• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas to Montana Ride!

I have returned a different person. The hours alone in beauty and solitude, the people I met and the experiences, both good and bad, made a profound impact within me. The time alone allows you to clean out the garbage that accumulates inside, the yammering and manipulation of TV and advertising, the mindless ways of following the Jones's and keeping up with a driven society.

For those who sit and dream of doing a trip I say one thing... Just do it. Life has a tendency to slip by very quickly. Do it while you can.

How true.

I experienced the same thing from a recent 5,725 mile trip. Mine, however, was more of a riding adventure than a vacation. I will take more time on the next one.

You were out a month. Wow! What memories?
:sun:

List of Gear for the 4 week ride to Montana

It seems like a lot... and it is... but I used most of it... next time I'll reduce it somewhat.

Tankbag:
MOA book
Insurance
Receipts pouch
Shield cleaner and rag
GS ball cap
Triumph gloves
Meds pouch - Advil, Cutter, ChapStik, Sudafed, Zantac, ear plugs, Bandaids, Sunscreen
Headlamp flashlight
Sunglasses
BMW 12v accessory cord and 12v phone charger
Clear goggles
Cell Phone
Camera w extra battery, 3 2gig memory cards and pocket tripod
Wet Wipes
Bounty mini roll of paper towels
Survival Kit: mylar space blanket, knife, mini flashlite, lighter(s), compass

Top Case:
Bike cover, Belstaff jacket w armor removed, Belstaff liner, Triumph Raptor mesh jacket (either jacket was worn so only one in case) bike lock cable, liner for mesh jacket, rain pants, rain hat, goretex rain gloves, liter water bottle, laptop case w electronics

Side case right:
MSR stove w small fuel bottle
2 MSR 1 liter fuel bottles (initially mounted outside)
MSR water filtration system w Dromedary quart pouch
Oil/Gas funnel w hose extension
mesh pouch: backpack food
mesh pouch: coffee, tea etc
camp towel, soap, mini roll TP
cookset w cup, spork
Tool pouch: 1/4 and 3/8 socket set, extensions yada yada
1 pint - engine oil
1 pint - trans / FD oil
1 pint clutch / brake fluid
air filter
oil filter
spare throttle & clutch cables, fuel injection hose and siphon hose
mesh pouch: elec wire, BMW filter wrench, spare headlight bulb and spare tire plugs

Side case left:
10x12 Rain fly w extra parachute cord
HD trash bag
misc bag of bungees, ties and straps
Tube: JB Weld, Goop, locktite and misc
Tube: 2nd cargo net
Tube: Air gauge, tire plug kit, valve cores/tool, BMW feeler gauges
Slime Pump w various elec connectors
Parts Pouch: plugs, fuel hose clamps and connectors, fuses, crush washers, plug gap gauge, sight window, bailing wire, zip ties
Spare Fuel pump
Misc Pouch: 2 tie downs, duct and elec tape
1 liter fuel bottle
Tool Pouch: Wrenches 5mm to 19mm, needlenose pliers. needlenose vise grips, wire cutters
Tool pouch: Bondhus Allen wrench set, Lysle Allen drive set, feeler gauge, 4 in 1 screwdriver, Lysle 12 pc torx drive set

Electronics:
12" iBook w charger brick
120g FireLite (mirror) drive w firewire cable
Mini XD card reader
Treo 650 w charger brick and sync cable
Bluetooth headset wth USB charge cable
Battery charger for camera

(Frankly, I wish didn't have to bring the electronics but they are essential to my life and business. The ride report was a pain to do, but it also functioned as a diary and so it was well worth doing - I'd have forgotten so much otherwise. I'll try to reduce charger bulk by getting usb charger cables for my Treo also.)

Clothes duffle:
North Face 5 degree Down mummy bag in stuff sac
Camp pillow
2 jeans
5 undies
2 lycra bike shorts
1 short sleeve t
2 long sleeve t's
3 polypro long sleeve t's
3 crew socks
1 pr Columbia ltwt hiking shoes
1 cargo shorts
1 thin fleece pullover
1 bag cold weather gear - polypro thermal top/bottom, wool socks, thin sock liner, thin glove liner, wool watch cap
* didn't need the real cold weather gear, but traveling alone in the mountains I'll always take it. I'll delete the cotton T's, underwear and just bring Lycra riding shorts and poly T's. Will have riding pants next time and bring one pair jeans. The extra shoes, shorts and fleece pullover were nice for evenings.

Cargo net on top of duffle:
REI Halfdome tent and Thermarest

Camelbak:
Worn most of the time or stuffed under cargo net

Back