• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

The stock tank cap is already ventilated. If you have the stock tank, I don’t think there is an aftermarket cap. The aftermarket tanks have a screw on cap and I can tell you the thread pitch is different between IMS and Clarke.

Signing-in!

Picked up my 1st. BRP mid December, got a couple of good rides in before coming down with COVID on the 30th.

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

Looking to add larger tank, Seat Concepts kit, and need to find a rack to mount my Mosko Backcountry bags on it.

Congratulations on the bike. :rider:

Condolences on the Covid. :twitch:

Signing-in!

Picked up my 1st. BRP mid December, got a couple of good rides in before coming down with COVID on the 30th.

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

Looking to add larger tank, Seat Concepts kit, and need to find a rack to mount my Mosko Backcountry bags on it.
Nice bike... where are you riding in the first pic? looks like my kind of riding...

Rode out to the beach today. Fun time on the XR!
b3f6a36eb30c62ad58470decb8c43c05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Dam that thing looks good. Now I REALLY regret letting it go.
But, it’s good to see it being put to good use!!! Keep the pics coming. I’m living vicariously thru you! Have you had it out in the snow?

Dam that thing looks good. Now I REALLY regret letting it go.
But, it’s good to see it being put to good use!!! Keep the pics coming. I’m living vicariously thru you! Have you had it out in the snow?
Thanks Dave. I really like it. It's probably getting as much as or more use than the big KTM. I'm hauling it to Big Bend next month for the rally. Should be a lot of fun.

We haven't had snow here just lots of ice Sunday night into Monday. It was bad. Both bikes stayed in the garage. Other than driving home from work Sunday night, I stayed off the road altogether.

You don’t know what you’re missing Cory!
Eight inches of fine snow that packed down real firm, almost like wet sand, actually pretty good traction for the first few days, then it melted a bit and refrozen so mostly icy now. I had the pleasure of driving from Benbrook to Parkland hospital in Dallas on Tuesday thru this stuff, you saw my van - it had no problem digging thru it all. I probably would have preferred staying home but it was for my second Covid shot and I didn’t want to miss it. Not something I would try on a bike now! Rode thru a lot of snow on MX bikes when I was a kid, it was fun as long as the knobbies were newish.
I’m planning to ride the Triumph Wednesday on Mary’s slacker ride. It’s been loads of fun! That has to be the best swap I was ever a part of!!!

You don’t know what you’re missing Cory!
Eight inches of fine snow that packed down real firm, almost like wet sand, actually pretty good traction for the first few days, then it melted a bit and refrozen so mostly icy now. I had the pleasure of driving from Benbrook to Parkland hospital in Dallas on Tuesday thru this stuff, you saw my van - it had no problem digging thru it all. I probably would have preferred staying home but it was for my second Covid shot and I didn’t want to miss it. Not something I would try on a bike now! Rode thru a lot of snow on MX bikes when I was a kid, it was fun as long as the knobbies were newish.
I’m planning to ride the Triumph Wednesday on Mary’s slacker ride. It’s been loads of fun! That has to be the best swap I was ever a part of!!!
I think the trade worked out pretty well both ways.

Glad to hear the Triumph is getting used. It just made for nice garage art after I got the KTM and didn't get the miles it deserved.

Hey everyone!
New to the forum and fairly new to street legal bikes in general. I bought this '96 off of a good friend last year in a non running state. I gave up trying to remove the rust & sludge from the stock tank and used it as an excuse to get the larger tank. Still have that tank if anybody want to give it a shot.
Rebuilt the carb/calipers/headlight assembly and I was good to go.
My only remaining issue is I can be going down the road at any speed and every once in a while it will decide to cut off. Complete flame out. Momentum of turning rear wheel won't restart it. Pull in the clutch and tap the start button and it immediately springs to life. Release the clutch and keep on going. I changed out the module by the battery (ECT?) and I'm hoping that's it.
If anybody knows what's going on, I'd appreciate a clue.

I live in Leander, TX if anybody's close and like backroad BBQ runs.

xr650l.jpg

That era of Honda was known for failing solder joins in the CDI (cold solder). Also, if your negative battery cable is loose a similar problem can occur.

It has a side stand that I am pretty sure works properly. it doesn't 'trigger' until you get the stand pretty far down. Also, the flameouts were on smooth pavement, but if something's broken I guess it could happen anytime. I do have a clutch switch too, I can hear it clicking as I pull in the clutch and I'm pretty sure it's wires are connected somewhere, but not sure what function that does in the bike.
Before I discovered this forum, I'd already bent over and purchased a new CDI (Thanks, Jeff) from partzilla and been waiting on it to fail. So far so good.
If it does fail again, I agree I need to look at the stand and possibly the clutch switch. I'll have to figure out if I leave them open or short across the terminals.
Why is there a clutch switch? I'm pretty sure it turns over even if I'm not holding it in. Maybe the previous owner disconnected it and it's non functional.

That era of Honda was known for failing solder joins in the CDI (cold solder). Also, if your negative battery cable is loose a similar problem can occur.
I'll check that too. I know it's good at the battery, but never traced it from there into the guts of the bike.

After replacing, I haven't had a flameout since and it's been a few hundred miles over a few sessions.
I probably just jinxed things, but I'm still going to declare it fixed.

I carry a spare just in case.

Also, I tried doing the fix to the CDI I saw on TT and you better have a quality solder iron and a ton of patience if you want to attempt it.

Back