• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best-Mex: New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannagan's Meadow has cabins and camping as well. They are actually on 191 South of Alpine a bit. We stayed in a nice two bedroom cabin and had a great meal in the lodge the last time I was through that area.

Richard, that is a killer modification, would be great to be able to hang with everyone and share tall tells about the days ride. Thanks for putting this together !

I am planning to join up for this. Peter Shaddock mentioned it to me so we might be forming a small sub-group. I plan to take a slightly different (dirt) route from Espanola to La Cueva in order to more tightly hug the north rim of Valles Caldera.

I think we will be a smaller bike crew -- haven't talked much yet about camp vs motel....when I did NMDBR solo I stayed in my hammock every night. Late May was still a bit chilly some nights!

John Joyce
Plainfast
xr400 mex-trekker

If I can get off work, I think I'm in. KTM 690. Maybe camp, maybe hotel.

Reactions: jmn
I'm in with one other guy from the DFW area.
We are camping.

Has anyone come up with a definitive place to park for the week?

Definitely in! Maybe on motorcycle if I have it running reliably again and I am reacquainted enough with riding. At very least camping and traversing in the vanhouse and could play support vehicle, I have a moto hitch carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm staying in hotels. Are you asking for hotel recommendations?
I've never ridden the NMBDR before and don't know much about it. Everyone that I know that does it, camps.

Due to that, I'm not sure if finding hotels while riding it is tough to do or not. Meaning, is there only one hotel here or there that you have to stay at to make it work?

The Hotels are listed in the first post. Some have camping accommodations near for those that want to hang out after a day of riding. Richard has the days laid out with reasonable mileage to know where he is going to stop each day. I would make reservations ahead of time if you want to stay in Hotels.

The Hotels are listed in the first post. Some have camping accommodations near for those that want to hang out after a day of riding. Richard has the days laid out with reasonable mileage to know where he is going to stop each day. I would make reservations ahead of time if you want to stay in Hotels.
Doh
facepalm.gif

My bad. Will read more closely.

I am planning to join up for this. Peter Shaddock mentioned it to me so we might be forming a small sub-group. I plan to take a slightly different (dirt) route from Espanola to La Cueva in order to more tightly hug the north rim of Valles Caldera.

I think we will be a smaller bike crew -- haven't talked much yet about camp vs motel....when I did NMDBR solo I stayed in my hammock every night. Late May was still a bit chilly some nights!

John Joyce
Plainfast
xr400 mex-trekker
Is the route you are taking from Espanola to La Cueva along the north rim of Valles Caldera a more interesting ride, more challenging? A buddy of mine and I from Dallas are going on KTM 450 and Husk 501y, Camping along the way. Would you have tracks of the way you are going that you would consider sharing with us? We decided to take the smaller bikes over the Africa Twins so we could ride some good off road stuff. Dan

Has anyone come up with a definitive place to park for the week?
I'm staying at the Motel 6 in Ruidoso on the first/last nights of the ride and they said no problem with leaving a truck there for the week. You'd probably have to rent a room from them.

I'm staying at the Motel 6 in Ruidoso on the first/last nights of the ride and they said no problem with leaving a truck there for the week. You'd probably have to rent a room from them.
Awesome. That is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks!
Anyone else have any parking beta? Options are always good.

Hoping to go.

I ride an R1200GS. I don't trailer. I don't camp (not this time, anyway).

Three of us on ginormous GS's rode the southern half of the NMBDR (Dell City, TX to Alma, NM) a couple of years ago. No issues.

Awesome. That is the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks!
Anyone else have any parking beta? Options are always good.

I'm staying at the Quality Inn and they told me it was okay to leave the truck/trailer parked there since we had reservations.

...they told me it was okay to leave the truck/trailer parked there since we had reservations...
I reserved a room at Motel 6 and made the same arrangements.
Also made a reservation at the Hidden Springs Inn for a campsite and dinner. Thanks a TON for setting that up. Really looking forward to that. Thanks also for posting this whole trip up here. We've been wanting to do this for a long time.

! am going to carry two 1.5 liter fuel bottles and a siphon hose on mine. Are you in?

I had posted on a separate thread about doing the NMBDR in Late May/Early June. Well, with Memorial Day, Covid and getting caught up with work I can’t make it happen in that time frame. I can make the 6/6 - 6/12 trip. I‘m looking for a group to tag along with and will be riding my 1090. Plan on camping unless weather says otherwise. Anybody have room in their group or need to start a new group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back