• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Woodbutcher / Picture a day 2016

Thanks. I have kept shooting. Just getting tired of the post processing and the posting side of it.

10/1/2016 - Meet some friends for BBQ. Still working on the trigger skills with the new lens.

i-L3Crz7b-XL.jpg

10/2/2016 - Just enjoying a sunny day at Mayfield park in Austin.

i-sgXFbrD-XL.jpg

10/3/2016 - My birthday was back on the 28th. My wife is out of town for a month. We celebrated three family birthdays right before she left at a restaurant. After a bit, I realized I never had any cake. So I bought my own.

i-4KDSvr5-XL.jpg

Congrats on the lens! I bet it will become a favorite very quickly.

Thanks. I have kept shooting. Just getting tired of the post processing...

:tab I have the same problem. Perhaps it is a lack of skill/efficiency on my part in using Lightroom, but it just seems like post processing takes SO MUCH time! It does make for nice pics, but dang I get sick of doing it :twitch: I have a pretty good sized back log right now of images I haven't touched. I may have to go back to shooting more JPG and focusing more on getting everything as "right" as possible in camera rather than tweaking in post. We've been back from our recent bike trip for three weeks and I haven't touched my images other than to move them from the camera to the computer.

I have gotten a bit more brutal when it comes to deleting images. Probably a good side effect of this project. My workflow is getting more refined all the time. Basically it is import from card into Lightroom. Make first pass deleting everything that is obviously bad. Out of focus, bad composition and so on. Then I do the full delete on them from lightroom so they are totally gone. Then I make sure my quick collection (or whatever my target collection is) is selected and empty. Then I make pass number two, hitting the B (to add to target collection) for any image I think is worth taking to the develop module. That means if I have a few shots of a scene, I whittle that down to one, maybe two. After that run through, I edit and then use the smugmug publish plugin to push to a smugmug gallery. And then post here or where ever I'm going to share.

For posting to FB or Instagram, I do that on the phone or tablet from the smugmug app, using the share option.

:tab I definitely have to fight that urge to keep every shot, and I am getting much better in that regard. Watching Scott sort through his shots (and mine) after that running event at the Sam Houston State Park was educational. He makes the save/delete decision pretty quick!

I enjoyed your trip pictures, Rusty. Great job! Some stunners in there for sure.

I understand the pain of a backlog as well. I'm just now caught up on all my editing... and most those pictures are from months ago. It feels great to be caught up.

Scott (TM), the really hard part about culling comes when the pictures are of your kids. I keep thinking, maybe they will want to see that one when they are older.

Okay, let's see if I can catch up with this post.

10/04/2016 - Just playing outside with the new lens.

i-Zd4nRsg-XL.jpg

10/05/2016 - New rear tire for the new bike. Actually got it mounted today. I used all of the old without hitting the cords. Perfect, never done that before.

i-WhGJFKd-XL.jpg

10/6/2016 - Practice, practice, practice. Working on shooting with new lens at slower speeds and still get some sharpness. Sat there with the TV going, just shooting this quilt.

i-xhJPb7H-XL.jpg

10/7/2016 - Tripod and self-timer. Birthday gift from my daughter. All ambient light, no flashes.

i-KK4F284-XL.jpg

10/8/2016 - Out camping with the new bike. No cooking gear. I think this will be a hotel camping bike. Just for my friend Camilo, I gave it an electronic bath...healing tool in Lightroom to get rid of dead bugs. :rofl:

i-cRssVFR-XL.jpg

10/9/2016 - Spider time. I walked into the web early in the morning. The spider is about 3/8" in size. So not big, but not a tiny one either.

i-DT2JPLS-XL.jpg

10/10/2016 - Testing focus with my long lens. I had some issues with it at full zoom in Yellowstone. This is my local bird friend. He keeps the grackles away.

i-dqG5bsv-XL.jpg

10/11/2016 - Amazing summer we have had. So many things that die out in the heat are still thriving. These canas are pretty hardy though.

i-Bv4LJJg-XL.jpg

10/12/2016 - Yay! Caught up! Yep, this is a revisit of an old shot. This fungus has been growing on an old log. About double in size, but much darker in color. I was playing around with non-standard ratio crops with it. 24-70mm lens and on camera flash. Flash was set for 1 stop underexposed so it didn't add too much light.

i-w22whKT-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Happy belated birthday Rusty. I just got back from our trip or I would have told you earlier ! ! !

10/13/2016 - Had the macro lens on and was having a late night snack wondering what my shot for the day was going to be...and then I realized I had the solution in hand. :rofl:

i-hWm7m3k-L.jpg

10/14/2016 - You may want to check out Scott's picture a day thread for the results, but we were driving down the road and he was whining about needing a shot for the day. I saw this Halloween display and whipped the truck around. He found something to shoot. And no, it wasn't in the windows of the house...

i-ZKbRhJK-L.jpg

10/15/2016 - Burger Bash day at Tourmeister's house. So I shot a spider? Okay, I got distracted. Shot a butterfly too.

i-SfmKf9J-L.jpg

Okay, let's see if I can catch up with this post.

10/8/2016 - Out camping with the new bike. No cooking gear. I think this will be a hotel camping bike. Just for my friend Camilo, I gave it an electronic bath...healing tool in Lightroom to get rid of dead bugs. :rofl:

i-cRssVFR-XL.jpg

I need to learn about the electronic bath . . .
:trust:

10/16/2016 - Saw something on the Texas Parks and Wildlife instagram account about it being some sort of Save the Pollinator's day or something like that. I had just gotten a nice shot of a bee coming out of a Morning Glory blossom that morning so that started a whole string of pollinators in action shots for me yesterday. This was the first, and my favorite too.

i-hQwzwTx-XL.jpg

10/17/2016 - Sorry for another flower. I went out looking for butterflies, but none were to be found and the bees were too fast for me today.

I really like the contrasting blue/gray fence with the intense color of the flower. My OCDness would like the top of the fence parallel with the edges of the image.

I really like the contrasting blue/gray fence with the intense color of the flower. My OCDness would like the top of the fence parallel with the edges of the image.

Yeah, but then the gaps between the fence boards won't be upright. Basically I was at an angle to the fence so perspective makes the top look non-horizontal.

10/18/2016 - Spotted this guy hanging out on my truck when I took the trash out. 20 shots and got 3 I liked. This was my favorite. It is a little jumping spider.

i-MPqqJ7c-XL.jpg

Spiders are always cool subjects :thumb:

That worm has great camouflage!

If it hadn't fallen/jumped then I'd have never seen it. Since I had a sequence with the wasp, I went through and found a fairly sharp version of both.

10/20/2016 - Winter is coming. Evening light from behind a Burr oak leaf. They are just starting to fall in my yard.

i-NMqFJHq-XL.jpg

10/21/2016 - Well, it was a tough choice today. Got some excellent butterfly shots, one good flower, one good squirrel and this guy. I saw the owner get out of his pickup truck with this cockatoo on his shoulder so I grabbed a camera and wandered over. The owner has had it since it was young. It is a little over 13 years old now.

i-HcW9HXr-XL.jpg

Back