• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Area Urban Dual Sport Rides

I thought I had seen that the Bastrop trails were no longer useable due to development and or police enforcement.

I havent ridden Bastrop since our tour guide from the area had moved away, and we were told they cracking down on the riding back there.. I have a few friends that live out that way and they also echoed the same, specifically about Tahitian village. With a plated bike you can legally ride the roads out there, but the good stuff is off the well beaten path...

Last time I was in Lago they had the areas well marked that riding was no longer allowed, especially in one particular neighborhood where development has resumed with lake level (and property values) back up...

Reactions: JMZ
Hey bastrop was hecking fun last time i went. I think there are some dirt roads near lake travis too but i have to too explore it. I cant show you the ropes but if you want company in bastrop hmu.

Also im betting by the airport there are some hidden gems...they sure looked good from way up :)
Been years, but the area north of Loyola by the school used to have some great trails. Is this still a thing? There’s been a bit of hipster development out that way, but I can still see tracks....

Bueller?!?!

LOL
b0abd580fd4e95ab9f329ec07397f959.gif

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Is that near Loyola, between Decker & Johnny Morris? I may check that out this weekend. I'm messing with jetting/tuning my DR650 currently, but plan on doing some exploring. I live on the East Side off 183 and Bolm Rd.

Been years, but the area north of Loyola by the school used to have some great trails. Is this still a thing? There’s been a bit of hipster development out that way, but I can still see tracks....

Bueller?!?!
I'm not familiar but I'll try and scope it out. hipster development everywhere....I'm sadly part of the problem :( ....

I worked on my DR's jetting and was feeling pretty good about it so I set out to find the trails on Loyola. There was silt fence covering what I thought was the entrance, just west of the fire station. I tried to get around it in a few different spots. Got stuck in the mud, twice. I have the stock Trailwings/Deathwings on the DR and they do in fact suck in the mud. After getting her unstuck twice I remembered that I hadn't eaten all day, so I rode to El Chilito via Area 51 and got tacos. All in all it was a fun day, but I need to get some more aggressive rubber before I get into the wet stuff, especially solo.

I did see a guy on MLK near 183 on what looked to be an XR650L around 3pm or so. Anyone on here?

Last edited:
ditto... fixed my adjustment screw then ate...the mud convinced me to buy a set of shinkos

It looks like ridedualsport.com is still alive.... much of the urban dual sport chatter seemed to move over there back in the day, but my info is not current.... I think there are probably still groups of quiet, shady characters riding around in the bushes out there.

I want to be one of said shady characters, somebody reach out!

Hahaha! I could reach out, but it's about 1,500 miles and there's a lot of snow on the ground here. With that said, I have 3 million (with an "M") acres of public land outside of my garage door, so I could show you some stuff.... (when the snow is gone).

Holy smokes! Wyoming... no thanks!

Austin may be getting snow again for the 2nd time this year in a couple days. That's enough snow for me.

Justin!! How's it going, man? As for the trails, I haven't ridden any of those in years. I would suspect the area 51 stuff would be difficult to access with all the new road construction. It's likely pretty grown over as well if they haven't been ridden. I know of a few pretty large homeless camps back in there as well from responding to EMS calls in the area.

"Journey to the center of the homeless camp" sounds like a best seller.

If anybody wants to give it a try, as far as I can tell, my KLX will do anything I point at it.

Jeff good to hear from you buddy, if you ever get north, let me know :)

(edit: and I remember homeless camps in there back "in the day" as well)

I'll for sure stop by next time I'm camping out your way. Supposed to be in the area in mid June. Enjoy the ski season. I miss it.

I want to join this club! I’m also in East Austin and this will be my first weekend with my 'new' CRF 250L Rally. (Haven’t had a bike in 30 years). I
was looking at that Winding Pine area in Bastrop, but not sure I’m ready to ride 75mph on 71 just yet. Any other suggestions? That Loyola Decker Morris area?
See ya out there

Back