• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda Transalp 750

First, props to the spy photos back on p. 2. Appears to be from the time Honda was making their video - same rider, gear and backdrop from portions of the video it seems. Second, kudos to Honda for bringing something to compete with the T7 - not a direct shot at it, but likely to woo some T7 buyers away. Perhaps a different intended mission and more on-road oriented (maybe?) but I suspect the target buyers aren't really tackling severe stuff. Honda managed more HP, more torque and, it seems, only 10 lbs heavier. It'll likely be better than the T7 on-road & touring and give up some once roads get beyond fire-roads or 2 track. I suspect the real separator will be price - we'll see where Honda prices the Transalp but I'd bet it's above the T7 by a good bit.

The bike is already on the European Honda sites:

No pricing yet though.

New models are nice to see. But around here, Honda can't even stock their dealerships with their existing models. Buyers, including myself are having to drive hundreds of miles to purchase models that should be in stock.

Kinda pointless. . .

This is definitely a good thing overall. If nothing else, it might make the T7 more obtainable without a huge markup as some buyers will go for the Honda.
The Honda will be a solid platform and likely supported for many years. The aftermarket will come along and fix the suspension and it will likely end up being a bike that has KLR reliability and much better performance.

I do love my KTM's....but I'm definitely considering the Honda to replace my 790R as I now have 20K miles on it and I'm a bit worried about it having issues the next 20K. It would be nice to have 90% of the performance and 5X the reliability and that's likely what you'll end up with the Honda.

90% may be a stretch on the dirt side, lol.
Agreed if we're talking stock. Thinking it could get there after suspension re-work.

I'm fat and re-work all my suspension anyway, guess I'm just used to buying a bike and then spending money to fix suspension.

Agreed if we're talking stock. Thinking it could get there after suspension re-work.

I'm fat and re-work all my suspension anyway, guess I'm just used to buying a bike and then spending money to fix suspension.
I'm sure that would bring it closer! What about ground clearance? With a mandatory skid plate it's low.

The pic I saw showed the CAT under the motor, so a good skid plate will be required!
1667965893825.png

This bike proves popular enough, I am sure Black Dog will produce a skid plate for it.
Black Dog and bunch of others. With no frame rails under the engine making a skid plate that is stout for rugged off blacktop riding (not just easy dirt roads) will be both heavy and further reduce ground clearance as well. I experienced this exact scenario on my Super Tenere.

Those looking for a harder edged bikes for more aggressive dirt work would be better off looking at the 890, T7 or maybe Tuareg. As an everyday easy to live bike with Honda reliability the Transalp should be a home run.

Last edited:
" they have different versions of the bike. This one I believe is the commuter or something along those lines. There's an adventure and rally that will have skid plates, crash bars, hand guards etc."
Is this true?

" they have different versions of the bike. This one I believe is the commuter or something along those lines. There's an adventure and rally that will have skid plates, crash bars, hand guards etc."
Is this true?
I believe those are OEM "accessory packs"

@Simmons1 all those bikes mentioned are the same as the Africa Twin. The engine is a stressed member on nearly all motorcycles today. Well a KLR has a cradle style frame.

@Simmons1 all those bikes mentioned are the same as the Africa Twin. The engine is a stressed member on nearly all motorcycles today. Well a KLR has a cradle style frame.
My bad, the engines are all stressed members.

That said, the T7 comes from the factory with bolt on lower frame rails with skid plate mounts on them so little if any ground clearance is lost putting on a beefy skid plate.

Man, I've been looking at the AT and it's got a mean nastly look to it. But this bike looks typical Honda, boring. Hopefully it's more fun to ride than it looks but if you parked this next to a T7, the Yamaha definitely would get the attention. I'm disappointed in the aesthetics, let's see if the performance is there.

Image result for 2012 honda transalp
Image result for 2012 honda transalp

2023 ⤵️
421165_23YM_XL750_Transalp-900x600.jpg

lets not say what it is, because it aint a hardcore off road bike which some want to believe. never was meant to be. above pics from 2012. just a usual adv bike (that us never saw as far i know).

the nice 90hp engine and decent weight are some of its best traits in the 2023. appeals to the widest segment of comfort and capability, honda is usually smart like that.

should be a good'n if unless we have to travel to the swiss alps to experience it.

Last edited:
That naked exhaust under there also looks very susceptible to damage. Protecting that with a bash plate would be required, and from the looks of it, it'll need to be dern big, heavy, and then reduce ground clearance.

Or, just keep it on gravel roads and know you'll never endanger those headers... that's probably where it'll be the most comfortable anyway..

I think it's a cool looking bike, but I also think Honda kinda played it safe with it. It doesn't look like it'll blow the competition out of the water.

Back