• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
Royal Enfield has unveiled their first "flex fuel" motorcycle, a 2025 Classic 350. It will take fuel containing 25% ethanol as per new Indian government law. Not sure that's the way to go...

Screenshot_20240202_084852_Facebook.jpg

Royal Enfield has unveiled their first "flex fuel" motorcycle, a 2025 Classic 350. It will take fuel containing 25% ethanol as per new Indian government law. Not sure that's the way to go...

DIESEL!!!!!

DIESEL!!!!!
I like the bike.
Currently, most petrol pumps across the country (India) have 10 per cent ethanol blended in their petrol tanks. The government has plans to take the ethanol blend to 25% by 2025.
I can only imagine the costs to India and its population to take petrol to 25% ethanol - fertilizer, farmland and fuel to take land out of food production and devote it to petrol production. :doh:

Well, my cool neighbor that's drooled over my E30 since he moved in, and has two E36's in the garage we were going to make one out of, suddenly sold them both and got one of these. I'll report more on this paradigm shift after we have weekend drinks. Color me surprised.

th-265116166.jpg

Linear torque "curve" of EV may change some minds. If it's two wheels it's allowed. The rest is just options.

So what happened was, my neighbor hit something in his Mini Cooper that he didn't like anyway, and it tore the oil pan out and other damage. He went by the BMW dealer that just happened to have this 2014 (looks brand new!) at a get it off the lot price, and someone wanted both his E46's and he said what the hey.

So he took me for a ride and then let me drive it and holy moley!! I was shocked at the performance of this commuter car!! Acceleration was great, the auto braking was weird but would be cool once used to it, and it handled great. He'll just commute to work and go to the store and such with it, otherwise they'll use the wife's big Jeep.

If I made money like they do, that would be great as a second car, but I don't.

“my neighbor hit something in his Mini Cooper that he didn't like anyway, and it tore the oil pan out…”

hope he doesn’t hit something and tear his battery compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 26
This is exactley where I sit on the issue of electric cars.
They have many miles to go to bring ev's to the point of being convenient to travel in. As it is right now I dont see any way that a familly could own only ev's. One of the family cars will have to be an ice for the foreseeable future.
This article makes a great point on how awsome Ice cars would be if the time line was reversed.

Screenshot_20240216_065857_Facebook.jpg

This is exactley where I sit on the issue of electric cars.
They have many miles to go to bring ev's to the point of being convenient to travel in. As it is right now I dont see any way that a familly could own only ev's. One of the family cars will have to be an ice for the foreseeable future.
This article makes a great point on how awsome Ice cars would be if the time line was reversed.

View attachment 374325
That article is so dumb I don't even know where to start.

I'm pretty sure that's what cowboys thought of cars 125 years ago. Why would I want to buy something I have to work on and order gas for? My horse only needs grooming and eats hay or grass. Derp.

That article is so dumb I don't even know where to start.

I'm pretty sure that's what cowboys thought of cars 125 years ago. Why would I want to buy something I have to work on and order gas for? My horse only needs grooming and eats hay or grass. Derp.
I guess my thought is that back then new technology had to make its own way. Now we have government flooding the industry with subsidies.
My second thought is that modern life is all about convenience. We can buy a pre made peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crust cut off. Why the heck would we go backward? Stats are showing 50% of those with ev vehicles are not going to buy another one because its just not viable and in my opinion never will be for any kind of travel till every hotel, and restaurant has a chargeing station for every booth and room. Im just waiting for when they have to evacuate the gulf hurricane zone again and we see the mayhem of the freeways clogged with ev's that dont need a couple gallons of gas to continue but need a 45 minute charge. Its coing to cause a human catastrophe.
You may be right that its coming. One article I read was estimated to be at least 30 years out without a massive break through.
Many Companies that bought the ford electric truck are finding they just dont work. Real world is showing where you have hills and heavy loads the range is down to around 60 miles befor they have to have a $30 per hr employee sit for 45 minutes to re charge. In flat country they are getting much better so bigger companies are rearranging the fleets. As it is now the whole thing is a scam.

I guess my thought is that back then new technology had to make its own way. Now we have government flooding the industry with subsidies.
My second thought is that modern life is all about convenience. We can buy a pre made peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crust cut off. Why the heck would we go backward? Stats are showing 50% of those with ev vehicles are not going to buy another one because its just not viable and in my opinion never will be for any kind of travel till every hotel, and restaurant has a chargeing station for every booth and room. Im just waiting for when they have to evacuate the gulf hurricane zone again and we see the mayhem of the freeways clogged with ev's that dont need a couple gallons of gas to continue but need a 45 minute charge. Its coing to cause a human catastrophe.
You may be right that its coming. One article I read was estimated to be at least 30 years out without a massive break through.
Many Companies that bought the ford electric truck are finding they just dont work. Real world is showing where you have hills and heavy loads the range is down to around 60 miles befor they have to have a $30 per hr employee sit for 45 minutes to re charge. In flat country they are getting much better so bigger companies are rearranging the fleets. As it is now the whole thing is a scam.
Your response is all over the place.

But okay, great, you don't like EV. Got it. No one is forcing you to buy one.

In the meantime, I'll look for one of those premade PB&J sandwiches made by someone who's making $30/h and sits for 45 minutes in flat country. That does sound like a scam...

I'm pretty sure that's what cowboys thought of cars 125 years ago. Why would I want to buy something I have to work on and order gas for? My horse only needs grooming and eats hay or grass.
Horses need feed oats, alfalfa, grains hay and grasses are used as fillers. Unless you've got pasture land and a barn that horse will need to be boarded not to mention exercise and vet bills. That electric vehicle you've been heaping so much praise on ain't gonna pull the horse trailer very far without needing a recharge either and yes Uncle Sam is trying to force me and other Americans to buy one.

Horses need feed oats, alfalfa, grains hay and grasses are used as fillers. Unless you've got pasture land and a barn that horse will need to be boarded not to mention exercise and vet bills. That electric vehicle you've been heaping so much praise on ain't gonna pull the horse trailer very far without needing a recharge either and yes Uncle Sam is trying to force me and other Americans to buy one.
I am not praising electric vehicles. I don't even have one. But I think electric has its place. I'm not resistant to change hence the reference about riding a horse.

Uncle Sam isn't trying to force you either. You don't want one, don't buy one. I don't see the government knocking on your door and dragging you to a dealership.

Last edited:
I dont even know what to say if you dont see that the government is forcing electric vehicles on us. Sure they are not holding a gun to my head and walking me into a dealership but they are holding a financial gun to the heads of our automakers and power generator companies if they dont comply.
Im not necessarily against change, im just against it being forced down our throat at a pace that is clearly not feasible by a government that clearly cant get anything right. Im not picking on this administration, governmet is, and always has been the peak of corruption and inefficiency.

I dont even know what to say if you dont see that the government is forcing electric vehicles on us. Sure they are not holding a gun to my head and walking me into a dealership but they are holding a financial gun to the heads of our automakers and power generator companies if they dont comply.
Im not necessarily against change, im just against it being forced down our throat at a pace that is clearly not feasible by a government that clearly cant get anything right. Im not picking on this administration, governmet is, and always has been the peak of corruption and inefficiency.
If you want to make it political, there is another forum for that...

The whole EV push is political. I think the free market has spoken with over fifty percent of owners saying they won't be buying another one.

Not exactly, that ~50% is for their next vehicle, either replacement or 2nd vehicle. With multi vehicle homes being the norm it makes sense to have both an EV and ICE.

Tesla has a ~70% customer loyalty rate. How many of that 30% switch to another EV manufacturer?

I am not praising electric vehicles. I don't even have one. But I think electric has its place. I'm not resistant to change hence the reference about riding a horse.

+1
Plus I'll add I never plan on buying one as it doesn't fit my needs. But for many it is a smart choice.

This thread has become a "bash EV" thread with many just posting biased articles and ancedotal heresay without much first hand knowledge or experience.

Bottom line is that massive electric power generator plants are far more efficient at consuming fossil fuels to generate power than any consumer ICE engine. That is why electric vehicles are better for the environment than consumer ICE engines. Even though electric vehicles ultimately use fossil fuels for power it is still better more efficient. There cannot even be an argument about that. If you think this is purely political just go sit in your garage with your cars running with your garage door closed and tell me it is good for humans after 30 minutes. Then do the same with an electric car. Lithium schmitium. The batteries of the future won't use lithium so please stop with that.

I honestly have no horse in this race. I don't have kids. I don't care what shape you leave the planet in for yours. That is your choice. I also really don't care if you choose a consumer ICE engine vehicle because it works better for you. Go for it. Everyone has to do what makes sense for them.

The only thing I really don't understand is treating everyone who has a preference for something different than you is somehow an idiot. There is money to be made in alternative fuels and storage. Why can't we agree that the U.S. should be the country making all that money?

Last edited:
There is money to be made in alternative fuels and storage. Why can't we agree that the U.S. should be the country making all that money?

Let's hear it for the capitalists! I'm with you, if the people want to buy pet rocks, sell them rocks, even if you think it is complete lunacy.

As it turns out, I have an EV bike, a PHEV car, and ICE bikes. I just put gas in my car for the first time in over a year. For me, that's a big win. I just drove down to the Mexico border and back on my ICE bike, and my Zero would have been an awful choice, but tomorrow I am going to check in with the MGTT and do a couple of hundred miles and the Zero is going to be awesome. It is true that I would find it hard to live in a state like TX with only one vehicle that is an EV, but since I have more than one, I find that there are applications where the EVs kick butt. I imagine that as time goes on, the need for an ICE will diminish, even if we aren't quite there yet.

Back