my Montana did't like my routes. Needless to say that I have not used routes since.

My Montana is working fine and just ordered a XT2. I hope it does what I want it to do along with the larger screen. Fingers crossed...

Routes are very map and settings picky. If you create a route on one map version, share the route with someone else, and they have a different map and different routing settings, then the odds of the route coming out the same for them is pretty much zero. This is why I have always used tracks. Regardless of what map or settings I might be using, once I get the route to follow the actual roads I want, I can then convert it to a GPX track and that will be the same for everyone regardless of what maps/settings they might be using. Life got much easier after I started doing it this way.

I’ve always used tracks for the same reason, plus I don’t like it re-routing if you take a slightly different route. Also there are some situations where basecamp can’t build a route between two points but it will build a track. However, I recently did a trip to Big Bend and had one of the guys Bluetooth share his routes to my Nav VI on the GSA. It has some cool features that allow you to run routes and tracks simultaneously, and skip to the next waypoint if you get slightly off course near the active waypoint. It also ask if you want it to recalculate instead of just doing it automatically.

I have a new computer and wanted to get basecamp installed...NOT AVAILABLE AND NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Wow. Talk about BRAIN DRAIN in the world. Everything, it seems with little exceptions, is becoming more and more WORSE. By design from what I'm seeing. My brothers and I dubbed this decline as DOA which started as Decline of America but 2008 it was renamed to Death of America and it appears EVERY sector is affected...Who'd have thunk Garmin would become useless?

Garmin Express (offline updater) was also nowhere to be found...must have been reconfiguring the website...what are the odds I catch it at that moment? lol. DOA -2

This site?
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/windows/
I didn't press a download button, but I don't see an error message.

Also, when you get the files downloaded, I would recommend saving what you download into a "Garmin Software" file folder before you install, in case you ever have to install again, just to find it has gone away. I keep copies squirrelled away, just in case.

Back