• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run I: Pondering Pie Ride Report

Ha! Ham and I were there first and with the Short distance award Im sure. As a matter of fact we were there so early that they werent even open (10am). We ended up having a quick breakfast at the little cafe at the end of the street. It was quite good and reasonable too. It was here that we met Ralph a recent retiree with lots of time on his hands and a bike built for miles. He is new to this forum thing so if anybody is looking to go places, look him up. Seems he rides a lot locally (Dallas) but hasnt caught the road trip bug........yet.

Ham and I struggled mightily to get to Ponder. Heck, the Gps had us at 13.8miles. We were exhausted ...j/k. This was a last miniute deal for me as I had not been feeling well all week. I felt better Friday night and I tried drum up some interest in a dual sport loop but not realizing that eveybody did their riding/crashing (sorry fellow REXR) on the way to Ponder left us with no takers. You know I almost rode my zrx1100 and glad I didnt as the jinx is still there. There were some nice Rexs that made it though.

Anyway, after our breakfast, we mosied on over(25yrds)to park ourselves amongst the TWT. I was on my drz400 and feeling kinda small until I pulled up to the Sherpa. I recognized it from the forums and struck up a conversation with the famous rider of said bike. I saw a MOAB sticker on her bike and we both gushed about SE Utah and the riding there. Ham hooked up with Curtis as he had helped him on a klr650 techday. I also met Shrek and a few others. I roamed a bit checking out everybodys scoots.

Since Ham and I had done more eating than riding, we were feeling the itch to roam the countryside that was now lit up bright and clear. It even felt warmer too. Off we went heading directly north for dirt road fun. We roamed north on some of my faves and then headed west. We ran through the LBJ grass lands and the roads that it has to offer before making our way east and back home. 159 miles with 80% gravel is always a good ride. We finished the day with a BTMD. That is Big Time Mexican Dinner there in Lake Dallas.

Well I pulled in to Ponder just a couple of minutes after 11:00, got to park smack in the middle of the bunch. After several more bikes pulled in I snapped this shot, you can see by the sky just how dreary the late morning still was.

Picture001-1.jpg

The crowd was friendly and loud, with the noise only muffling as food was served.

Picture003.jpg

I did remember to get a shot of my buttermilk pie, and the ice cream and coffee to go with it!

Picture004.jpg

The Ducs were gorgeous, and not quite identical.

Picture007.jpg

After the frigid ride in, the blue skies, warm sunshine, and dry air and roads were so very welcome. We stopped in to see Curtis and his new bio-diesel car he put together. Hearing his plans for a diesel motorcycle makes me wish I had the right spare parts lying around to donate to the project, can't wait to see it come together.

Picture006.jpg

248539838-L.jpg

The gang in front of the Ranchman: Vern, Rob, Staci, Jackie, Jamie and Pete

It was a little cold when we started out. The fog was thick and we had to continue to wipe our face shields off. We met Rob, Pete and Jackie at the Racetrac. We went over had a huge breakfast and then headed to Ponder. The gang was all there. Looked like a great crowd. Some made it from as far as Oklahoma City and Houston.

The cobbler was great and the conversation even better. It is great seeing our motorcycle friends again. We road over to 455 when we left and just took a nice afternoon ride home. It was a good Saturday. You can see all of the pictures here: Ponder Pictures.

248538942-L.jpg

Plenty of bikes to talk about.

248540012-L.jpg

I am terrible with names.

248540185-L.jpg

mmmmmmm Cobbler..

248540371-L.jpg

Ken all the way from Oklahoma...

248540752-L.jpg

Pete was actually there riding.. We miss him .. ST probably did not want to start for such a long ride haha!

Kelly, I hope you're not feeling too banged up after the spill. I tell you what, that Wayne guy is a bad influence on all of us!!!

I wish I could have been there, but the Dual Sport ride was scheduled long before we changed the Jan Pie run to Ponder. I love their burgers, and now I'm going to have to go up there on Sat to have one!

I was shocked by the number of bikes I saw when I arrived. I got there at least an hour late because I left home late. Sun came out just as I arrived. 599 miles total according to GPS for the day. Stopped off at Moto-Liberty and bought some new Olympia pants. I am paying the price for that wet/chilly ride, woke up Sunday with 102 fever, been home ever since. I am looking forward to the rest of the pie runs....wherever they may be.

I slept for a few hours then rode locally for a couple of hours. It was sunny and warm. :trust:

I too didn't make the pie run. Erik had to work Friday night so I waited for it to warm up Saturday before heading out to Wallis. When I left around 11:30 it was still 43 degrees but the new electric gloves did the trick.

Kelly ..... glad to hear that you are okay.

RB, what route did you take to Ponder?

Back