• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: TARA monthly dual sport adventure ride

Good time today, this make me want take my 1190 off market such a capable bike, I wasn’t plan to ride San Saba with street set up but it work fine on the gravel road, just go under 55 :), fun to meet with old and new friends 🙏

so great to meet everyone in person and thanks to Simon for helping me pick up my bike after dumping it in loose gravel! I am looking forward to the next one

We didn’t even know you had taken a pause! JT rode back, you were already riding. All JT saw was Simon talking to a rancher. Glad no injuries!

I passed your group yesterday on one of the dirt roads south of San Saba. I was heading south and your group was heading north. I was the lone rider on a Triumph in a yellow high vis jacket and wearing a white helmet. It was a good day for riding.

Yeah, I did not realize there was two groups until the first one bolted. It was nice meeting you as well. If you are interested in some day rides, Spring Branch is well within my range. I think a couple of us may do James River and the roads to the south of there next weekend.

I was the one who bolted:rider:
It was getting to be a large crowd. So Tony and I decided to leave, I looked back and we had 8 or so in our group.
Many more and it gets a bit wild and dusty. As it was, we had a pretty good sized accordion going from turn to turn:lol2:

I'd love to go, but I doubt I will be riding on Saturday unless we go camping at Hidden Falls, its Easter Weekend, So hanging with the wife. Y'all be safe if you go...

Hi All,
Is anyone going out on the December Saturday Ride? I was going to go and wanted to see if anyone else might be going.

Wow, is next weekend December already? I need to get a few more miles on my 890 before the first service, so maybe I will make the effort to go. Wonder what the track is, been a long time since I studied this thread...

I checked the 2023 GPS Ride file and it say it will be the Burnett Ride

The Burnet Ride is about 170 miles. Is everyone still meeting up at the gas station on the corner of 12 and Hamilton Pool Rd.?

I was thinking about taking the Tiger 900 Rally to Junction for a couple days of riding next weekend (Dec 2nd & 3rd). Looking at riding the Dirty Sisters. One day north of Junction. Next day south of Junction. I don't race but I don't like to ride slow either. Anyone interested? Let me know.

Thread to route files below:

I was thinking about taking the Tiger 900 Rally to Junction for a couple days of riding next weekend (Dec 2nd & 3rd). Looking at riding the Dirty Sisters. One day north of Junction. Next day south of Junction. I don't race but I don't like to ride slow either. Anyone interested? Let me know.

Thread to route files below:

My interest is picqued, but I can't swing next weekend. If however, you end up slipping your timetable by a week (DEC 9/10) then I could absolutely be in consideration - maybe I can even suck a friend of mine in to it as well - maybe.

My interest is picqued, but I can't swing next weekend. If however, you end up slipping your timetable by a week (DEC 9/10) then I could absolutely be in consideration - maybe I can even suck a friend of mine in to it as well - maybe.
Hi seo68, I would like to try to stick with the 2nd & 3rd because the weather is going to be perfect. 70 during the day 50 at night. The weekend you’re proposing it’s going to be about 10° cooler with a high of about 60 and a low in the 40s. If I can’t find anybody else to ride this next weekend, I’ll hit you up and see if you’re still on for the 9th and 10th.

Hi seo68, I would like to try to stick with the 2nd & 3rd because the weather is going to be perfect. 70 during the day 50 at night. The weekend you’re proposing it’s going to be about 10° cooler with a high of about 60 and a low in the 40s. If I can’t find anybody else to ride this next weekend, I’ll hit you up and see if you’re still on for the 9th and 10th.
I can't fault your reasoning, and I would be saying exactly the same thing if I were you. Just throwing it out there as a possibility in case you come up empty handed for next weekend. I wish I could pull off next weekend because you're right, the weather will be perfect.

Crap! Correction to all above - my wife just reminded me that her work Christmas party is the weekend of the 9th, so I can't pull that off either :miffed:

I will try to see if there is any way I can swing the 2nd and 3rd and post if I can

Edit #2: I am a complete idiot. Now I remember why I can't swing next weekend because I promised my wife I would attend a funeral on the first and I won't be getting back until late on the 1st. I guess it is still possible if I can get my 💩 together during this week - the weather will be PERFECT, and I think it would be a blast. What is your timing looking like for departing from Junction on the 2nd?

Last edited:
After talking to my wife, it really might be possible next weekend if I head to Junction after the funeral instead of heading home. Let me know your timing plans.

Gang, I think I will bow out of this weekends ride. I will be starting from Johnson City and there is no good way for me to pick this ride up without adding a lot of pavement to a ride that is already 100% pavement.

Think I will opt to do the San Saba loop instead. Sorry for being a flake... Have fun and ride safe.

@advridertx, are you still considering trying to pull off the dirty sisters this weekend?
Sorry, I missed your message. Couldn't get any takers so a friend and I are riding out to La Grange to stay at a friends ranch for the evening and then work our way back to Houston. Again, I am so sorry for the late reply I didn't get an email or anything that you responded to my post. I just saw this so I made other plans.

Got it, and I totally understand. It was going to be a push for me anyway. I'm still going to make that ride, although not this weekend. Maybe the timing will work out better later

If you don’t mind, shoot me a private message when you’re thinking about doing it and if I end up thinking about doing it before I hear from y’all shoot you a message.

Reno, are you riding the prescribed route tomorrow ?

While I didn't get to ride with the group, I must say Saturday was a truly epic solo ride. I did a modified version of the San Saba loop on the new 890 and loved every moment. Felt a little like a fish out of water (haven't been riding much lately) but felt comfortable after a dozen miles or so.

Learned a lot about the new ride, electronic cruise control is AMAZING even for short runs of a few miles or more. The Garmin Zumo XT2 functioned very well, still learning some of the more advanced features. It was nice to have all of the Hill Country tracks loaded, each with a different color but my San Saba track was loaded with the "On Top" feature. That was slick. Quick shifter is totally cool, but I feel guilty every time I use it.

Not sure about fuel range yet, I topped her off at the start, but the fuel range light started to blink at only 170 miles and said I had a range of 60 miles. Once the range was down to 20 miles the blinking and popup was truly annoying. Got back to JC right at 228 miles with a range < 10 miles. So, I am not real happy about that... I didn't fill to the tippy top, but it doesn't look like this is going to be a comfortable 250-mile range bike.

Other than the fuel range anxiety I had forgot how fun a day ride in the hill country with the limited remaining dirt roads could be.

Back