• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cuatro Viejos and Hooliah too...

Fireworks began going off.

These were rockets that went up and exploded with a huge boom and echoed for some time inside the bowl formed by surrounding mountains. The whole place shook.
Some of these are essentially mortars that explode high in the air. The report, like a cannon, is somewhat physical and always a shock, no matter how many you've heard before.

El Dia Siete ( that will be…7 )

The LONG Hard Ride

Well, the party finally quieted down around 5 or so that morning. It seemed like someone pulled the plug and it was over just that quick. The sudden silence was deafening. By then any hopes for sleep were fading away with the night sky. There was also the noise of some poor rascal trying to drive up the hill outside our hotel and doing poorly on the wet rocks…but he kept right on trying.

I got up soon as I saw daylight outside my windows and staggered on down the street alone.

P1010431.jpg

I hardly made it a block when I spotted two fellow viejos. We all looked like hammered, hmmm…ah, three chaps who’d done a first rate job welcoming the new year. :brainsnap

Before long, we were joined by Viejo number four. He looked no better.

Picture this: The streets are wet rocks. We know they’re all actually tilted at 20-30 degree angles and we’re pretty sure they’re moving as we navigated toward finding a warm place to sit down…with lots of coffee. Can you relate? Oh yeah… :help:

Some older lady popped out from the doorway of a nearby small café and spotted us. I guess she had to decide whether to invite us in or just shoot us right there and put us out of our misery. Gratefully, we went in. Hot coffee and warm tortillas can work wonders for a man’s soul. :-|

A Time to Ride!

We had to decide if it was best to go back out through the tunnel or take our chances on a back door exit down the mountain road. Could be muddy and slippery…going down that road.

But, the thought of riding in a small rock tunnel with noisy motorcycles had somehow lost all its appeal for us that morning. Go figure… :shrug:

The mountain road is a great ride and just sandy enough that sticky mud was no problem at all. It goes by some of the old mining ruins.

P1010434.jpg

Before long we hit the highway on the backside of the mountains and it was time to bundle up and whack the throttle.

P1010439.jpg

Throughout this adventure we had neither itinerary nor any schedule to follow. The whole trip was truly flown by seat of the pants. We had bikes, bags, gas, GPS…and FREEDOM. We could chase the wind, the horizon or the setting sun - didn’t matter which. If there was good adventure along the way then that was the best way to ride.

I should add that this was only possible because three of the four viejos know the area so well that choosing the best day’s ride was the hardest part. They invariably chose well. :thumb:

All of us could have called the office, told them we’d be back in another week or so and just kept right on going. No kidding…this would have actually happened. But the weakest link thing had to bite. And, in this case, that was me.

It was time to head north.

We rode through the mountains and some of the twistiest pavement I’ve seen. Beautiful country and a wild ride that just kept on going.

True to our familiar traditions though, reason and moderation were dispensed with.

Once out of the mountains a burn for the border began. There was concern for running the straightest line back to Reynosa. Some bad things were happening along that route that we needed no part of. But, it would be the middle of the afternoon when we got there and we wouldn’t slow down nor even look back.

It was long dang ride and the marker on the GPS seemed to move slower than ever before.

P1010440.jpg

Just about the time that shadows were growing long and we were very much in the fronteria zone, Meeltone’s bike started acting up again. Popping, slowing down and cutting out…he headed for the side of the road. This was not the place to be for this kind of stuff. A person’s mind goes into overdrive in these times and contingencies start stacking up pretty quick.

Ahead of me, he wobbled almost to a stop while fiddling with his carb and directly the bike popped, coughed and blasted forward like it was running on nitrous oxide. :pray:

P1010438.jpg

As evening became night we were riding in much heavier traffic.

Meeltone and StingRay had not one tail light between them on their bikes. I could hardly see them in front of me until danger close. We worked out a system for dealing with it and rode on.

Finally! We saw the lights of Reynosa. :dude:

Now things got really interesting…

We hit the old bridge and found it empty. Great!

While stopping to clear the bikes through the guy at Vehiculos Permites, I had a chance to visit with Reynaldo the border guard…for a long, long time.

So what happens if Meeltone really can’t find his passport?

“They tell heem…Go Baaack. Ha! Go baaack and be a MEXICAN!”

And that, friends, is how this story began...and as it ends…

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Mark Twain

See you out on the trail...
./ rg

Only one more pic, the parking lot on the Mexican side at the border.
Milton found his passport,

IMG_3705-XL.jpg

This was an incredible trip, I can't wait to do it again. Thank you RG for the great job on the report, and thanks to the crew for the trip.

:chug:
JT

Most enjoyable. Excellent report, so many wonderful images. Thanks for the effort gents!

To finish up my part of the story.

Here's a pict of JT on one of his favorite roads in Mexico. The road past the original Real de Catorce mine:
IMG_3149-L.jpg

A little footage going down that same road. Here you will see people making their pilgrimage up the hill towards the town of Catorce:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwS8KTfIfk"]Mexico 2012 Leaving Real de Catorce - YouTube[/ame]

Back on the highway, making the mad dash towards the border we came upon a very long line of cars. We weren't sure what was holding up traffic but there are always options in Mexico:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mon6or6RGfs"]Mexico 2012 Lane Splitting at Checkpoint - YouTube[/ame]

I've gotta admit I was a little worried when I saw that the traffic jam was due to a military inspection station. Not because of the military, I've seen that many times. More because we were rolling up on the shoulder of the road but they just waived us on through.

Here's Milton, after searching for a good 30min or so, finally finding his passport.
IMG_3153-L.jpg

This was a trip of a lifetime, a big thanks to my riding buddies for sharing the experience. I think this was the only picture taken with all four of us in it:
PC280287_zps36c8b1fd-L.jpg

I only have one question, "When are we going back"? :rider:

Great report y'all, It's like I was there. Well almost. :clap:

stingray, who was leading in that video from when you first arrived in Catorce? You had to be sightseeing; I know you weren't LOST. :trust:

Stingray, who was leading in that video from when you first arrived in Catorce? You had to be sightseeing; I know you weren't LOST. :trust:

Us lost?? Never..... :mrgreen:

We had two different agenda's. JT was looking for a hotel that he had once stayed at and Milton was looking to spend the night in Julia Roberts Blouse (Blouse is how you say room in Spanish right?) :rofl:

"So El Refugio has always been this mystery spot on the map of the Sierras south of Monterrey.

If there is a way thru El Refugio, I want to be one of the first.

El mapa
Image_PS-edt-X2.jpg

Looking at this map you can see how optimistic we were.

My suggestion is that next time we explore this route from the Aserradero/Miquihuana side. With several days to kill. Plenty of riding."

Meeltone, that hillside where we turned back drops off way too steep to ride - if you take the switchbacks. But, I'd like to take time walking it down to the valley floor. Looking at the topo shows the valley going a long ways toward El Asserrdero. It's possible that once down the hill the trail could be ridden along the creek. If that's true then we can find or make a way to get bikes down that hillside. Could be a little rough but so be it. Just say when. Think I know a couple chaps that'll be interested. :)

Meeltone, that hillside where we turned back drops off way too steep to ride - if you take the switchbacks. But, I'd like to take time walking it down to the valley floor. Looking at the topo shows the valley going a long ways toward El Asserrdero. It's possible that once down the hill the trail could be ridden along the creek. If that's true then we can find or make a way to get bikes down that hillside. Could be a little rough but so be it. Just say when. Think I know a couple chaps that'll be interested. :)

Google Earth, shows the passage from San Pablo up the hill going to Aserradero as the most nebulous. There is a road north out of Aserradero to some fields or clear cuts but this ends on the top of the mountain (Sierra Gloria).

We were pretty ambitious, considering how far we'd come out of Zaragoza with a road, and how far we had to go to Aserradero.

We will figure this thing out. :trust:

That being said, there is an interesting loop marked here with red arrows that seems to be a nice day-trip out of Zaragoza.
What does the ad say? Never quit exploring.
SMO%202012-12%20Day5-XL.jpg

And......
Here's a link to Ejtv's trip to Aserradero.

;-)

This is hilarious! You are one funny dude:rofl:Whoops, I meant to post this after one of RG's commentaries. Oh well, great story guys. I wanna go.

Last edited:
I wanted to get all the way though then let you all know how much I enjoyed the tales of your Mexico exploration.

Wonderful write-up! Reading it is almost like being there with y'all. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Back