• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Juan Passes 2023

You're bud's ride down Black Bear was nail-biting. The trail was in such bad shape with large loose rocks and such a narrow line in places. I felt for him every time he came to a switch back and parked it for a moment to get gathered. Smart. You' would have definitely had to edit in some bleeps if that was my video.

Yes. The altitude, the anxiety, and being alone made me take it super easy on that ride. If anything had happened it would have been a helicopter ride to get out. So I didn't take any chances, and stopped to get a drink and take a breath a few times.

Great pictures, videos queued up to watch on the living room TV after work.

Any thoughts on the tree fiddy vs the big 5 hundy in this kind of riding?

Not a whole lot of difference on the bikes, except the 500 is taller. First bike I've had to tiptoe on.

In this kind of terrain, speed is not really your friend, so horsepower is not much of an advantage.

Great to see you are still around :)

Oddly, the first photo shows the only real step I remember on the entire trip. I did not ride the lower portion of the pass but JR and Patrick might have after I left. I know they rode Poughkeepsie Gulch and did not care much for it.

@Grommet
@jredford

We did not take the route from Engineer to 550, in either direction.

We did go up Poughkeepsie Gulch. Not easy. Very steep, very rocky. Probably the hardest ascent I've done anywhere.

When I was going up there was this little SUV or car coming down that pulled over to let me by. I stopped and ask them if they came over the top and they told me they just drove up to the top and turned around and came back down. They were younger couple that looked like they may have rented the vehicle out of Durango. I don't remember what it was but I remember thinking well if they can make it in that I shouldn't have any problems because it was pretty much bone stock and definitely didn't have any lift to it.

Looking at licketysplits videos It looks like there's no way you can make it up that thing now unless you have at least a little bit of lift in your vehicle.

Great pics and videos. I was hoping to be able to get back up there again before the season ends and after watching your videos and looking at the pics I really want to now especially after coming in from the 108 that it is outside right now.

I had a similar case on Black Bear on this trip. Guy and his GF in a rented Pathfinder. They were going east to west, coming up from 550. About a mile or two up the road. I suggested that they turn around as soon as possible.

Sometimes you have to chuckle. Ignorance is bliss, until you discover your rental is not actually Baja1000-capable.

Even though I shot the video, when I watch it, it gives me some serious anxiety. Watching the video is much more difficult than actually doing it.

I've experienced this exact same thing. I'm just riding along and focused on picking my line and then when I review the 'tape', I'm like, what was I thinking??

I have this magnetic pull to do Black Bear pass. I'm really not sure why. The Steps seem sooooo sketchy and yet I hardly hear of anyone falling off of them into the river.

I'm Patrick.

It's not fearless. I'm afraid a lot. But something happens in my brain when I'm riding the shelf roads; the drop-off just gets blocked out. I was trying to explain this to Lickety and JRed. I'm not really sure how it works. I focus on where I want to go and that's where I go.

Even though I shot the video, when I watch it, it gives me some serious anxiety. Watching the video is much more difficult than actually doing it.
When you stopped at some of the switchbacks I just heard relaxed breathing and no explicatives on the video. You must have been in the zone indeed.

Getting back up there, at a slower pace to avoid altitude sickness, is on my bucket list. Might be interesting as I've swapped my DR650 for an Africa Twin since my last attempt!

There were people on big bikes riding these trails. Some were clearly uncomfortable and others were just fine. I do think you would have more fun on the Beta 390 though.

There were people on big bikes riding these trails. Some were clearly uncomfortable and others were just fine. I do think you would have more fun on the Beta 390 though.

The only place I have one if those is in my dreams, so it's only the Twin for the foreseeable future. Fortunately I'm pretty comfortable on the big beast. My biggest limitation is a lack of fitness.

I think this is either part of California or Engineer Pass.

California Pass Part IV.00_00_02_49.Still001.jpg

California Pass Part IV.00_03_07_35.Still003.jpg

It helps to have the right tires. I went with Pirelli Rallycross front and back. They were fine but probably a little soft for the hard surfaces in the mountains. The 90x90 front has grown on me. It seems to work real well in the corners and switchbacks.
California Pass Part IV.00_03_37_52.Still004.jpg

California Pass Part IV.00_03_51_30.Still005.jpg

At the top. An alpine wonderland!

IMG_1925.jpg

The last place I rode to was Clear Lake which takes a pretty steep climb to get to. The effort is well worth it though. It looks like an excellent place to camp.
IMG_1913.jpg

As Patrick mentioned, the trip was epic. Thanks to him and his lovely wife for housing 2-3 wayward riders for over a week. The smells must have been atrocious. The San Juans are a real delight. Especially for the bikes we brought along. I miss the sand in Utah though. It gives one a break from the rocks. Now it is time to do some maintenance and get ready for another epic trip out there soon. Until next time...

IMG_1845.jpg

Jredford, Grommet and LicketySplit

Oops.

Although Black Bear Pass is NOT officially open, we do have a vehicle stuck below “the stairs,” partially off the roadway, with the road completely blocked. There are more than a dozen vehicles behind it. Telluride Towing is in route. 1500 ft drop down 4 switchbacks if it goes over the edge.

With a couple of pictures of a 4Runner hanging over the edge of an unprepared roadway.

Great pics and video! The only time I've done Black Bear complete was many years ago in a Bronco, and I had a death grip on the wheel for a lot of it :eek2:. Some of the best scenery in Colorado. Thanks for posting!

Oops.

With a couple of pictures of a 4Runner hanging over the edge of an unprepared roadway.
Yeah, the snow blocking the road was just the start. Patrick's video clearly demonstrates it is not yet wide enough for many 4 wheel vehicles. Since the Sheriff feels so strongly about it, It seems like they could close the gates on both sides and perhaps put up some signs that say "closed".

Crazy that it still isn't open yet. Isn't it almost time to close it for the season? :D

Last time I went to Cinnamon I swore never again. It's not difficult at all just annoyingly rough yet while we were there a BMW SUV pulled up on low profile street tires with an older German couple grinning from ear to ear.

Which dates were y'all up there? We were there from July 21-29 and I came across quite a few KTM/Husky 500/501's with Texas plates (not that it's any surprise in CO), most were spotted in and around Silverton. This years trip to the San Juans was my first in a 4WD in sometime as the last 5-6 years have always been on two wheels. While some sections of the passes can be much easier in a 4x4 I think I still prefer to traverse the Loop and other trails in the San Juans via motorcycle because you can travel much more quickly due to being able to get around the masses. I enjoyed being up there this year and sharing it with my wife and my parents but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of all of you on there on two wheels.

We were there during that time and were in Silverton every day. I think I know what you mean about 4x4 vs. two wheels. To me, these are intermediate trails for dirt bikes. However, the climbing and unstable surfaces make it a little more difficult than intermediate. If that makes any sense. Still working on first cup of coffee.

We were there during that time and were in Silverton every day. I think I know what you mean about 4x4 vs. two wheels. To me, these are intermediate trails for dirt bikes. However, the climbing and unstable surfaces make it a little more difficult than intermediate. If that makes any sense. Still working on first cup of coffee.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't see you guys.

Back