• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend - Trans-Peco pipeline proposal?

• Thread starter Thread starter mr-roboto
  • Start date Start date
.00138 X 723 = .99774 (1) You didn't 'burst my bubble'- You pointed out a single typo.
My sincere apology for adding a % sign where it was not appropriate. Does this help you understand ?
(Any editors out there?)

Last edited:
.00138 X 723 = .99774 (1) You didn't 'burst my bubble'- You pointed out a single typo.
My sincere apology for adding a % sign where it was not appropriate. Does this help you understand ?
(Any editors out there?)

That's odd. I did a little digging and a) now I realize that we are talking about an issue that happened in 1999 so finding articles on it are rather difficult and b) it appears that Radian Corp wasn't the only one working on this (Magellan MP also published a mitigation plan) and now Magellan owns and runs the pipeline.

What I find funny, is that in the Magellan MP (sorry I can't find the original Radian plan), whenever they talk probabilities it is always in the context of a % since it would be a statistic, not historical data. They did this several times throughout their plan, and each and every time it was a percentage-based statistical probability.

The good news for you is that because this was 17 years ago, the pipeline has been in operation for quite some time, along with a few expansions and modifications to carry different types of products from what I can find. So with this in mind, them having 1 leak all the time at some point on their pipeline (this coming from your math, not mine; and also not taking into account current expansion numbers) can you post up links to all of the articles detailing all of the leaks they have had throughout the years?

And finally Mike, I just have a question. You do seem to like electricity and gasoline, so I am really open to hearing where do you think we should get it from? Pipelines have been by far the safest most of transport for almost a century when we really look at statistics of rail transport or highway transport. So where should this stuff come from and be transported by? Obviously you are all for using it, as you are currently doing, as am I. So how should it get from point to point in a perfect world?

I did find this interesting. This is sensitivity of the leak detection system used on the troubled pipeline that does run near Austin.

This system is designed to detect a leak as small as 0.0030467 barrel per hour in twelve (12)
to one hundred twenty (120) minutes from contact with the leak detection cable, depending upon the
product sensed by the system.

To put that in perspective, and use math; that system can detect a leak of .12gal of product in 12-120 minutes depending on what exactly it is. That kind of sensitivity is just awesome if you ask me. Heck, I know some folks with old bikes that leak more oil than that going to a Pie Run and back!

for anyone interested in checking out pipe lines, leases or anything related to them you can go HERE and click on "visibility" tab on the top left and select what you want to see and then zoom in and pan around.
you then can click on the icon of a "I" in a circle and select "pipeline" you can then put your cursor on a pipeline and click and it will give you data on that pipeline.

lithium_tar_sands_meme_zpsiciwux1v.jpg

:eek2:

That's odd. I did a little digging and a) now I realize that we are talking about an issue that happened in 1999 so finding articles on it are rather difficult and b) it appears that Radian Corp wasn't the only one working on this (Magellan MP also published a mitigation plan) and now Magellan owns and runs the pipeline.

What I find funny, is that in the Magellan MP (sorry I can't find the original Radian plan), whenever they talk probabilities it is always in the context of a % since it would be a statistic, not historical data. They did this several times throughout their plan, and each and every time it was a percentage-based statistical probability.

The good news for you is that because this was 17 years ago, the pipeline has been in operation for quite some time, along with a few expansions and modifications to carry different types of products from what I can find. So with this in mind, them having 1 leak all the time at some point on their pipeline (this coming from your math, not mine; and also not taking into account current expansion numbers) can you post up links to all of the articles detailing all of the leaks they have had throughout the years?

And finally Mike, I just have a question. You do seem to like electricity and gasoline, so I am really open to hearing where do you think we should get it from? Pipelines have been by far the safest most of transport for almost a century when we really look at statistics of rail transport or highway transport. So where should this stuff come from and be transported by? Obviously you are all for using it, as you are currently doing, as am I. So how should it get from point to point in a perfect world?

I'm impressed!
I'm impressed by your complete failure to grasp the focus of my original post. I'm neither for nor against fuels of any kind.

Last edited:
for anyone interested in checking out pipe lines, leases or anything related to them you can go HERE and click on "visibility" tab on the top left and select what you want to see and then zoom in and pan around.
you then can click on the icon of a "I" in a circle and select "pipeline" you can then put your cursor on a pipeline and click and it will give you data on that pipeline.

That's an excellent link Leon. I used to get the same info at another link of theirs, but it wasn't nearly as user friendly. This is much faster.

Don't worry, you and I are in good company being confused with his reply. That is what happens when trying to use logical reasoning with someone that is running on pure emotion. Sad.....

Well, good for you Tim! And when your grandkids ask "Pawpaw, why do you live out here in this stinking wasteland?" It will be interesting to hear your reply
and see the look on there sweet innocent faces.

I assure you, the existence of kids or grandkids would come as a shocking surprise at this point in my life, especially if they had turned out as hippies. Besides, I live in the West Texas oil patch, so people ask me that very question already. My answer is simple and direct; human life would be much worse without oil and oil-based products. What you see as ugly, I see as a golden age.

Other than TWTim's utilitarian argument, little of this thread has been particularly logical. While I disagree with Tim's valuation of the natural sciences in making his decision, that discussion is not for this forum.

To argue that Mike's position against a specific pipeline means he is against all oil production is to take his statement out of context. An analogy would be for someone to say "Mexican food is bad for your health..." and have someone else reply "What, you expect us to stop eating?" It's a common fallacy where a statement is taken out of context to make it easier to argue against. There is always going to be a tension between methods of oil production and distribution and other factors like the environment, finance and surface owner's rights. Nobody is giving up oil anytime soon and if I missed where someone said we should give it up, post it up.

And that's the Escondida Copper mine, not a lithium mine BTW.

m

To argue that Mike's position against a specific pipeline means he is against all oil production is to take his statement out of context. An analogy would be for someone to say "Mexican food is bad for your health..." and have someone else reply "What, you expect us to stop eating?" It's a common fallacy where a statement is taken out of context to make it easier to argue against. There is always going to be a tension between methods of oil production and distribution and other factors like the environment, finance and surface owner's rights. Nobody is giving up oil anytime soon and if I missed where someone said we should give it up, post it up.

I'm missing where someone said Mike was against all oil production. If you are referring to his own post of not comprehending what I typed, I will certainly post it again. I very much was specifically asking him about that specific pipeline, and then if he was against that pipeline or pipelines in general, how should this stuff be transported in his mind. In fact, if you care to read what I posted, clearly I am suggesting that Mike is in fact very much in favor of petroleum products since he does in fact use them quite often.

See below......

Maybe I should have put more emotion into my questions, or maybe some hate speech or something but I honestly thought that it was a pretty fair question for someone that obviously feels that either this particular pipeline or all pipelines are not a good thing. Am I wrong in asking that question?

I assure you, the existence of kids or grandkids would come as a shocking surprise at this point in my life, especially if they had turned out as hippies. Besides, I live in the West Texas oil patch, so people ask me that very question already. My answer is simple and direct; human life would be much worse without oil and oil-based products. What you see as ugly, I see as a golden age.

If in fact I had kids or grandkids I would simply point to their latest iDevice and ask if they liked that device better with a full battery and powered up or a dead battery and not powered up? The rest of the conversation I will leave out as I'm sure most will know where it would go.:-)

That tact doesn't work on me, also you're not the only person in the conversation. You guys can waste your time on it. I have other things to do.

m

I was just merely asking for clarification, my apologies if that was very uncalled for. Next time I promise to type in a more vague and unclear way as to not waste more of your time. Again, I am very sorry for asking for details of your vague accusatory statement and wasting your time. It will never happen again.

Other than TWTim's utilitarian argument, little of this thread has been particularly logical. While I disagree with Tim's valuation of the natural sciences in making his decision, that discussion is not for this forum.

And that's the Escondida Copper mine, not a lithium mine BTW.

m
Okay I give up. Not because of the pic I posted but I have typed " lithium mine " in Google images thee times and all of the text comes up in some language other than English [emoji15]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Screenshot_20160912-171812_zpszurzcyey.jpg

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

the world produces about 650,000 tons of lithium each year. Lithium exists mostly in the form of concentrated salts. Almost all that lithium—greater than 95 percent of it—is produced through a process of pumping underground brine to the surface and allowing it to evaporate in big pans. It’s separated from the brine using electrolysis. There’s nothing you would think of as mining. No blasting. No trucks driving around carrying loads of crushed rock. No sprays of sulfuric acid. The primary sources of lithium are from the Atacama Desert in Chile, and the Uyuni salt flat in Bolivia. These are two of the deadest places on Earth.

I copied that from a scientific web site who felt the need to debunk that picture. The picture showing the tar sands is also wrong, the sand is dug up from huge strip mining pit.

Last edited:
One of those purported lithium mine pictures sure looks like the copper mine in Arizona.

That is the problem with meme pictures and their captions. They are very unreliable as a source of meaningful information.

Our pipeline was scheduled to be completed by the end of this month. Rain delays are going to push that out into October. I don't have a reliable source of information as to where Mexico is on their pipeline to the power plants that this will feed. I am sure looking forward to cleaner air all over the region when they shut down the coal burners.

One thing I found interesting is the size of that pipe, the atmos line that provides gas to the village creek power plant used to also feed the plant at north lake before it was retired and also provides gas to all of Dallas and it is just a 30 inch line (put in the ground in the 1930's, and is just up the street from my house)

That line down there is a bunch bigger.

Back