• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

The racks are made by SW Motech .... avail at Twisted Throttle. You should be able to find sumthing to fit there.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll check with them. I rarely ride with the wide boxes. Yesterday rode to Temple, they were like a sail in the curves, and only got 44 mpg.

You can also swap to Givi Monokey hdw on the racks.... opening up lots of possibilities for cases. I use the E21s for their compact size.
Pelican cases can be fitted too

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

The little jumper packs are cool. I don't have one, but have thought about it. My V-strom has had a shorai battery for about 3 years now with little issue. It discharged enough 2 years ago to not start. A jump and I put my jumper box (big one) on the rack and went for a 30 minute ride. No issues since, but a LI box in the tank bag would be much easier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

V-strom won't start

7:30 am it's raining and it's dark.I start my 650 but in a second the starter stops and nothing when I push on the start button.Lights are working,battery seems to be ok..but what?omg I need to go working now..I come back into my garage(no lights in my garage so I take a Pocket lamp)remove the seat,try to check the fuses..still nothing,just the lights on.
oh yeah I found the problem!How would I say that..do you see the red button on the right?Yes that I'm talking about.With my big winter gloves I had to put it on "off"position and I didn't notice it.:doh:I've been riding for 24 years and...oh I'm too stupid!

Glad you figured it out.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Re: V-strom won't start

7:30 am it's raining and it's dark.I start my 650 but in a second the starter stops and nothing when I push on the start button.Lights are working,battery seems to be ok..but what?omg I need to go working now..I come back into my garage(no lights in my garage so I take a Pocket lamp)remove the seat,try to check the fuses..still nothing,just the lights on.
oh yeah I found the problem!How would I say that..do you see the red button on the right?Yes that I'm talking about.With my big winter gloves I had to put it on "off"position and I didn't notice it.:doh:I've been riding for 24 years and...oh I'm too stupid!

Thierry, I have done the same thing. I try to turn engine off with kill switch, then turn key off. Sometimes I forget to turn it on when starting, but indictor is no fuel pump comes on.
How far do you ride to work? It has been in the low to mid twenties to start the day here in Central Texas, for past two days. This morning 35 :sun:

I have to ride around 6 km(3.75 miles)and it takes 10 or 20 mn depending the traffic(huge traffic jams!).6 degrees celcius in the morning here.

Re: V-strom won't start

:lol2:

No, my friend. You're just human. Me, I never touch that switch. But a few years ago, DFW_Warrior changed a tire for me, then rode the bike back down his driveway and left it at the street. I hopped on and couldn't get it started. Checked the key. Checked the kickstand. Checked the gear positioning. As I was reaching panic level, Bill walked over, shook his head as if he were trying to teach something to a two-year-old, and flipped the kill switch. :oops: And :doh:. Lesson learned.

I did the same at motogp last year, the wife and I were about to head back to the hotel and no start. Had half the bike apart in the parking lot before I figured it out. She was more understanding about it than I was.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The day after I start my bike and the engine runs..then stops!Try to start again and ..tee teeteeteetee..the starter works but the engine won't start.Nooooooo..shoud I call a co-worker once again to ask him to pick me up?Calm down.Turn off the ignition,wait a littlle and try again with a bit of trohttle..come on suzie,please,I dont'want to be the mega loser in the garage where I work in!Yesss..the engine runs,badly,but runs.I let it warming up 1 mn before leaving home.Since my bike works perfectly,don't ask me what happened I have no idea but I have to say it's in the same time funny and strange!

By the way suzuki sent me a letter to call back my bike:they change all alternators stators on warranty.I think I will make it for the 12,000 km service with new tyres(michelin pilot road 3 cause I never do "off-road" and those tyres are awesome on wet roads).My suzuki dealer will lend me a 1000 v-strom for one or two days!Anyway I 'm very happy with my 650,don't want change it for a 1000,don't have money for and I planned to go to vegas in march.I can't wait to be in America again guys:burgers,doc pepper and big V8!

there is one on my 2015 xt go to Suzuki web site and look for recalls then put in your Vin # here what mine says

read the last line

Model Year/Model: 2015 V-STROM 650XT ABS
NOV 30, 2016 The generator stator may have insufficient heat resistance due to the assembly process, which can lead to a short circuit of the stator wires. A short circuit of the stator wires causes lower electricity generation and reduced battery charging, which can cause the engine to stop running and be unable to be restarted, increasing the risk of a crash. Suzuki dealers will replace the generator stator with an improved part.

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.

Aaron

so u mean we have a recall on our vstroms right now to change da alternator ??? What years n 650 or 1 k ??

Yes I have no more information about serial numbers or year.They change the "stator"only not the whole thing.

I am seriously thinking about selling or trading in my Yamaha Raider and getting a
V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure. I really like the way they look. Only problem is that I am
6'1" tall (220#'s)Will that be an issue?

Last edited:
Shouldn't be an issue. Are you thinking the bike might be too tall or too short?

Inseam is usually a better indicator, rather than overall height (as so many guys carry their height in long torsos.)

What do you want to do with the bike?

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I could flat foot mine with the stock seat and get the balls of my feet on the ground with the Corbin seat that I had.

On your DL 1000, does it say for the stator? I'm prob wrong then. The 1000 had a recall for a different problem last year that I know of.

My DL1000 is on the list too. Has anybody had any issues getting their recall done.
I called my dealer (where I bought my bike) when I first got the recall and they acted like like I was bothering them!? (First red flag) then they said bring it in and we'll order the parts (second red flag) I asked when they think it would be done? "Are going to bring it in or what?" (Third and final red flag)
I'm apprehensive going else where!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back