• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reader's Digest condensed version.

IMG_20230521_152149757.jpg

My music provider for the night.

Where do you plan to do the tires? We might need to do the same on our trip this fall depending on the length of the final route.

I've tried dealers, independent shops, mail order when I'm near a relatives house, and Cycle Gear. The latter is my go to favorite right now. They usually will not remove from the bike, so it gives me a chance to spend two nights in a row in a motel and do them myself. My cheap self tells me not to spend two nights in a row, but saving labor justifies it. Last year, the difference between mail order and independent shop was $365.00/$808.00 as best I remember. Right now, I have tires at CG in Meridian, Idaho and I'm spending 3 or 4 days in Teton/Yellowstone before heading over.

That's Jenny Lake just down the road from Jackson Lake in Teton NP. Good eye. It was taken at the same place I took a picture of my wife a few years ago.

Just a lucky guess. There are not too many places in the country where the mountains rise up so abruptly. I really am enjoying your report. Thanks for taking us along.

Thanks. I'll do a full version when I get home and can use a keyboard and pictures from my camera. This is mainly to get insight from fellow inmates. Several have already made suggestions on what to see and what roads may be closed. One suggested that 14A might be closed. I ignored him because a local told me it was open. I will now pay more attention to TWT members. Any suggestions for unusual places to see in my general area are welcome, as well as pictures.

The campground host in Teddy Roosevelt NP told me the smoke was from grass fires in N Dakota, but it's from fires in Canada.
What did you think of TR NP? I am going up there in August during the Sturgis rally.

I wasn't very impressed, but then again, I'm not very impressed by Big Bend either. I knew this in advance, but I also wanted to spend a month south of the border before going to Canada and, I was close. I didn't talk to anyone else that shared my feelings. Also, take into account that I spent lots of my youth growing up in New Mexico.

Last edited:
I wasn't very impressed, but then again, I'm not very impressed by Big Bend either. I knew this in advance, but I also wanted to spend a month south of the border before going to Canada and I was close. I didn't talk to anyone else that shared my feelings. Also, take into account that I spent lots of my youth growing up in New Mexico.
"Not impressed with Big Bend"??? Where you from?...New York city?:shock:

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I still go there quite often, and I do have fun, but it's like looking out the window of my childhood home.

I wasn't very impressed, but then again, I'm not very impressed by Big Bend either. I knew this in advance, but I also wanted to spend a month south of the border before going to Canada and, I was close. I didn't talk to anyone else that shared my feelings. Also, take into account that I spent lots of my youth growing up in New Mexico.
I feel the same way about Big Bend

Not trying to derail the original ride report, but I'm not the one who brought up Big Bend. Are those who are not impressed with BB also do the dirt motorcycle thing in the "whole" Big Bend area?...BGWMA, BBNP, BBRSP, Terlingua Ranch roads, etc.? I mean I like southern Utah best of all, but the whole experience of the BB area, and I mean the "whole area", is pretty hard to beat.

Not trying to derail the original ride report, but I'm not the one who brought up Big Bend. Are those who are not impressed with BB also do the dirt motorcycle thing in the "whole" Big Bend area?...BGWMA, BBNP, BBRSP, Terlingua Ranch roads, etc.? I mean I like southern Utah best of all, but the whole experience of the BB area, and I mean the "whole area", is pretty hard to beat.
You ride for a different reason than I do. You sound like you ride BB for the challenging roads. My primary reason for street and dual sport riding is to see things. I ride bikes instead of driving because they are more fun and can take me places my van doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge. That's why my last race with CMRA was when I was 69 years old. I've ridden most of the dirt roads in BBNP without being really impressed with scenery. I rode the River Road without taking my camera from the bag. Some of the side roads to the river brought the camera out. It has nothing to do with big bend. If your dad had been a shrimper, would you take pictures of multiple shrimp boats tied up at a dock? I have no desire to ever ride the River Road again unless I'm riding with someone who appreciates the beauty of the high desert. On the other hand, I'd ride the road to the Basin or the road to Presidio all day long. Also, there's lots of beauty on some of the hiking trails.

Also, I love southern Utah, both off and on road. While Utah is a desert, it's way different than the land around my New Mexico homes in Carlsbad, Albuquerque, Grants and others. It's the sights that thrill me. The MC riding is just a bonus.

Last edited:
You ride for a different reason than I do. You sound like you ride BB for the challenging roads. My primary reason for street and dual sport riding is to see things. I ride bikes instead of driving because they are more fun and can take me places my van doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge. That's why my last race with CMRA was when I was 69 years old. I've ridden most of the dirt roads in BBNP without being really impressed with scenery. I rode the River Road without taking my camera from the bag. Some of the side roads to the river brought the camera out. It has nothing to do with big bend. If your dad had been a shrimper, would you take pictures of multiple shrimp boats tied up at a dock? I have no desire to ever ride the River Road again unless I'm riding with someone who appreciates the beauty of the high desert. On the other hand, I'd ride the road to the Basin or the road to Presidio all day long. Also, there's lots of beauty on some of the hiking trails.
Understandable. People are different, preferences are different. Besides...if everyone loved the BB area, it would be too crowded to enjoy...oh...wait a minute. :lol2:

I get it. Two years ago we took my wife's family to Florida for Christmas. They were dying to go to the beach so we went to Clearwater. They had a blast and the beach was absolutely packed with folks in awe of the beach and having a good time. All except me, the guy who grew up in Tampa and hates the beaches. I'd like to see Big Bend though, because I didn't grow up there.

20211227-164709949-M.jpg

Also, I love southern Utah, both off and on road. While Utah is a desert, it's way different than the land around my New Mexico homes in Carlsbad, Albuquerque, Grants and others. It's the sights that thrill me. The MC riding is just a bonus.
"It's the sights that thrill me. The MC riding is just a bonus." I can relate to that! If your going to be in Idaho between June 12-16 let me know and we can hang out at a campsite, a meal, and a fire.

"It's the sights that thrill me. The MC riding is just a bonus." I can relate to that! If your going to be in Idaho between June 12-16 let me know and we can hang out at a campsite, a meal, and a fire.
Maybe, that would be great. In the next couple of days I'm going to Meridian for tires and then do a quick loop into Canada before calling my wife to join me. She'll have to put in for vacation and then get approved. Let me know when you get here. Timing may work out.

Back