• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gold Wing vs R 1250 GSA

Gold Wing or R 1250 GSA for long street miles

• Total voters
Edit:
Nevermind, I know the answer to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
" BMW is nice but reliability / parts cost / dealer prices are high ."

Higher than Triumph or Honda? Lot of shops carry BMW and Triumph, would think dealer prices comparable, high. Lol

For me, the biggest concern regarding the BMW brand was dealer support. For example, living in Houston, if I decided to ride to Lake Charles to do some gambling and had a breakdown while there, the nearest BMW dealership is back in Houston. The next closest dealership is in Shreveport. Either way its over 100 miles to the nearest dealership.

For me, the biggest concern regarding the BMW brand was dealer support. For example, living in Houston, if I decided to ride to Lake Charles to do some gambling and had a breakdown while there, the nearest BMW dealership is back in Houston. The next closest dealership is in Shreveport. Either way its over 100 miles to the nearest dealership.
No argument there, but I'd probably get mine home anyway. That's where Honda and Harley win.

Last edited:
Of course, there might be a dealer but parts and reliable mechanic may still be wanting. Not to mention everyone us weeks backed up. For me I'll ride the bike that makes me smile and worry about the other when I have too. Most modern bikes will get you back.

" BMW is nice but reliability / parts cost / dealer prices are high ."

Higher than Triumph or Honda? Lot of shops carry BMW and Triumph, would think dealer prices comparable, high. Lol
Higher than both , and the other three Kaw / Suz / Yam . and more GS's have left Iron Butt Rally riders stranded than wings ;) one just this 2021 rally gave up its rear end like typical GS fashion .
I think if one wants to buy the expensive Bren tunner for the GS it will allow you to service / read codes . Was told its $8xx from my friend Willie with his 2019 GS1250 .
Many of my Triumph parts have been lower cost than the big 4 Japanese for equivalent part . I own a 900 GT , and a 1200 XCX

The GS911 by Hexcode is $300 to do everything on the BMW as far as service, reset codes, etc... goes. I ride what makes me smile, carry a credit card and a AAA Premier membership to get me to a place where I can find more help. Have a plan, carry the supplies you need and keep the maintenance up and you shouldn't have any major problems. Worst case I'll fly home and figure out the details later.

It's not an adventure until things don't go as planned.

Not choosing brand A over Brand B for just a little difference in prices. Know nothing about Iron butt rides but I've never seen any brand get towed from one of our rides due to mechanicals.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the frame recall was 01-04. With a 17-20 year old bike I'm not sure it would be worth changing out the frames. Other items would start showing up for replacement. . .Hoses, switches etc. Would depend on how the bike was maintained and loved.
With a 20 year old bike, the weld fatigue issue would have already occurred. So that problem is no longer high on a concern list.

And…………….

24C16880-F4AC-4DE7-9157-3CABDEFCF9E5.jpeg

Congratulations !! I agree with the color too.

Attachments

• IMG_3967.JPG
    IMG_3967.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 88
A BMW with repetitive service issues under warranty is a rarity; something is not right. I sold them so I remember; of course that was pre water cooled back in 2012, so maybe things have changed. Buy an R/1100rt/R1150rt/R1200RT and be happy till you drop. They are the best touring bikes in the world. Gold wings are great for us older overgrown dudes who love pie runs, ride to eats, and hotels and 200 mile freeway slabs in between exits, but just don't want to take the Camry.
I know its a generalization, but I see the BMW crowd enjoying the more twisty roads and camping off the bike, and grumbling when there is a 150 mile freeway section to knock off. I could ride either BMW or Honda scenario quite happily. Someday I will probably sell my RT and grow into a second hand mint goldwing :-) Another 1500 beers ought to get me there. Lets see, that's about a year.

I put 125 K on, between a 2007 (83K) and a 2011 (42K) GSA and they were both awesome bikes. Would still have them except I moved to a 2009 RT for lesser hand vibes, with the taller final gearing, and the slight top heaviness of the GSAs when pushing around the garage. I will say the GSA still feels like a minibike relative to the Tiger 1200's and he ultimate garage slug, an ST 1300 which is otherwise a most exceptional and reliable bike. Well then there is the BMW K1200LT (light truck) so named for a reason, and you should avoid unless under 40 :-)

Back