• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the playlist of all of my NMBDR videos. I hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen some of your videos, I'm impressed, wish I could do that. did you take a laptop, so you could empty your cards?

I have seen some of your videos, I'm impressed, wish I could do that. did you take a laptop, so you could empty your cards?

No I have 3 cameras and 350-400GB worth of micro SD cards. I’m looking to maybe buy a drone soon. Like I need something more to make film to edit. Me and my dad ride my mother usually stays in a place it 2 along the way with extra tools, tires, parts, ext. if we end up meeting her at the camper for a night I could offload video on to my passport but never have ran out. The biggest problem I have is finding copyright free music. Sorry

No I have 3 cameras and 350-400GB worth of micro SD cards. I’m looking to maybe buy a drone soon. Like I need something more to make film to edit. Me and my dad ride my mother usually stays in a place it 2 along the way with extra tools, tires, parts, ext. if we end up meeting her at the camper for a night I could offload video on to my passport but never have ran out. The biggest problem I have is finding copyright free music. Sorry

If there was a way to rig a 50/50 blend of wind free tailpipe music, and copyright free music, the free music stuff wouldn't sound so bad.

Last edited:
If there was a way to rig a 50/50 blend of wind free tailpipe music, and copyright free music, the free stuff wouldn't sound so bad.

Either way you go the NMBDR is a great ride. Bad music or not. I wish I could join up and do it for a 2nd time. Whoever goes will
Not be disappointed. We did the ride the same time of the year, all we had some afternoon mountain showers but nothing much.

Attempted the NMBDR in 2016 with JoToPe and his son. A few miles in JoToPe's son had some bad luck with his bike so we couldn't complete the ride.. But, spent some really nice days around Cloudcroft..... This looks like a good opportunity for JoToPe, dualsportrider and myself to ride most of the NMBDR :)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a repeat, except for the cratered water pump. The weather should be perfect for this.

Looking forward to a repeat, except for the cratered water pump. The weather should be perfect for this.
Maybe I should consider an aftermarket skid plate for the Husky so I don't have the same fate... nah, I'll just wheelie over the boulders :)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

My buddy John Andrews (Dirty Twin around these parts) did it with his wife summer 2018. Africa Twin and KLR.
Depending on schedule, I may just have to come down from Denver and meet you guys along the way :)

That is so cool that she did this with him, good for her!

A few friends and I are planning a loop ride of most of the New Mexico backcountry discovery route, Saturday, June 6 - Saturday, June 13th, and we are extending invitations for other teams to ride the same route at the same time.

Our plan is to trailer to Ruidoso, NM on Saturday, June 6th. Leaving our truck/trailer in Ruidoso, we will begin on Sunday morning, June 7th and ride a six-day clockwise loop of the New Mexico BDR (sections 2 - 6 and a small part of section 7), returning to Ruidoso on Friday, June 12th. Trailer back to Texas on Saturday, June 13th.

NM%20BDR%20June%202020-L.jpg

Cost: $0 There is no cost or registration for this ride. Just show up and ride.

Schedule

Saturday, June 6 - travel to Ruidoso, NM
Day 1, Sunday, June 7 - 195 miles, overnight in Truth or Consequences, NM
Day 2, Monday, June 8 - 165 miles, overnight in Reserve, NM
Day 3, Tuesday, June 9 - 218 miles, overnight in Grants, NM
Day 4, Wednesday, June 10 - 221 miles, overnight in Espanola, NM
Day 5, Thursday, June 11 - 103 miles, overnight in Bernalillo, NM
Day 6, Friday, June 12 - 214 miles, overnight in Ruidoso, NM
Saturday, June 13 - travel back to Texas

Logistics - For this event I am not organizing groups for riders to join. You will need to organize your own riding group and meet up with them on Saturday, June 6th in Ruidoso. If you already have a group of buddies you ride with, then get them to attend and you are all set. If you are new to the sport, or don't have a group you normally ride with, use this thread as a resource to find others to join your group. I am providing a suggested route in gpx format for use with your GPS, a suggested riding schedule, and the name of the hotels I'm staying at. Beside that, everything else is up to you and your group.

Sleeping: I'm planning on staying in a hotel every night. However, don't feel compelled to do the same. I believe there are ample camping opportunities along the route but don't know any details. If your group is planning on staying in a hotel, make your reservations right now! You can always cancel your reservations if something happens. Note that there are very limited hotel options in Reserve, NM - if you wait to reserve a room/cabin/house you may end up camping. Here is where I'm staying each night:

Saturday, June 6 - Ruidoso, NM - Quality Inn
Sunday, June 7 - Truth or Consequences, NM - Comfort Inn & Suites
Monday, June 8 - Reserve, NM - Frisco Lodging Company
Tuesday, June 9 - Grants, NM - Quality Inn
Wednesday, June 10 - Espanola, NM - Rodeway Inn
Thursday, June 11 - Bernalillo, NM - Days Inn
Friday, June 12 - Ruidoso, NM - Quality Inn

Dinner: Group dinner on Thursday and Friday night, 6 pm both nights
Thursday, June 11 - Filiberto's Mexican Restaurant, Bernalillo
Friday, June 12 - K-Bob's Steakhouse, Ruidoso

Fuel: According to the New Mexico BDR map, the longest section without fuel is 153 miles. I recommend carrying 200 miles worth of fuel.
Day 1 - Ruidoso to T or C, one gas stop
Day 2 - T or C to Reserve, one gas stop
Day 3 - Reserve to Grants, 2 gas stops
Day 4 - Grants to Espanola, 120 miles to first gas in Cuba, NM
Day 5 - Espanola to Bernalillo, multiple gas stops
Day 6 - Bernalillo to Ruidoso, multiple gas stops

Weather: The BDR folks recommend June and September as the best weather months to ride the NMBDR. My guess is that morning temps will be high 40s to low 50s at elevation (for example, Ruidoso) and afternoon highs in the high 70s to low 80s. Lower elevations will likely be a little warmer than that. Dress in layers. Be prepared to ride in brisk weather for the first few hours and then shed layers as the temps heat up to the 70s or 80s.

Bike: From the NMBDR website: Any bike that has a license plate, can run knobby tires, is set-up to carry the gear you plan to bring, and has the fuel range to make the distance between gas stops. Most adventure or dual-sport motorcycles will be suitable for the trip. Choose the bike that you are the most comfortable riding in desert and mountain terrain.

I will be riding my KTM 500 EXC. The other guys on my team will be riding similar type bikes. I suspect that if you are an average or better dirt rider that you could do this ride on one of those ginormous adventure bikes. As I understand it, the BDR folks design these routes with the big bikes in mind. I haven't ridden this route before so I can only go by what I've heard.

Map and GPS: Send me an email at rgibbens@austin.rr.com and I will email you the route in gpx format. I strongly recommend buying the paper map sold by the fine folks at BDR. Here's the link.

I know it is still early, and a lot of things are up in the air, but does this still look like a Go?

From my perspective I am hopping for the best and keeping my hotel reservations. If things show no sighs of opening up by the end of May, might need to rethink. Really need to get out and ride, so I hope things open up :)

From my perspective I am hopping for the best and keeping my hotel reservations. If things show no sighs of opening up by the end of May, might need to rethink. Really need to get out and ride, so I hope things open up :)

Yep, I was looking forward to this, wanting to see this country, do some camping, and hopefully finding some riders to ride with.

My thinking as well. JT and I are operating as if it is a go. Until and if it becomes a no-go

I am so jacked up to ride after bumping into this quick Adv Bike video

I know it is still early, and a lot of things are up in the air, but does this still look like a Go?

Yes, still a go.

My personal opinion is that the majority of states will be partially, or fully, re-opened for business by the end of May.

If I'm wrong and nothing changes (i.e. the states don't re-open), the ride is still possible. The current situation in New Mexico is:

The national forests are open. While some of the facilities (developed campsites, visitors centers, etc) are closed, dispersed camping is allowed.

Gas stations are open.

Restaurants are open for take-out and delivery.

Grocery stores and WalMarts are open.

Hotels are still open. Some of the smaller hotels have closed due to a lack of business, but others have remained open. That being the case, staying in a hotel every night might not be able a viable option, but a mix of camping and hotel is.

The one thing that would stop this ride is if a new outbreak occurred and the government increased the lock-down (i.e. mandated closure of the national forest, gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc) but that seems unlikely with the current trajectory of events.

Last edited:
I'm planning a BDR trip as soon as New Mexico rescinds the closures....
but late May/early June is fire season....

I did not know that. I thought fire season was July. Just goes to show I don't spend enough time riding there.

I picked early June based on this advice from the BDR website:
"The NMBDR is best in the months of June and September. The route can be done in May, but snowpack in the high mountains may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. New Mexico experiences summer monsoons in the months of July and August. These heavy rains can keep you from riding the majority of the route due to mud and flash floods. You can also ride the NMBDR far into November, but the days are shorter and you will encounter hunters."

Keep an eye on the New Mexico drought map - a D3 or D4 rankings tends to create the perfect fuel for fires. I rerouted when this Disco Inferno hit the Silver City area one year.

RB
I believe the red flags are already up in New Mexico and West Texas with this front we had . I saw a report talking about depressed Commodities and drought were going to make for a tough year this year for farmers.

Clearly, weather patterns have gotten less and less predictable in recent years but the south half of New Mexico usually doesn't see much rain until early July...
I've been riding around Cloudcroft since the early 70's and have seen several years when the Lincoln Nat'l Forest was closed until early July 4 holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back