• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

I bet you would be fine. I would just take it easy on rpms for the first couple hundred miles. You probably need the opinion of a few other folks that have bought new but I would go for it.

@ntklr650 my F850GSA has an app that data logs. On the switch backs on 16 over the mountain I achieved 41 left and 43 degrees right lean angle. Got caught in the rain on the F800GSA and they were fine. Unlike Kenda Big Blocks which are amazing on dirt, but scary on wet pavement. I am mostly pavement and get 4000+ miles out of rear on 85hp bikes. And yes I do hammer the throttle.

@ntklr650 my F850GSA has an app that data logs. On the switch backs on 16 over the mountain I achieved 41 left and 43 degrees right lean angle. Got caught in the rain on the F800GSA and they were fine. Unlike Kenda Big Blocks which are amazing on dirt, but scary on wet pavement. I am mostly pavement and get 4000+ miles out of rear on 85hp bikes. And yes I do hammer the throttle.
That is a great data point, thanks. I would love to do more off-road but the 705s just don't hold as I would like. I do have property and a decent dirt road which they do fine on but I definitely have to be careful how much I get into it. I will say the 705s are unmatched in the rain and slick conditions on pavement. At least unmatched in a budget friendly KLR'ER kinda way.

I have run the 705s for years and love them. Interested to hear your thoughts after a few miles.
I finally got to ride albeit only 30 miles. I was testing the new Shinko 804/805's, thermobob 2A with coolant temperature display, digital tach and Barkbuster style bar end weights. Half of my 30 miles were 75-80mph down Hwy 380. I did not even notice that there were different tires on the bike. Everything felt the same. Maybe, possibly, the Shinko's turn in a bit faster but that was it. No vibes or road noise that I could tell. Now I just need to ride through the LBJ grasslands to see how they are on gravel. More to come.

Getting ready for the Arkansas portion of the TAT in November. A bit early to pack but had to see if everything fit. Mine as well add doors and a television. It's a lot to take but plan on camping most if not all of the trip.

Attachments

• KLR Luggage 1.jpg
    KLR Luggage 1.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 108
  • KLR luggage 2.jpg
    KLR luggage 2.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 110
Getting ready for the Arkansas portion of the TAT in November. A bit early to pack but had to see if everything fit. Mine as well add doors and a television. It's a lot to take but plan on camping most if not all of the trip.
Looks good, if you don't already have them. Get some loaded miles between now and then to get use to the weight and handling difference.

Years ago I had to change my luggage strategy mid trip after I had not tested my setup.

I am not sure what it is about the KLR. There are fancier, more comfortable and more capable bikes (and expensive!) available, but I always have a bigger smile when I see a KLR on the road.

I am not sure what it is about the KLR. There are fancier, more comfortable and more capable bikes (and expensive!) available, but I always have a bigger smile when I see a KLR on the road.
They keep it fun. No abs...tc...computer trying to ride for me. Just the throttle, clutch, brakes and a modest dab of hp. When I dump it there's nothing to blame cept my own inept goofyness. They have their place...

Hello fellow KLR's. I'm in Hillsboro area (central tx) and I have a 22 650 Adventure. I've lurked these posts for a while and am ready to get back out on 2 wheels again. It's been 23 years since I lost a friend on 2 and I've been spooked. Bike has 40 miles on it now and I think all of em were within 10 miles of my house.

Welcome from an 01 owner and an 87 previous owner. That 22 sure looks good.

Some say the Thermobob is a "must do " mod. Some say it's snake oil. I personally have bought into it and have installed it on the gen 3. If you do your own research and make your own decision, that same decision will be the same for all KLR's, gen1-gen 3. It raises the the coolant temp from 157 to 195 and some will say that's bad. In summer temps the bike will run 200+ regardless of thermostat and the fan comes on at 212. It also creates the same coolant temp from bottom to top of cylinder where the OEM design will have a 30-80 degree difference in temperature, thus keeping the cylinder from warping over time and burning oil. Also the gen 3 did not come with a coolant temperature gauge where the previous KLR's did. The new Thermobob comes with the ability to add a coolant temp sensor and gauge, which I really like so I can see what the temp is doing instead of waiting for a light to come on when it is almost too late.

Here is a tail light I have used in the old Harley and I really like it. Just ordered one for the KLR. It's bright and flashes 3 times then goes to solid. It's a simple plug and play, except on the Harley where I needed a load equalizer because I switched all the lights to LED. I had thought the KLR tail/brake light was LED but it's just a regular 1157.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/510-3567/pathfinderled-1157-ultra-flash-red-led-bulb

Looks like its packed nicely.

Also. Anyone near Central Tx area willing to help me out with the doohickeybswap? Nothing immediate. It could be month from now. I'm very new to bikes.

So the 22 KLR seems like it's missing a higher gear for black top riding. Read where many are swapping for a different tooth count to remedy this. Any thoughts?
Depending on your riding. I would jump to a 16 tooth front to give you a comfortable 70mph bike. You will suffer on the low end for of road but it just depends on your usage. If your new to bikes, I would just ride as is for a while before you mess with it.

@Gravel Guy or anyone else who knows the KLR650
Needing some help on a valve adjustment. Looking at the service manual and watching Tim two wheels, I am seeing some items that don't make sense. At TDC, I have the T in the window but the CAM lobes are facing inwards and not outwords like the service manual says. The arrows on the timing chain are pointing backwards which is different than. Tim Two wheels shows. Help????
IMG_20220911_171431014.jpg
IMG_20220911_171531150_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220911_171444406.jpg
IMG_20220911_171450340.jpg

Last edited:
Michael, I think you need to rotate your crankshaft one full turn, ( manually) and all should be well.
👍🏻

Back