• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gold Wing vs R 1250 GSA

Gold Wing or R 1250 GSA for long street miles

• Total voters
Congrats. First DCT bike?
Yes, it is my first DCT bike. the biggest adjustment seems to be slow speed maneuvers. You have to use a lot a rear brake to slow you down while you bring the RPMs up enough to keep the transmission engaged. It is buttery smooth though and FAST! I did 543 miles today on my way home from picking up the bike in New Mexico yesterday.

Believe me you don't need 150 hp with the DCT. That thing will fly. The DCT smokes a manual transmission by a ways. Put it in sport mode and hammer it and it will rock!
I ran it up into triple digits in Sport mode on the test ride today. It will get down the road pretty well.

It's no supernaked, but its no slouch either.

@Jarrett thanks for the plot twist. Sold my touring Harley last week, looking forward to thoughts from y’all.
I thought I had a great touring bike with my Street Glide, until I sold it and bought my Super Tenere. I find long, big mile days much easier on the Yamaha, and the ability to go pretty much wherever I want is a huge bonus.

Yes, it is my first DCT bike. the biggest adjustment seems to be slow speed maneuvers.
Congrats. They are fun. With a little mental adjustment, the low speed stuff will be fine.

I was actually surprised at how easy low speed stuff is on this GW. I was doing semi-tight figure 8's in the dealership parking lot after 5 minutes yesterday. It's so well balanced that it doesn't feel like its going to drop in on you. I was wondering if the sales folks were looking out the window like 😨

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. They are fun. With a little mental adjustment, the low speed stuff will be fine.

I was actually surprised at how easy low speed stuff is on this GW. I was doing semi-tight figure 8's in the dealership parking lot after 5 minutes yesterday. It's so well balanced that it doesn't feel like its going to drop in on you. I was wondering the sales folks were looking out the window like 😨

When I test rode a DCT Wing I was doing that sort of stuff in the parking lot 2up... rather easily.

This thread was a bad influence...

242642018_863674024518597_5114839923913920765_n.jpg
That is a beautiful machine! It will be even more beautifuler if it has DCT. Is it the 21 with the bigger trunk?

Well, Jarrett just hijacked your thread and stole your Thunder in only a way Jarrett could LOL

That is a beautiful machine! It will be even more beautifuler if it has DCT. Is it the 21 with the bigger trunk?
Mine is 2018 and DCT. I think Tiger said his was a 21 though.

Wish mine had a bigger trunk, but I would have had to pay another $10k to get one with that. Figured I can throw a bag on it if need be.

Well, Jarrett just hijacked your thread and stole your Thunder in only a way Jarrett could LOL
Just sharing in the DCT GW love :)

It actually reminds me of my old VFR1200X a bit. DCT + Shaft Drive, I guess.

Yes, it is my first DCT bike. the biggest adjustment seems to be slow speed maneuvers. You have to use a lot a rear brake to slow you down while you bring the RPMs up enough to keep the transmission engaged. It is buttery smooth though and FAST! I did 543 miles today on my way home from picking up the bike in New Mexico yesterday.
It is always funny when people poo poo the dct because of slow speed maneuvers.

when I was at Dagroo level 3/4 training a couple of years ago, I was the only guy in the class who did not drop his bike.

with a clutch on a heavy bike, if the bike is leaned over and you kill the motor, that sucker is going down. You will pop your back trying to save a 500+# bike.

with dct, you keep the bike in tension with the rear brake and throttle. If you get in a bind, power out.

It amazes me every time I hear how crappy the dct is in slow speed settings. I will agree it is a new skill to be practiced.

on my other goldwings, with the boxer engine, I would keep the revs high on slow speed. The boxer engine creates a centrifugal balancing effect.

If your doing two up then the Wing. If not the GSA is the ticket. The 2012 GSA would go 350 miles on a tank. The 2016 will do 300 it holds a gallon less fuel. I can ride a lot farther on the GSA’s than the wings because you can stand up for miles on the road. I rode almost 1600 miles in 24 hours on the GSA it will haul there is nothing like it.

Back