• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Woodbutcher / Picture a day 2016

Beelzebub or Beel-Zebub , I hate them next to fire ants. Great shot, can see his germy hair.

8/15/2016 - I think this is the same lizard I shot yesterday, but didn't post because I shot the fly instead. I notice he is just starting to shed his skin. Flash with a softbox on it and trigger. I have a non-flash one too, but depth of field was less so the nose was out of focus. I chose to use this one instead.

i-XRFrvvC-L.jpg

You know that has got to be irritating for it. The skin pealing like that, just make me itch ! ! !

8/16/2016 - Are you looking at me? Rain had me inside mostly. Actually had an interesting shot of water drops on a ponytail palm, but I liked this beast instead.

i-xCFKxCr-L.jpg

8/17/2016 - Seashells or eggshells? There are over 100 of these on my window in less than the space of a dime. Macro lens, wide open f-stop so not much depth of field. Click on image to go to smugmug and select the original size to see the detail

i-X3jbWkK-L.jpg

Last edited:
amazing. I'd encourage you to post a tight crop of the DOF that's in focus.

amazing. I'd encourage you to post a tight crop of the DOF that's in focus.

Okay, here is a tight crop. The other was actually uncropped. This is handheld, 1/60 sec, f4, ISO 100. I tried to get close straight on to the window, but you can tell from the left to right that is it out of focus, in focus and then out again. Because it is on glass I couldn't use a flash and I needed a little angle so you don't see the camera. Maybe I'll try again with the tripod and a long exposure so I can up the f-stop.

i-XXCJbzp-XL.jpg

What kind of eggs? As for flash/glass, try your softbox while also shooting through some velum paper or with your reflector and the covers pulled off. (Twice diffused)

Last edited:
I wish I knew what kind of eggs. Since we aren't fanatics about clean windows, I suspect I'll have a chance to see what they are. Specially since it is the glass in the back door just below eye level. It was hard to miss when they showed up.

Pretty sure a multi-second exposure will get me the light I need to use a higher f-stop without breaking out a bunch of lighting gear. But there is always that choice.

8/18/2016 - Yesterday I also got a cool wasp shot and posted that in another thread. Went back out to shoot it again today and it was more overcast than yesterday. That meant using a flash. I hate to admit it, but I was too lazy to go inside and get the trigger and external flash. Hence the wing shadow. However this angle shows the hive/egg complex better. You can see how the ends of each cell are getting covered up.

i-SpFjsDC-L.jpg

Good ol' Paper Wasp. All these years, I was told this was a Yellow Jacket.......lies, all lies ! LOL :lol2:

8/19/2016 - Revisiting post #656 and #658, the eggs hatched today. Anybody know what they were? Yeah, they were exterminated so they wouldn't head into the house. The wife was not flexible on this.

i-GTbwf8S-XL.jpg

Dead...and in the outside trash. On the other hand though, the window is now washed. :-)

guessing moth or lacewing

Last edited:
Since this was the window in the door, I cleaned them up. They were starting to drop down and crawl under the door. If it was a real window I'd have left them to see what they were up to.

8/20/2016 - Lucky lizard. Spotted this guy hanging out on the deck in between rain showers.

i-9CnXL9j-L.jpg

8/21/2016 - The eyes have it. Spider time. This little guy is very small. Kind of translucent. Hanging out on the flowers I was looking out while talking on the phone. I quickly hung up on my mom and found my camera. :rofl:

i-dRXmZxp-L.jpg

8/21/2016 - The eyes have it. Spider time. This little guy is very small. Kind of translucent. Hanging out on the flowers I was looking out while talking on the phone. I quickly hung up on my mom and found my camera. :rofl:

i-dRXmZxp-L.jpg

So at 1/60th, did you do the rapid fire thing? That is pretty sharp if you weren't using a tripod.

Cool shot :thumb:

Back