• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

Will you keep your ICE bike once electric takes over?

• Yes

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
There's been some renewable energy studies that have really slammed the solar manufacturers because they continue to build larger and thinner panels which are more prone to this type of damage. I'm sure the original person posting that statement doesn't live in Texas or they would have remembered the three cold days that we spent without power due to natural gas issues. Nothing is perfect. That's why I actually like how the Texas grid is growing solar and wind, right alongside our older natural gas, nuke (soon to be history), and coal fired power plants. A true mix would provide a balance and that's what we need balance. The problem is every side paints the other as evil instead of as partners trying to power a continuing growing state and a growing demand for energy.

:lol2:

This van is electric.JPG

Is this hyperinflation finally getting to the upper class/elites? Or is it another phase of the fading hysteria over EV's?

I would suspect general biz tightening & lower sales (reported). Most early adopters have their EV's, and according to reports, some are deciding the pure EV's aren't all they were made out to be. Hopefully, the insane gov't subsidies will go away and not be brought back.

Anybody have figures on the percentage of the petroleum industry is gasoline and diesel?

Found this on the energy.gov site:

View attachment 378881

Distillates would be diesel.
I'd like to know what percentage goes to non-transportation, e.g. plastics, fertilizer, industrial chemicals, lubes, etc.
I don't think they'll let us go back to using whale blubber for lubricating oils.

I should have just googled it.

1713282465395.png

I know a lot of former EV/hybrid owners are getting the "message" that LiPO powered vehicles are basically not very safe compared to petrol units.

I know a lot of former EV/hybrid owners are getting the "message" that LiPO powered vehicles are basically not very safe compared to petrol units.
I'm trying to understand this statement and how this aligns with the video. The owner of that car did everything Tesla says don't do...and suffered the consequences. Motorcycles and electrification of them is not great (I know, my wife has one!), but it's not the bike, it's the range (or lack thereof). Battery technology is getting better they continue to make strides in producing power from less toxic and more sustainable materials, which also seem to be providing longer discharge times. The challenge now is getting those things out of the labs and into mainstream consumer goods. I own both electric and diesel vehicles (I've finally felt after 9 years of PHEV, that a full EV would work). There's many good things about EVs and some not so good. Batteries right now sit in both camps. For the record, I have LifePo4 batteries on my RV. As long as you use the proper charger and do things *as* documented by the manufacturer they will outlast normal batteries and provide you with safe power. But in this video this individual ignored all that (or so it seems).

Tell me that what's happening doesn't remind you of Atlas Shrugged? Companies with good ideas and good people behind them leaving poorly managed cities/states.
Love to see it.

I'm trying to understand this statement and how this aligns with the video. The owner of that car did everything Tesla says don't do...and suffered the consequences. Motorcycles and electrification of them is not great (I know, my wife has one!), but it's not the bike, it's the range (or lack thereof). Battery technology is getting better they continue to make strides in producing power from less toxic and more sustainable materials, which also seem to be providing longer discharge times. The challenge now is getting those things out of the labs and into mainstream consumer goods. I own both electric and diesel vehicles (I've finally felt after 9 years of PHEV, that a full EV would work). There's many good things about EVs and some not so good. Batteries right now sit in both camps. For the record, I have LifePo4 batteries on my RV. As long as you use the proper charger and do things *as* documented by the manufacturer they will outlast normal batteries and provide you with safe power. But in this video this individual ignored all that (or so it seems).
As a fire service survivor I can attest that the difference between a collision with petrol units vs Lithium-anything equipped units is MUCH more involved and the dangers are also on a higher level. From electrocutions to thermal runaway to NO fire extinguishment possible...we didn't have to worry about these before LiPo units. Now even breathing a lungful of cobalt infused LiPo smoke is another level of "death becomes you". You may not understand nor agree with what I'm saying, but these EV/Hybrids have brought a whole other dimension of danger to the highways and byways. And most people DO NOT follow directions for properly maintaining things in general, thus you and your RV batteries might do fine, but the guy in the RV spot next to you is using his old 3 stage charger that worked "just fine" on his other batteries...then POOF. This is really my point...the new batteries are even LESS "idiot proof" than the leaded versions were.

Tell me that what's happening doesn't remind you of Atlas Shrugged? Companies with good ideas and good people behind them leaving poorly managed cities/states.
Love to see it.
Is that large Lithium extraction endeavor still underway in Arkansas? By a petroleum company, no less. https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...ansas-and-expects-to-begin-production-by-2027

This is really my point...the new batteries are even LESS "idiot proof" than the leaded versions were.
I will disagree in regards to that particular video. As the firefighter in that video stated, he has no idea how he even got anything to fit into the area where the actual connector points were. To be honest you'll never please all the people all the time. If we were to make things more idiot proof, then people would complain that things were too idiot proof. Then when things are made more accessible complaints arise that we haven't restricted them enough.

This is not to minimize your concerns, but that in this case Tesla (who I personally have no love for) make it extremely difficult to get access to, this idiot just went out of his way to short circuit every warning and obstacle Tesla designed into the system. So, while your point is valid, this was a very poor choice of example of your point...

Battery chemistries all work differently, Lithium ion do one thing, standard lead acid do another, LifePo4 do yet something else. General purpose batteries all have a standard design regardless of chemistry. Because manufacturers are making these available to general designs (RV, motorcycles, cars, or backups to the grid), it's incumbent for people to understand them before using them. Your point that people don't follow directions is valid. But if we started restricting everything that was dangerous when people didn't follow directions, we would have a nation screaming and whining way more than it already is...

Again, I'm not trying to minimize that there can be catestrophic issues with different chemistries, but hopefully our current battery chemistries are just a blip in progress.

Again, I'm not trying to minimize that there can be catestrophic issues with different chemistries, but hopefully our current battery chemistries are just a blip in progress.
This "blip" is causing MUCH damage around the planet, unnecessarily so IMO. Quality control is one thing (and lets face it, Chinese manufacturers are a real culprit here!) so Tesla has upped the QC but it's still a point of concern when there is a collision...MUCH more so than when ICE vehicles have a collision. Haven't heard of the insurance companies totalling EV's (and plug in hybrids) due to what I've been told is liability reasons since they can't rule out that a battery cell isn't compromised and it's too costly to tear down some vehicles (if not all now) to verify EACH cell is ok?

As a motorcyclist this EV stuff with "autopilot" scares me.

More solar BS that will affect offroaders.
"Need something to read? How about this 538 page impact statement from the BLM. Consider this: The BLM manages over 162 million acres of land across 11 western states. The push to develop solar energy sources across these lands is upon us. If developed, there will be impacts to motorized use on those lands."

My private riding park, Cycleland, is one step to selling out to this now. Final decision soon. All leg work already done. Clear cutting that beautiful piece of property is pretty sad.

More solar BS that will affect offroaders.
"Need something to read? How about this 538 page impact statement from the BLM. Consider this: The BLM manages over 162 million acres of land across 11 western states. The push to develop solar energy sources across these lands is upon us. If developed, there will be impacts to motorized use on those lands."

My private riding park, Cycleland, is one step to selling out to this now. Final decision soon. All leg work already done. Clear cutting that beautiful piece of property is pretty sad.
I wonder it they would clear-cut the rain forest for solar, cause they sure wouldn't let anyone extract oil, wood etc from there for energy

A friend just went to the other side, lol. But he owns both in picture.

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpg
    IMG_7712.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
EV's are a fad. Without CONSTANT TAXPAYER SUBSIDIES they go away REALLY fast. Plus, anyone that owns one, learns QUICKLY that the charging infrastructure, not to mention our grid, especially here in even Texas, is barely able to keep up with summertime OR winter storm demands. EV's are a pipe dream at this point in time and there just isn't enough money to fix all the problems quick enough. Last time I checked USA is BROKE beyond comprehension so these subsidies (and they are STILL there for Tesla, my brother just got one and is struggling to justify it) will come to a crashing halt. Seems the EV industry is already in a severe downfall. Who, in their right mind, wants these glorified golf carts?

Back