• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Transalp 750

I took a nice little 65 mile ride Saturday, following along the Brazos west of Katy, and some was on maintained dirt roads. I am putting break-in miles on the bike so I can change the oil before installing the skid plate.

Latest impressions:
Engine: The engine is smoothing out a bit now at 225 miles and has gobs of power. I passed a truck and ran it up to about 8,500 rpm and it was still pulling hard. I have to be careful because the bike will effortless sail down the road at 80mph before you know it. Again, coming from a modified DR650, the TA has MUCH more power. I re-installed the spark arrestor because the bike has gotten louder over the last hundred miles or so. With the arrestor installed, it sounds pretty good now and is not 'quiet'.

Suspension: I have the rear preload on 2nd from soft and determined I need to "stiffen" it up a couple of notches. I am probably about 230lbs with gear. Overall, for all the conditions I have ridden, I am pretty happy with the ride.

I modify the crap out of all my bikes, but the TA is so great, I don't see the need. Other than the engine and crash bars, hand guards and skid plate that hopefully will arrive in a couple more weeks, I don't plan on doing much more. I do want to run a 12V supply for my phone and camera at some point and maybe add some bars for my soft saddlebags. They have nothing to attach to.

TA1.jpg

TA2.jpg

I'm enjoying hearing about your continued experiences, @Mr. Clortho . I've heard YouTubers also say that the TA has loads of power. I can see that especially being useful at higher elevations. I've recently re-experienced the lethargy that high elevations can induce in ICEs.

I'm enjoying hearing about your continued experiences, @Mr. Clortho . I've heard YouTubers also say that the TA has loads of power. I can see that especially being useful at higher elevations. I've recently re-experienced the lethargy that high elevations can induce in ICEs.

I appreciate that. Seeing your signature and the CRF's reminded me that I too rode a CRF250L (both the standard and rally versions) some years back and a CB500X. The TA feels like an upgraded and taller version of the 500X in many ways. I really liked the 500X and not sure why I sold it, or I would still have it today. If you like your 500X, you would absolutely love the TA.

If you like your 500X, you would absolutely love the TA.

Funny you mention that. I did like the 500X a lot, though it wasn't a "oh boy, I can't wait to ride again" kinda feeling. I sold it last April because I needed the money. The TA is on the radar though the budget is screaming at me, "Nope, buddy. Not yet." My current loose plan is to find someone in early 2026 to sell me their garage queen TA. 😋

And that reminds me I need to update my signature.

Yesterday afternoon I played hookie a bit from work and took a long (100 mile) lunch ride. I am trying to put the 600 miles for the initial oil change before installing the box off goodies that I hope arrives Saturday. I have been patiently waiting for Hepco & Becker skid plate, engine and tank guards, side protection plates and hand guards. I also have a 1" lowering dog bone and will be running a 12V cable for accessory power. I am at the tip of my tiptoes on this bike and had a couple of close calls (short people problems) but like the seat to peg geometry so elected not to go with the lower seat for now. I don't plan on gnarly trails with this bike so not overly concerned with loosing 1" of suspension travel.

I can feel the engine power flatten out after 8,500 rpm a bit and reading up this is where the US version is robbing power. The bike has plenty of power, but I can feel the HP curve flatten out, so there almost seems no point to run it higher than 8,500 rpm despite the 10k redline.

transalp8.jpg

I can feel the engine power flatten out after 8,500 rpm a bit and reading up this is where the US version is robbing power.
Interesting - the bike is ECU limited for US regulations, I guess? Any magical re-flash or re-mapping options yet to get around that? Think it would be worth it, or is the power at 8500 "enough" ?

I'd it flat after 8500 or does it fall off? You generally want to go until it falls off if you're going for best acceleration. I know that's not really a practical use case, but suffering to think about. My Africa Twin peaks at 7500, but doesn't drop off much before redline at 8000, for example.

1" lowering dog
couple of close calls (short people problems)
💪 Makes not a dam bit of difference, you do you, whatever it takes to safely control this unit. You as a rider have the ultimate personal responsibility. (I know you know this).

Just a rant on irresponsible riders.

Last edited:
Last week was a good one, with some time off work that allowed me to complete the breakin miles on the TA and install all the goodies except for the lowering link. I finally did a 1-3rd full throttle run and was darn happy. I ran it up to about 9,500 in 1st, shifted to 2nd with the quick shifter and it carried the front wheel for a bit. The engine has smoothed out and seems to have picked up a little more power in the upper RPM range.

I plan on posting a more detailed install of the farkels soon with pics.

transalp12.jpg

transalp10.jpg

Summary of mods:

Windshield – WRS Touring: It is about 2” taller and wider than stock and only about $100. It fit perfectly and seems to be of good quality. Overall, it was a noticeable improvement for wind protection over stock, and I would recommend it.

Phone Power chord: The bike already has an accessory USB-C plug. I picked up a HD shielded iPhone cable and routed it through the bike.

Quadlock Phone Mount: I used one of these before with the vibration dampener. This time, I ordered the “premium” version and it is noticeably better made.

Hepco & Becker Kit

Hand Guards – They fit perfectly and are very high quality. There is no wind guard, so I will be looking into that later. Interesting thing is they tie the end of the handlebar all the way back to the mount and it cut significant vibration out of the grips. I love them.

Tank Guard crash bars – Very good quality, fit perfectly.

Engine Guard crash bars – Again, very good quality and fit perfectly. The tie into a thick frame bracket and connect to the upper bars as well.

Engine Guards – I wish I had installed these before putting the bars on because they were a bit tricky after, but still fit great. They are nice, but not sure how much benefit they really provide beyond the crash bars.

Skid Plate – This thing is massive, and it has to be because the belly of this bike has all kinds of places that could be damaged easily. The plate is strong and will definitely do the job. The skid plate connects to the crash bars and the frame and was not the easiest to install. This is partly my fault because I mounted the brackets on the outside of the frame the first time instead of the inside and hand to move them. Once I got that sorted, it went on perfectly but the front mount could have been designed better. It bolts to the crash bars on each side and is not solidly fixed, so you have to mock up the plate and get a something to reach from behind to adjust its position to line up. I got lucky and hit it the 3rd try. The downside is it will have to be removed to change the oil. The good thing is I only have to do this every 8k miles or so. Another issue that is both good and bad is the skidplate all but rests on the exhaust heat shield. This is good in that it maximizes ground clearance. The drawback is it got hot enough to cook off the pant and smoked pretty bad as it was doing so for about half an hour.

transalp14.jpg

I heard about this guy that rode a Transalp one time...yeah...and this guy was able to easily hit 115 mph...and I also heard the bike was still smooth and stable and he felt like 130 mph was achievable...or so I heard...

I heard about this guy that rode a Transalp one time...yeah...and this guy was able to easily hit 115 mph...and I also heard the bike was still smooth and stable and he felt like 130 mph was achievable...or so I heard...
My vstrom 650 made indicated 115 (on a closed course , of course) but it didn't want any more, neither did the rider. And that's (speedo) indicated so in reality it was 110. I'm sure that Honda Hornet engine had plenty on tap. It's like 95hp, right?

I'm sure you know this guy very well😉, maybe even your twin.

My vstrom 650 made indicated 115 (on a closed course , of course) but it didn't want any more, neither did the rider. And that's (speedo) indicated so in reality it was 110. I'm sure that Honda Hornet engine had plenty on tap. It's like 95hp, right?

I'm sure you know this guy very well😉, maybe even your twin.

The US version is slightly de-tuned to low 80hp range but it doesn't feel like it. It will stand up on throttle only with the 1-2 quick shift...at least that is what this guy told me. ;-)

Love how you tubers have to head off the commit sections first thing in the videos. 😃

They also have the option of disabling comments, but the vast majority don't.
I think the more commits, the more pay. Some seem downright defensive but who cares, as long as the check is in the mail.
I always try to keep this, but yes, sometimes its not easy. Greetings Ian
rhinos-skin-the-bullying-bull-rhino.gif

Multiple, incurable auto-immune diseases are leading to an early retirement for my wife, and that means steep budget cuts as we learn how to live on a single income. One of the casualties looks to be my Transalp. I sold my XR but hanging on to my kitted DR650. I don't have a lot of time to do this so if anyone is interested in the bike, message me. I would let it go for close to what I owe on it, which would be about MSRP minus the dealer fees. The modifications will be my loss. That is about $2k worth of savings for some lucky TWT to pick up a practically new, already kitted Transalp. We would have to do the bank to bank transaction thing, as the bank holds the title obviously.

Mileage is about 560
Full H&B kit (upper guards, lower guards, skid plate, engine guards, handlebar guards)
Handlebar risers with pull back
Extended windshield
Fresh oil and filter change

transalp14.jpg

transalp15.jpg

Back