• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Talk to me about the R1200GSA

Reaction score
I've been having very bad thoughts about this bike (like checking my credit store kind of thoughts :eek2: ).

Anyone here have one they'd be willing to let me take a spin on?

I've never owned a bike of this nature, but I gotta say, I find it REALLY appealing as I'm a big fan of back country stuff, camping and frankly, being ready for most anything.

Any and all feedback is weclome. :rider:

Thanks!

Lone Star BMW will let you test ride the one you are going to buy.

I have a meeting i a couple of minutes... but when I get back I can tell you lots and lots about a r1200gsa, most of it good too! :rider:

I have a meeting i a couple of minutes... but when I get back I can tell you lots and lots about a r1200gsa, most of it good too! :rider:

Oh I can't wait for the one story in particular that I love hearing.....:trust:

Well, I remember two stories. One was Duke, and the other was posted on ADV rider. Both involve fires, Duke's was a 1200 and I believe the true "bon-fire" incident was an 1150. But still, for the money I'd like to believe my bike wouldn't ignite on it's own accord.

Well, I will check this when I get up, should be a fascinating read. :)

Off to bed with me (just got home from work! stupid night shift ><).

Now that 2 bikes are now infamous for catching fire, internet legend will lead you to believe that the following fire was a direct result of BMW's final drive failure from a rider passing through Montana:

Montana%20fire%20(1).jpg

And BMW didnt even cover the part under warranty.

Don't think we are BMW bashers claiming all final drives will catch fire. Most just crater without combusting.

Is bragging about not having a final drive failure sort of like bragging about never having dropped a bike? In that case I can't comment on this thread at all. No jinxing of the final drive allowed? ;-)

Ahh, ****. Well, off to band practice (we're recording, woohoo!).

I will definitely read this up when I get to work tonight. Looks like a great write-up just quickly glancing at it.

Alright... First an most importanly... My 2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure is my "MOST" bike. You know what a "MOST" bike is right? Let me explain.

This bike has given me or, I have had to buy or, just plainly is the MOST:

- Smiles
- Tears
- Goosebumps
- Memories
- Headaches
- Speeding Tickets
- Miles Traveled (in one year)
- Comfortable
- Times left on the side of the road: 2 (Previous record: 0 in 20 + years of riding)
- Centerstand bolts
- Headlights
- Tires (its a good thing, direct result of mileage!)
- Looks
- Questions
- Disappointments
- Excitement

That about covers my most list, but for the most important reasons we ride bikes....

THE MOST FUN!

It has broken down on me twice in 29,000 miles and come tomorrow (4/8/2008) it will be 2 years old. In fact it is in the shop now getting the most recent break down repaired.

It has carried me from Mexico to Canada twice, I have ridden it to Colorado 3 times as well. Last september I did a Iron Butt SS1000 on it riding from Visalia, CA to Spokane, WA. I have ridden all of these miles on the stock seat supplemented with the use of an air hawk pad sometimes.

My flaming final drive happened after I had owned the bike for 5 months but in that time I had already put 11,000+ miles on it. This time I think I lost the seals around the drive shaft, but it is still getting worked on, when they know they will let me know.

I have friends on the west coast that have gone years on thier 1200 GS and thousands of miles without issue. If you spend anytime on ADVRider (GSpot) you will swear that EVERY GS is getting ready to explode a final drive or leave you stranded with Security ring failure. It sucks for sure when you are left stranded, but remember, most of the posts over there are written trying to diagnose a problem, and it cascades to being assumed that every BMW GS has the same problem.

I am fortunate to have access to my other second favorite bike which is a Honda GL1800 (Gold Wing), and ride it when I am able to during business/personal trips to my friends on the west coast. Infact I came off a GL1800 to get the R1200GSA, both bikes are unique to themselves, but hands down my GS is just plain more fun than any other bike I have ridden to date. I have made up my mind that I am keeping it another 15,000 miles or so which will permit me to trade/sell it in 2009 for another 1200 ADV. This bikes fits me better than any other, and although I can't explain better, it is the one that I most WANT, even with the break downs, I love my GS!

The First Weekend of Ownership, April 8-9, 2006!

120354285_QLBsv-L.jpg

120354246_s44zt-L.jpg

September 9, 2006

99422421-L.jpg

September 5, 2007

213020973_KPuyv-L.jpg

April 5, 2008

275273366_dXCc2-L.jpg

(Loaded up and heading to Wild West Honda for Warranty Repair!)

Oh... one more thing;

It does not like deep sand or deep gravel too much.

138382526_cLMMd-L.jpg

142170241_Zkv2Y-L.jpg

Last edited:
Than you very much for the additional info.

I have been, oddly enough, been reading advrider.com a lot the last few days and had gotten a lot of info about the GS's in general.

Now, talk about polar opposites, but my current bike is a 2005 Hayabusa LE (LE just means it's got a black frame and some charcoal colored fairings or something, I dunno, same bike, just a different color).

I have been riding for about 20 years and have owned 13 bikes to date, including the 'Busa. I bought this monster because I have a ~120 mile round trip commute to work and believe it or not, on the highway this thing is amazingly comfy, really stable at spead and surprisingly good on gas (I average around ~43mpg). My wife also loves it and really likes riding 2-up on it.

However, I have been planning on doing some touring on the 'Busa and getting some bags, going campground to campground. I'm okay with being stuck to roads and spending lots of time on the 'Busa. Admittedly, the thing would be a riot on canyon/mountain roads.

But, the outdoorsy dirty guy in me wants something that's more dual-purpose. So I figure an R1200GSA is about as polar opposite of a Hayabusa as possible (short of maybe a dirtbike, but I really don't want another one).

So basically that's what I'm looking at, something really different from what I'm already riding, but that I will really enjoy and have fun with for a long time. :)

Thanks again for all the input.

I forgot to mention that the Adventure with its larger tanks has a 350 mile range... well I am looking at 330 but I have squeezed 370. I am a big guy that is why I only get 35 - 40 mpg on this thing. I has nothing to do with the RPM's that are clocked.

This is a tall bike (as bikes go), so if you have a sub 32 inseam, you have been warned.

DO NOT EVER confuse this thing with dirt bike, that will get you and bike in trouble. It is IMHO best described as a street bike that can be ridden on dirt roads. It is heavy and the weight is your enemy in the loose stuff.

And to better clarify my comment about GSpot & ADVRider. There is alot of good info there, just don't let all of the complaints and phobia's from the disgruntled discourage you from making a choice that is best for you.

I recommend the bike to who ever asks, but know that I have only owned it for two years, and it is my first BMW. So my assumptions / impressions are limited to only my experience.

Good Luck.

But, the outdoorsy dirty guy in me wants something that's more dual-purpose. So I figure an R1200GSA is about as polar opposite of a Hayabusa as possible (short of maybe a dirtbike, but I really don't want another one).

In my honest opinion... wait for the F800GS to come out. I have a feeling it will be just as competent on long pavement trips as it will be in the dirt. A 1200GSA is a big pig to be riding around in some of the stuff that Duke has put it through. Yes it will do it, day in and day out, but would you have more fun on a lighter and almost as powerful bike? That is the real question.

Plus, it doesn't have a shaft drive to implode....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry Duke, you know I love ya!!!

Well, I'm more worried about the ability to haul stuff more than saving a little weight. Which would be more capable in that arena?

This would definitely end up on 2-up trips with me and the wife. :)

I would still wait until the 800 actually comes out. If BMW did their homework and so far it looks like they did, it's going to have almost the same HP, torque, and load capacity as the big boy.

What you have to look at is, the more weight you save, the more you can haul when it comes to these types of bikes. Not true across the board, but pretty accurate with the adventure tourers.

Cool, good advice. Thanks. :)

I'm in no hurry, it's not like I am bike-less (perish that thought!!)

If you can get your hands on the latest issue of American Motorcyclist Magazine...there is a nice two pager review on the 800GS. nothing on the AMA website yet.

Back