• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Klim opinions

Wow, those Cardos are pricey!

A single unit is $351. If you get the Duo set it is $628. That is a nice discount, but I would need three of them.

The listing is VERY unclear about what EXACTLY comes in the box. IF you buy the unit without a helmet kit, is it JUST the communicator with no speakers or a mic? Also, if you get the duo pack with helmet kit, it says 1 extra kit included, which seems odd if you are buying two units. Am I missing something here?

This is the one I have. The JBL speakers aren't bad even for helmet speakers. I got mine via an Amazon Warehouse Deal for a nice discount.

There are cheaper models that don't come with the JBL speakers but I think the speakers can be added later.

I've found the Edge to be a noticeable improvement in sound volume over my old Bold. I managed to get a Cardo Edge Duo pack for Black Friday last year for $489 after tax / shipping, so $245 each.

Take the Cardo over the Sena any day. You pay for it but a very nice unit. I had a bad experience with the pac talk slim, but the edge is great. It's also nice when moving the units between helmets. I did that for years prior to my Sena experiment.

Man, this might need to be spun off to it's own thread. :D

How are the Cardo speakers for thickness? I have a set of Sena SMH10's but they make the helmet uncomfortable with them installed.

I would say it depends more on your helmet than the speakers themselves. Have you tried to remove foam or try to carve out some space in the cheek pads? I haven't seen a Sena unit in person at all, so I can't give an honest comparison.

So if you buy a single unit, it DOES come with the speakers and mic? You don't have to buy that extra? And if you get the dual kit, it comes with two sets of speakers and mics? I guess I am just not seeing the point of the helmet kit if the units already have the speakers and mics :shrug:

So if you buy a single unit, it DOES come with the speakers and mic? You don't have to buy that extra? And if you get the dual kit, it comes with two sets of speakers and mics? I guess I am just not seeing the point of the helmet kit if the units already have the speakers and mics :shrug:
Sounds to me like if you have a street helmet and an ADV helmet, for example, you could have the speaker and mic kits in both helmets using the extra kit, and just move the device to whatever helmet you happen to be using. Otherwise you'd have to continually be moving speakers and mic back and forth which is a pain.

I've found the Edge to be a noticeable improvement in sound volume over my old Bold. I managed to get a Cardo Edge Duo pack for Black Friday last year for $489 after tax / shipping, so $245 each.

That’s impressive. I don’t think I’ve ever ran my Bold at full volume through the JBL speakers and, as I mentioned, I run with my shield up most of the year.

I do have the speakers fitted pretty tight to my ears but not so tight I can’t wear ear plugs.

I got mine as a single unit from cycle gear. It was one box and had everything in it.

Sounds to me like if you have a street helmet and an ADV helmet, for example, you could have the speaker and mic kits in both helmets using the extra kit, and just move the device to whatever helmet you happen to be using. Otherwise you'd have to continually be moving speakers and mic back and forth which is a pain.
Okay, that makes sense. I didn't even think of that since I only use one helmet.

Are the mics boom mics or do you have to stick them to the inside edge of the helmet?

Wow, those Cardos are pricey!

A single unit is $351. If you get the Duo set it is $628. That is a nice discount, but I would need three of them.

The listing is VERY unclear about what EXACTLY comes in the box. IF you buy the unit without a helmet kit, is it JUST the communicator with no speakers or a mic? Also, if you get the duo pack with helmet kit, it says 1 extra kit included, which seems odd if you are buying two units. Am I missing something here?
I'm of no help with what comes in the Packtalks, but I can tell you that the Wife and I have the Freecom 4x's and LOVE them. Full disclosure, we only pair between the two of us 99% of the time, but have paired 4 riders before and they still work just fine. And they are quite a bit cheaper.

I'm of no help with what comes in the Packtalks, but I can tell you that the Wife and I have the Freecom 4x's and LOVE them. Full disclosure, we only pair between the two of us 99% of the time, but have paired 4 riders before and they still work just fine. And they are quite a bit cheaper.

How is the volume level on these? My biggest problem is that I just cannot hear anything if there is any wind noise in my helmet, which is most of the time. With the SENA20s, all three of us spend a lot of time saying, "What!?" So it is not just me being hard of hearing. Even the kids have issues with it and we are always careful to make sure we have the mic directly in front of our mouths.

How is the volume level on these? My biggest problem is that I just cannot hear anything if there is any wind noise in my helmet, which is most of the time. With the SENA20s, all three of us spend a lot of time saying, "What!?" So it is not just me being hard of hearing. Even the kids have issues with it and we are always careful to make sure we have the mic directly in front of our mouths.
The short answer to how the volume is, is that it is pretty good. The longer answer is this:

I use mine on two different helmets (Bell dirt helmet, and Bell mid-range street helmet), and I use them while riding 3 different bikes (Super Tenere, KLR, and KTM). I use the boom mic on both helmets.

On my Tenere while commuting, I can carry on a phone conversation at 90-95mph and people don't know I'm on a motorcycle. I can hear them clearly and the volume is not turned up to max. While commuting I don't usually wear ear plugs as it is only 20 miles each way. Music while commuting is usually not turned up to maximum but it is pretty close. If I listen to a podcast, they are turned up to maximum and can be clearly heard up to 60-65mph. After that, they are 50/50 depending on who is on the podcast and how boisterous they are.

On my Tenere while touring, I wear EarPeace earplugs and can still hear music just fine but it is turned up to maximum. Podcasts above 60-65 mph become closer to 95% not being able to understand them. As for comms while touring, hearing Rachel is a little rough because she didn't use the boom mic in her helmet and she has a tiny head. So she has to speak up in order for me to hear her clearly. Keep in mind, she using a boom mic while in her dirt helmet and if I don't remember to turn my volume down, she blows my ears out when she first cues up her comm when we are riding dirt. I have no reason to believe that her street helmet would be 10x better if she swapped out her microphone to the boom mic. She reports being able to hear me just fine at all speeds (she also wears EarPeace ear plugs while touring).

On my KLR, everything is fine as the speeds don't ever exceed 65-70mph. I can hear everything just fine and people can hear me just fine.

On the KTM, they are amazing. I'm so glad we use them. We can hear each other clearly, and can communicate how we are doing on a trail. I can even hear when she crashes which tells me that I need to turn around.

Please keep in mind that while I use them quite a bit, my experience with different brands is fairly limited. So far my communicator experience goes like this: Chatterbox GMRS units, Scala version 1 or 2 of their communicators, and now these. I've never had any of the Sena communicators, or any of the China branded ones.

I hope this helps!

You're not alone. I had the same experience with the Sena and I have pretty good hearing.

I just bought a pair of short-cuff summer gloves, which are my first ever Klim purchase. They rock. Easily the best gloves I've had. They run small though so go up a size.

I will be buying more Klim stuff in the future.

Yeah, back on topic, I just bought my second pair of KLIM Badland Pro pants. I bought the same size as my previous pair, but the legs feel much more baggy in the thighs! So I ordered one size smaller and they are better in the thighs but kind of snug in the waist. I am trying to decide which to keep and which to send back... Hopefully, I will get another ten years out of this pair like I did the first pair. I'd keep wearing the first pair but I wore a big hole in the lower inside of the left leg somehow and it catches on my footpeg occasionally, almost making me drop the bike if I am not careful! My jacket is still fine and I will be wearing it on our upcoming 8K+ mile trip.

I wanted to buy the one piece Klim Hardanger until I saw they got rid of the long zipper so it’s miserable getting out of the suit. The traditional one piece suits from other brands seem too hot.

Yeah, back on topic, I just bought my second pair of KLIM Badland Pro pants. I bought the same size as my previous pair, but the legs feel much more baggy in the thighs! So I ordered one size smaller and they are better in the thighs but kind of snug in the waist. I am trying to decide which to keep and which to send back... Hopefully, I will get another ten years out of this pair like I did the first pair. I'd keep wearing the first pair but I wore a big hole in the lower inside of the left leg somehow and it catches on my footpeg occasionally, almost making me drop the bike if I am not careful! My jacket is still fine and I will be wearing it on our upcoming 8K+ mile trip.

I need to get new pants because I've lost weight so my old Latitude pants are falling off of me. I'm pretty sure they're size 38.

I combined Latitude pants with a Badlands jacket back when I bought them (2013 or 14 iirc) to save a bit of money but also because it looked like the best combination for ventilation.

My old badland pants vent really well. Not sure yet about the new ones.

I need to get new pants because I've lost weight so my old Latitude pants are falling off of me. I'm pretty sure they're size 38.

I combined Latitude pants with a Badlands jacket back when I bought them (2013 or 14 iirc) to save a bit of money but also because it looked like the best combination for ventilation.
I've added extra velcro to my Latitude pants to cinch up the waist band slack. Haven't checked the price of new pants lately.

I've added extra velcro to my Latitude pants to cinch up the waist band slack. Haven't checked the price of new pants lately.

I could do that but the big problem I have is the legs are so big I'm afraid they won't do much good in a slide. The armor certainly won't be in place.

My Hardanger has been the best piece of gear I've ever owned. Unfortunately I've lost weight again since I bought it but it still does the job.

Back