• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

16th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride - 2024

RacerX when asked what he thought about the XR400.
IMG_3846 (1).jpg

Photo credit: CZ47racer

17th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride​

2025 Dates:
Monday, July 28th through Friday, August 1st, 2025.

Normally calendar week 31.

This event looks amazing! I'm hoping to attend next year. As a very new dual-sport rider, is there a place I can read up on what the rides look like in terms of skills needed? I guess what I'm wondering is if a one year old rider (next year) can tackle the trails y'all do.

This event looks amazing! I'm hoping to attend next year. As a very new dual-sport rider, is there a place I can read up on what the rides look like in terms of skills needed? I guess what I'm wondering is if a one year old rider (next year) can tackle the trails y'all do.
This was my second year at this event. The first year I rode mostly easy forest roads with the “adventure” group. This year I rode with some of the more experienced riders, and the trails they ride are pretty challenging for a not too experienced rider, IMO. They do lots of rocky single track/ATV width trails that require a good bit of skill and an endurance to get through.

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and young adult for years, but have just gotten back into it and have been riding 2 years or so. I’m 60 and in decent but not good “mountain shape” (the altitude makes me tired). My previous rides have been at Big Bend, Colorado riding some single track, Las Crusas riding in the desert, and some other places. So I have a decent bit of experience, but most of these trails they ride still kicked my butt, just for reference. These folks can really ride.

This was my second year at this event. The first year I rode mostly easy forest roads with the “adventure” group. This year I rode with some of the more experienced riders, and the trails they ride are pretty challenging for a not too experienced rider, IMO. They do lots of rocky single track/ATV width trails that require a good bit of skill and an endurance to get through.

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and young adult for years, but have just gotten back into it and have been riding 2 years or so. I’m 60 and in decent but not good “mountain shape” (the altitude makes me tired). My previous rides have been at Big Bend, Colorado riding some single track, Las Crusas riding in the desert, and some other places. So I have a decent bit of experience, but most of these trails they ride still kicked my butt, just for reference. These folks can really ride.
Thank you for the response. So the 'adventure' group that rides forest roads...I assume those are fairly docile and would be a good reason to come for a 'first-timer'?

I really wanted to make it to this but had a wedding to attend in Iowa. Maybe next time. Thanks for the reports, it looks like a blast!

Mudclod great stuff!

I haven't ridden Carr Gap in several years. Great road! Love to see a skilled Rider on a fast ADV bike on that road. Or a rally car.

Back