• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cycle Gear tire changes

I understand your frustration but I'll bet it should be directed at lawyers. Cos are under intense legal threat these days. And now you have a better option also! :thumb:
And when you say lawyers, you mean the people who screwed up and then hired the lawyers looking for financial gain.

If you buy tires in Texas you will pay a 3 dollar disposal fee , I'm still looking for the state disposal site to give them my tires , I really don't like having to dump them on the state highways .

You will not find a state disposal site as that is not a Texas mandated fee nor does money collected go to the state. Just another hidden add-on to inflate bill like a "shop supplies" charge.

Between that stand and the spoons, no thanks to scratched up wheels. Invest in some rim protectors and add some felt strips to the stand surfaces if you insist on using spoons. Happier customers, unless they don't care how their bikes look.

I now get my tires done at Performance Cycle here in Centennial. They're an apparel and parts store, not a shop. But they sell tires nearly as cheap as online stores, and if you buy your tires from them & bring the wheel in, they'll change it for $25. Yes, definitely a loss-leader. And it works.

Between that stand and the spoons, no thanks to scratched up wheels. Invest in some rim protectors and add some felt strips to the stand surfaces if you insist on using spoons. Happier customers, unless they don't care how their bikes look.
The stand is rubber coated and the rims didn't get scratched, but thanks?

No sweat! Actually there was some sweat, but no problems. This was tire 3 of 4 for the day.

cool video - you didn't have problems, sometimes on stiff tires, i put a little lube on the inside of the tire bead in the area where the last part of the bead slides over the rim.

don't you love people commenting on good videos- - wait - am i one of those commenter types??????

Last edited:
No sweat! Actually there was some sweat, but no problems. This was tire 3 of 4 for the day.

Like you, I found the 3 lever trick saves most of the dismounting difficulties. I work on the ground with the rim on a couple 2x4 scraps so I can hold the tire in the valley of the rim with my knees while I work on the opposite side. A friend mounts tires for guys at a motocross track on a stand like yours and uses padded vice grips to hold the tire down in there. When dismounting the second side , I put a thin tire lever all the way through, then stand the tire up and sit on it. just pull the lever towards me all the way around the wheel until it falls out.

The next time I have a tubeless tire (with a normal axle diameter) I'll post how I use the mojolever with that tire stand.

Every tire is different. Tube, tubliss, tubeless, tiny, fat, etc. I can't say that there is one right way to mount a tire.

The next time I have a tubeless tire (with a normal axle diameter) I'll post how I use the mojolever with that tire stand.

Every tire is different. Tube, tubliss, tubeless, tiny, fat, etc. I can't say that there is one right way to mount a tire.
You are 100% correct there. And while I can mount the heck out of tubeless tires, what is your trick for Tubliss? Every time I put a spoon in to grab just the tire, that little red inner protective cover thing is so close to it, I end up grabbing it too. And before you ask, yes I remove the valve cores from everything so there is no air in anything. The darn thing just seems to have a memory since that position is where it spends most of its life. Any tips?

I haven't had that problem, but the install video does mention to start removal at the rim lock, as if you catch the liner the rim lock stud will sink into the rim.

I also use spoons, not irons. Is that what you are using? The contact point is smaller.

...................I also use spoons, not irons. Is that what you are using? The contact point is smaller.
Interesting - I was under impression those terms were interchangeable - what is difference? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

I've never done a Tubliss equipped wheel, but I've ruined many a tube

I'll take a picture of some of the various tire tools I have acquired when I get home this afternoon.

I now get my tires done at Performance Cycle here in Centennial. They're an apparel and parts store, not a shop. But they sell tires nearly as cheap as online stores, and if you buy your tires from them & bring the wheel in, they'll change it for $25. Yes, definitely a loss-leader. And it works.
I seem to recall you considering hanging it up. Got the bike fixed and changed your mind?

I'm getting asked that a lot lately. Yeah, after my accident in 2021, I eased back into backroad riding the following summer. I'll be honest - I never have come back to my previous level of confidence. So puttering around quiet country roads is my thing these days. It costs next to nothing to license & insure an 11 y/o VStrom, so it's worth keeping it even if I just ride it a couple of thousand miles a summer.

I have multiples of each of these, these are just examples.

Left to right

2 tools for keeping the bead in the drop center, one for spokes and one for mags
Motion pro long irons
Tusk spoons (motion pro are the same minus the rubber coating)
Craftsman irons
Motion Pro short iron, kept in my on-bike tool kit
K and L tire tamer, super useful for getting tube valve stems in place
Tubliss install tool
12mm and 13mm ratchet wrenches
Long and short Schrader tools at the bottom

20230714_171434.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I have a long bar for my small stand. With a cam strap through the mag keeping the tire from spinning on the stand, and the foot of the stand hooked into the bead breaker, I can use the mojolever for removing and mounting tubeless tires.

I like this setup better than the harbor freight stand.

20230714_171912.jpg

Last edited:
I have almost all of those irons and spoons myself. The Motion pro long irons are my favorite.

I have multiples of each of these, these are just examples.

Left to right

2 tools for keeping the bead in the drop center, one for spokes and one for mags
Motion pro long irons
Tusk spoons (motion pro are the same minus the rubber coating)
Craftsman irons
Motion Pro short iron, kept in my on-bike tool kit
K and L tire tamer, super useful for getting tube valve stems in place
Tubliss install tool
12mm and 13mm ratchet wrenches
Long and short Schrader tools at the bottom

20230714_171434.jpg
It is amazing out similar our setups are. Here is the rundown on mine, kind of left'ish to right:

Lots of little rim protectors. I use these on all the non-dirtbike wheels I change.
Ru-Glyde tire paste and "custom" toothbrush
2 Sm Cycle Gear spoons. I haven't used these in 10 years or so.
2 Motion Pro Bead Buddies
Customized end of the Harbor Freight mounting bar
Valve tool shortened to get in everywhere
3 Tusk/Motion Pro Lg Irons
2 Ken Tools Irons/Spoons

IMG_4198.jpg

The tire paste is a game changer over the spray, especially in hot and humid places where the spray just doesn't seem to last before evaporating. And the Ken Tools Irons came to me from a suggestion by @Cagiva 549 probably 10 or more years ago. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like, "these are the best tire irons ever made by mankind and you are a fool if you don't own any." I bought some and he was not wrong. If I am in the shop, those are pretty much the only thing I use if I'm not using the Harbor Freight Machine.

Back