• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

16th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - 2024

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Now that the 16th is done, planning for 2025.

17th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - 2025​

2025 Ride Dates:
Monday, July 28th through Friday, August 1st, 2025.

The ride is normally the calendar week 31 of the year.
__________________________________________________________________________________

1716247846871.png

"Its like Summer Camp for Hard Dual Sports, Share the Joy of Motorcycling"

Ride days: Monday, July 29 thru Friday, August 2, 2024

This is an unofficial, no routes, no cost to participate ride; ride when, how, with whom and where you want.

As this is a mountain dual sport ride, most ride on plated (meaning street legal) dirt bikes or the most dirt oriented dual sport bikes.
This is called a Dual Sport ride in that its the most convenient to ride to and from town to the trails, and to connect trails.

Bring your non-riding husband / wife / partner / kids / siblings also, make it a family vacation.

target-goals-icon-success-business-strategy-vector-8335079.jpg

The Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is about giving back, camaraderie, exploration, growth, and being safe; in addition to developing and renewing friendships so no one rides alone.

*Plus, escape the summer heat, ride in the cool mountain air in an alpine environment. And maybe the desert depending on the conditions or time of day.

1. The trails need more riding in, responsibly. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride the riders are encouraged to make a donation to the Cloudcroft Fire / EMS on Monday morning at the pre-ride gathering to give back and further off-road motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group. The dollar amount is whatever each rider feels is appropriate, and is made directly by the rider to the Fire Chief.
Write a check directly to the Clouldcroft EMS and get the tax deduction.

1672694586851.png

At your own risk if your bike isn't plated and you ride on the street... its more beneficial to our cause, and if you need them later, to donate to the fire department rather than to pay a fine to the police department.

The point of the ride is to elevate our status as responsible users.

There are parking areas at most motorized trailheads.
IMG_20230509_175922_504.jpg

***NOTE - The trails can be very challenging.

There are adventure opportunities as well, usually an adventure group forms up. The New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route goes through the area.

gege .jpeg

Unofficial 2024 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride itinerary:

Sunday, July 28 - Prep Day
*Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.
And pickup your 2024 ride sticker. The weekly winner criteria for the ride mug and banner will be announced.

Monday, July 29 - Ride Day
Acclamation Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ 9a @ the pre-ride gathering - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Tuesday, July 30 - Ride Day
Exploration Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas

Wednesday, July 31 - Ride Day
Hero Day IE The Hard day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Thursday, August 1 - Ride Day
Rediscover Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Friday, August 2 - Ride Day
Safety Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB
Two Giveaway - a 2024 ride mug and a 2024 ride banner. Must be present to win, and must have ridden a minimum of 4 days.

348902876_2763627333773642_126417333472784900_n.jpg

group-icon-png-7.png

Groups take off about 9a daily from the Cloudcroft pavilion, on truly street legal dual sport motorcycles, with a day's worth of fuel or a full charge, ready to ride just after filming the daily video.
Directions to the Cloudcroft Pavilion.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 172549.jpg
Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated.

The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups will be which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc.
You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit, like fun and know how to read a map. Or the Avenza Map.
*The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) show where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

As the ride is self-guided join a group or LEAD ONE; it is beneficial if possible to group up by:
  • Technical desire
  • Expected pace
  • Hours to ride
  • Fuel Range
  • Bike size
  • Etc.
Group sizes of 4 to 6 riders, or less seem to flow the best.
  • Similarity of daily ride goals equals more enjoyment and comfort for each rider.
  • If the group groove isn't what you expected, be prepare to split the group up further to increase enjoyment.
  • Be prepared for 100 miles or so between fuel stops. If not plan ahead to split off from the group on your own to get fuel.
The small group I lead will take a lunch break in the woods about 1p each ride day, I usually bring a sandwich and a snack.

RidersMeeting-icon-495x336.jpg

Spacing & keeping the group together on the roads and trails
The Daisy Chain method
is very effective to avoid the dust and keep the group moving.
***BUT all riders have to pay attention to the riders directly in front of them and behind them. If they do, the daisy chain method works great so the entire group doesn't have to stop to regroup up at every non-obvious change of direction.

1. Rider in front - Wait at every corner/turn for the rider directly behind you when the direction to continue isn't 100% obvious.
  2. Rider in front - Wave or make some other gesture to the rider directly behind you before you take off. Just because you see the rider behind you it doesn't mean the rider behind sees you and the proper direction to continue.
  3. Rider behind - Make an acknowledgement gesture that confirms you see the proper direction to go, and also that you will stop to wait for the next rider. And that rider will repeat the process starting at 1.
It really is a simple process, to work though, each rider (except the sweep rider) must take responsibility for the rider directly behind them.
If not its a total failure.
Then the entire group can revert to stopping and regrouping at every non-obvious change of direction.

Also, take off from any stops in order of expected pace, and respect the spacing of the other rider(s) trying to avoid the dust. Anyone that's ridden an enduro knows this process.

Stay of the trail
We are blessed to have access to National Forest trails please don't give anyone a reason(s) for us to lose that privilege.

Be courtesy to other trail users
When in doubt yield the right of way.

Lost

If you do get separated, stop at the last known spot the group has ridden, the group with backtrack to you.

Breaking off

If you decide to break off from the group, tell the group leader before you do.

SIA Logo_Circle.png

Map and trail information

The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) show where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

You may pick FREE copies of the MVUM map at the Forest Service office or download the PDF version here - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413949.pdf

Trails - https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/lincoln/recreation/ohv/?recid=34166&actid=93

For your bike:
Prepare your bike properly in advance, be self prepared during the ride, with tires that will last 500 miles in rocky terrain, with Heavy Duty tubes, Tubliss, Bibs, etc. You'll be in the mountains and maybe the high desert, have:

• Plenty of fuel - be prepared for a minimum of 100 miles between fuel stops. If not be prepared to split off from the group on your own to get fuel.
  • Tools, and know how to use them.
  • Tubes, tire irons, air supply, etc. Or the equivalent for your choice of in the tire buoyancy.
  • Tow strap.
  • Extra spark plugs, levers, zip ties, duct tape, etc.
  • Two stroke oil, if riding a two stroke, we may gas up at a remote gas station.
  • Liquid steel or equivalent for repairing a cracked engine case.
  • Be bike sufficient
For you:
  • Food for lunch and a snack later.
  • Matches.
  • More water than you think you'll need.
  • Rain gear. It will rain at some point. I carry a jacket and trash bags.
  • Money.
  • Be self sufficient
What to expect. See previous videos.
1716860961571.png

1702738856377.png

Last edited:
Can't wait to be there again! My wife is also going to ride again this year.

Cabin booked, now I just have to decide which bike to take.

1st stop on the 2023 ride.
DSC06756.JPG

DSC06742.JPG

Last edited:
I'll be there at the beginning of the week, but have to return to work on August 1. Curious about jetting my XTrainer for the altitude. Stock is a 155 main jet and 38 pilot jet. What jets should I order for Cloudcroft? Or do I need to even worry about it?

I just returned from Cloudcroft. I kicked all the rocks off the Rim Trail, perfectly groomed now.
I had some help.
DSC07983.JPG

5 minutes unloading at home and I'm soaked. Last night was 43 degrees, yesterday 68.

I forgot exactly what I changed to on my 2022 XTrainer. Cloudcroft is right at 9000 feet. I followed the chart for the 2022 and it ran great, so great the shock broke. We even rode down through Alamogordo (4500 feet) to ride up some of the Roundup Ground Trail. Rich is safe, but can be messy and may fouls plugs. If you decide not to re-jett carry spark plugs and a plug wrench. And be able to change a plug trail side.

This is the Beta dealer in Alamogordo - https://www.southwestsuzukikawasaki.com/contact-us/ They should be able to give the best, local advice.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1320724-xtrainer-jetting-for-9k-to-14k-feet-colorado/

2023 Owners Manual
https://store-peenhlhyij.mybigcommerce.com/content/2023xtrainer.pdf
1716857853608.png

Last edited:
I've noticed Airbnbs are getting sparse for the week.

I've never stayed at either of these two options but they are close to where several of the others are staying including my wife and I.

And of course there is camping.

Some of the giveaways have arrived.

Stickers, one per participant; a coffee mug (not in yet) and the banner both of which will be given away to two lucky riders at the committees criteria.

IMG_20240529_184131_033.jpg

IMG_20240529_184207_678.jpg

Curious about jetting my XTrainer for the altitude. Stock is a 155 main jet and 38 pilot jet. What jets should I order for Cloudcroft? Or do I need to even worry about it?
order a 150 main & 35 pilot for cloudcroft....and move the clip up one notch (away from pointed end) on needle.

Any worries about the Riudoso fires making it to Cloudcroft?

My son and I have rooms booked for the ride. Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Ruidoso won't be the same in our lifetime I'm afraid. I actually was considering buying a place there to escape TX summers, and was hoping to visit in the next 30 days. They had 25 years to clean up the place, since warned by the forest service that dense forest was an incredible fire risk. For grins, just take a look at the real estate sites and you will see how almost every home for sale ignored the risk. I did 4 years on the volunteer mountain fire department in the rockies above Boulder CO, and got a real appreciation for fire mitigation. Its darn near impossible to completely eliminate the risk. I worked 10 years burning brush piles in the winter on my own 7 acres of paradise and that was after part of it had burned 10 years previously.
Sugarloaf Brush removal.jpg

The days my wife is riding this year I'll be leading a slow, dust free group. Probably Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Slow overall, lots of waiting, picture taking, etc. She doesn't ride fast, doesn't like dust if there is any, and doesn't ride technical stuff.

She'll be riding her trusty street legal Yamaha TTR125L.

36267118762_327b60b0e5_h.jpg

I will be ready for hero day on Wednesday. That could change if she decides to take a different day off.

This Cloudcroft area, in my opinion, is one of the easiest areas to explore, roam and ride.

However, you should have a map with you. At minimum I always carry a paper map with me, as it is legal proof of motorized trail legality.

Map and trail information

1721480295880.png

Paper map
The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) show where you can and cannot take a motorized vehicle. They show where you can legally drive, take your motorcycles, ATVs or UTVs and where you can disperse camp (aka road-side camp).

You may pick FREE copies of the MVUM map at the Forest Service office or download the PDF version here - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413949.pdf

Online options
Avenza - https://store.avenza.com/search?avenzasfy_products[query]=Lincoln National Forest&avenzasfy_products[refinementList][vendor][0]=US Forest Service R3
Caltopo - https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=32.90813,-105.7283&z=11&b=mbt&a=mvum

From post 1:
Willing group leaders are encouraged and appreciated.

The more group leaders there are, the smaller the groups will be which offers a better chance for similarity of bike size, ride goals, etc.
You don't have to be any expert on the area to lead a group, just have an adventurous spirit, like fun and know how to read a map.

Trails - https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/lincoln/recreation/ohv/?recid=34166&actid=93

1721480491233.png

What about using the OnX trail app in Cloudcroft? Does it have any of your trails on it? I think I saw the rim trail on it.

Back