• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

16th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - 2024

I've heard great things about OnX however, I've never used it.

I use the official Forest Service MVUM paper map to have forest service confirmation on the legality of trails.

After 16 years I just ride to explore and avoid the rain.

I'm always asked what the daily plan is, I let the weather dictate that. If it's dark one way we go the opposite way.

Sometimes we even go down to the desert to warm up.

The monsoon season is active this year. It rains somewhere in the forest every day.

Be sure and bring a rain jacket and extra gloves etc handy if you do get caught in a shower.

FYI the forecast for tomorrow is a high of 60 and lower 44!

Last edited:
We used OnX some in Las Cruces. Worked pretty well.

Thanks for the tip on the rain jacket and extra gloves.

Those temps sound so nice right now. 🥵

The app Avenza collaborates with NFS, and you can download the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for free. Very handy on a smart phone and far superior to paper MVUM map because the app shows your location.

The countdown to #16, the ride starts one week from today!
Day 1 in 2023.

Note from the 1st post -
  • Although there is no cost to participate in the ride the riders are encouraged to make a donation to the Cloudcroft Fire / EMS on Monday morning at the pre-ride gathering to give back and further off-road motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group.

59 degrees here in Cloudcroft this morning at 730. Worth the discomfort of loading the truck in high temps and high humidity.

On my way, in Hobbs.

It actually feels a little cool here, can't wait to experience the extra 5000 feet elevation gain temp.

IMG_20240726_165554_686.jpg

gege .jpeg

Unofficial 2024 Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride itinerary - Today:

Sunday, July 28
- Prep Day
*Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.

And pickup your 2024 ride sticker.

We are getting a later start than I wanted so don’t think we will make it to the dinner tonight. What time is the meetup at the pavilion tomorrow?

The full week.

About 845a, start preparing for your interview. 😊

gege .jpeg

Unofficial 2024 Smokey Bear Open Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride itinerary:

Sunday, July 28
- Prep Day I *Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.
And pickup your 2024 ride sticker. The weekly winner criteria for the ride mug and banner will be announced.

Monday, July 29 - Ride Day I Acclamation Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ 9a @ the pre-ride gathering - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Tuesday, July 30 - Ride Day I Exploration Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas

Wednesday, July 31 - Ride Day I Hero Day IE The Hard day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Thursday, August 1 - Ride Day I Rediscover Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Friday, August 2 - Ride Day I Safety Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB
Giveaway for a ride mug and banner!
348902876_2763627333773642_126417333472784900_n.jpg

Last edited:
The full week.

About 845a, start preparing for your interview. 😊

gege .jpeg

Unofficial 2024 Smokey Bear Open Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride itinerary:

Sunday, July 28
- Prep Day I *Pre-ride dinner @ 630p Cloudcroft Brewing Company - Good time to meet & get to know each other, and plan for the week; rides, dinners / cook outs, designate group leaders, etc.
And pickup your 2024 ride sticker. The weekly winner criteria for the ride mug and banner will be announced.

Monday, July 29 - Ride Day I Acclamation Day & Cloudcroft Fire / EMS donation @ 9a @ the pre-ride gathering - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Tuesday, July 30 - Ride Day I Exploration Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Taco Tuesday @ 630p - Western Bar and Cafe $1.50 Tacos & $6.00 Margaritas

Wednesday, July 31 - Ride Day I Hero Day IE The Hard day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Thursday, August 1 - Ride Day I Rediscover Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.

Friday, August 2 - Ride Day I Safety Day - Meet at the Cloudcroft Pavilion about 845a.
*Dinner - Post-ride banquet @ 630p - Ski Cloudcroft *BYOB
Giveaway for a ride mug and banner!
348902876_2763627333773642_126417333472784900_n.jpg

Actually, we might make it to the dinner around 7pm or so, if y’all are still there. We will drive straight there before checking in.

Just missed you. Headed there Thursday. Hope you moved some rocks out of the way.

Bill Jr has to get back to work so we are leaving this AM. We really enjoyed the ride. See yall next year hopefully.

Back