• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
My 03 dodge consistently runs over 500 miles per tank pulling the cargo trailer grossing near 20,000 , the best part is with my extra tank in the truck i have 2,000 mile range before needing fuel and have a wholesale supplier at both ends of the trip . Picked it up 10% a couple years ago when I swapped the 4.10 gear for a 3.73 . With no loss of power . The 7.3 F 350 beater doesnt have the power or range but sure works good for around town . 415,000 miles that I know of and keeps on going strong .
I'm not sure why you feel the need to pipe in with examples that are totally irrelevant to the conversation other than to boast about your resistance to the future the overlords are pushing on us. We're discussing "off the lot" vehicles, not customized. If your Dodge can get 15 mpg pulling a 20,000 lb trailer for 500 miles, that means about a 33 gallon tank which is normal for that vehicle. But adding a 100 gallon tank to the bed is not normal at all. Nor would the average buyer swap diff ratios. To add an equivalent gain to an EV, 3 battery packs would have to be stacked on top of each other which is not only unfeasable but impossible to do.

But If you're comparing loaded ranges, I was only getting 13 mpgs max o th easy sections in a 02 Chevy diesel pulling about #5,000 of enclosed trailer to Bonneville. V-nosed 6x12 tandem axle with 2 bikes and a full 1-1/2 wide top and bottom chest plus a host of spare parts, canopies, small generator and cleaning supplies. That's not much weight but a box is a box and wind is far worse than weight in OTR hauling. I think you also travel about the same route I used to. Or maybe you go straight up through the plains. But I was going up through Amarillo and into Colorado, up to 70 and west to Wendover which is a lot of elevation changing,

About as close as I could find with v 8, v 6 turbo, hybrid and electric on the same chassis.
Again, it is not the performance that is the issue, but the range and charge availability, time and that big price tag. The same with motorcycles, not the performance but the range charge time and price as compared to an ICE.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to pipe in with examples that are totally irrelevant to the conversation other than to boast about your resistance to the future the overlords are pushing on us. We're discussing "off the lot" vehicles, not customized. If your Dodge can get 15 mpg pulling a 20,000 lb trailer for 500 miles, that means about a 33 gallon tank which is normal for that vehicle. But adding a 100 gallon tank to the bed is not normal at all. Nor would the average buyer swap diff ratios. To add an equivalent gain to an EV, 3 battery packs would have to be stacked on top of each other which is not only unfeasable but impossible to do.

But If you're comparing loaded ranges, I was only getting 13 mpgs max o th easy sections in a 02 Chevy diesel pulling about #5,000 of enclosed trailer to Bonneville. V-nosed 6x12 tandem axle with 2 bikes and a full 1-1/2 wide top and bottom chest plus a host of spare parts, canopies, small generator and cleaning supplies. That's not much weight but a box is a box and wind is far worse than weight in OTR hauling. I think you also travel about the same route I used to. Or maybe you go straight up through the plains. But I was going up through Amarillo and into Colorado, up to 70 and west to Wendover which is a lot of elevation changing,
Simply because untill drastic changes come along in the electric vehicle industry it is a toy or for people who never venture further than 50 miles from their home base . Not suitable for real world use . I have two electric bicycles , they are toys and preform very well for a toy . Same goes for ice , they can be made to preform very well or they can be a piece of junk . You can make it do what you want . Good luck trying to improve performance with your electric car .

Simply because untill drastic changes come along in the electric vehicle industry it is a toy or for people who never venture further than 50 miles from their home base . Not suitable for real world use .
That just depends on what your 'real world' is. I am just a desk jockey, I don't need to tow 5 tons, and my job is less than 60 miles round trip from my house. I have been electric since 2011. I have done 140,000 miles in a Nissan Leaf (ugly but well built) and I will cross the 80,000 mile mark in my Fiat 500e next week. Slowly but surely, I'm closing in a quarter million all-electric miles in Texas. It's not for everybody and it helps that my stay-at-home wife has a Ford Explorer.

That just depends on what your 'real world' is. I am just a desk jockey, I don't need to tow 5 tons, and my job is less than 60 miles round trip from my house. I have been electric since 2011. I have done 140,000 miles in a Nissan Leaf (ugly but well built) and I will cross the 80,000 mile mark in my Fiat 500e next week. Slowly but surely, I'm closing in a quarter million all-electric miles in Texas. It's not for everybody and it helps that my stay-at-home wife has a Ford Explorer.
That, right there, is the only sensible use case for current tech electric cars I can think of. Second vehicle used primarily for moderate distance commutes. Glad it's working for you!

That, right there, is the only sensible use case for current tech electric cars I can think of. Second vehicle used primarily for moderate distance commutes. Glad it's working for you!
And that is a use case that would work for a whole bunch of people. While I want the fusion powered DeLorean that can go 0 - 100 in 0.5 seconds and travel 1000 miles on a banana peel, there are use cases that work with the currently available technology that would make a big dent in our use of fossil fuels. My EV bike lets me commute on about $0.50/day and I have a lot of fun in the process. I am fortunate in that I have multiple bikes in the garage, but I am sure glad that one of them is an EV. There is no vehicle made or has ever been made that is the ideal vehicle for all people. There may not be any vehicle ever made that is the ideal vehicle for anyone. Every vehicle is a compromise to some extent. EVs require many compromises, and too many compromises for many people. But for many others, those compromises are tolerable - provided that we don't let prejudice get in the way.

Saw my first Tesla truck today. I don't know what qualifies it as a truck, and I admit to overall ignorance about it.
It looked to me like a canvas top Humvee that had all round angles removed. Elon must have been on the blunts when he thought it up.

Not just battery vehicles burn to the ground. My neighbors Ford today.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1710982869772.jpg
    FB_IMG_1710982869772.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1710982882666.jpg
    FB_IMG_1710982882666.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 29
Zack / Revzilla / Daily Rider review of the S2 Del Mar:

My take: this is a good looking bike but they have to sort out the range, the price or both. I might buy the current range for 1/3 the price (that would be 70 miles for $5,500) or 3x the range for the current price (that would be 210 miles for $15,500). I couldn't buy the current range for the current price (70 miles for $15K)

Zack / Revzilla / Daily Rider review of the S2 Del Mar:

My take: this is a good looking bike but they have to sort out the range, the price or both. I might buy the current range for 1/3 the price (that would be 70 miles for $5,500) or 3x the range for the current price (that would be 210 miles for $15,500). I couldn't buy the current range for the current price (70 miles for $15K)
My wife and I watched this one together mostly because she owns a Zero SR/F and I took the LiveWire One around for a test ride at the Electrify Expo (or whatever it's called). For the record, I loved the LW One, but lack of L2 charging on that bike would make me shy away from it. From a look standpoint, I'm not sure the Del Mar is much to look at, but it does look a bit better in person (kind of like the HD Pan America). I thought for all of Zack's 'I'm tired of all the price and range conversations.', he spent a fair amount of time talking about those. That said, electric motorcycles are going to struggle with range. Unlike their four wheel counterparts, you can't keep tossing batteries into them, there's a size constraint. This size constraint causes the range issue. As a commuter bike, electric bikes are great as long as you can charge either at home or work. (spoiler alert)... But did the Del Mar really deserve to be dead last as a daily rider? I'm not sure, It wasn't better than the most of the bikes on the list, but I think it was better as a daily rider than the HD he reviewed.

The electric bike market is a market that really still requires people to own two bikes. One for in town commuting and one for going places that the electric couldn't or wouldn't take you without a distance/power issue.

If you're familiar with enduros you know they have a gas stop away from camp. You send your gas can on a trailer, the Stark guy sent his generator. Lol. Still came up short but got 62 miles in. A "B" rider I'm sure he was running a good pace.

"The White Rock Enduro gas trailer housed a generator that was used to charge a #StarkVarg. @pinney151 rode the B30 class and made it 62 miles before his charge ran out. He didn’t finish, but is it always about finishing? It sounds like he enjoyed his day #GettingSeattime. What are your thoughts?!?!"

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1711561609598.jpg
    FB_IMG_1711561609598.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 16
Back