• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving to San Antonio Fall of 18'...

Finally made it to San Antonio. Have joined the local BMW Club (SABMW Riders Assc.) and not sure about the Lone Star Club as it looks like it's in Dallas? No matter what, got the bike back together and look forward to riding with some of you over the next three years or so. Please feel free to drop me a note and just wanted to thank everyone one last time from here for the warm welcome.

Erik

Welcome,
Here is the link the the Houston club. They are a good bunch of guys, many of them with lots of experience in Europe, Africa and Asia. They have a calendar including rides in your area.

It's been some year since I rode with the San Antonio club, but at the time they knew every legal road between I35 and New Mexico. It's a good group.

We used to have a really good dealer in Lone Star in Austin, but these days local dealerships range widely in customer service and price. Lots of us order BMW parts on line from Max BMW. Even if you decide to order elsewhere you may find their online parts fiche and pricing valuable.

m

Might be a little too soon to leave my wife alone with two semi trucks of boxes and household goods to still be unpacked :)

Keep me in mind in the future!

It's not like you are going to be putting things in the "right" place anyway...

My wife will ask me to unload the dishwasher. So I try. I have a hard time figuring out where everything is supposed to go. About the time I start to figure it out, she rearranges all the drawers and cabinets and I have to start learning it all again. She'll ask me to load the dishwasher and apparently things have to go in a special way... that I don't know :suicide:

She gets annoyed when I can't find something and I ask her where it might be. "I don't know! Have you looked for it!?" She goes into "cleaning" trances where she just starts blasting through the house putting things away. When she snaps out of the trance, she has no memory of what she did while in the trance. She can usually find something though, which is why I just ask her if I can't find it pretty quick. I don't tend to move stuff around so it is usually right where I left it unless someone else has messed with it. Of course, I am getting to the point where sometimes I do forget where I put things so I wouldn't forget where I put them... :roll:

Here's a taste of what you can find in Arkansas...

Welcome,
Here is the link the the Houston club. They are a good bunch of guys, many of them with lots of experience in Europe, Africa and Asia. They have a calendar including rides in your area.

It's been some year since I rode with the San Antonio club, but at the time they knew every legal road between I35 and New Mexico. It's a good group.

We used to have a really good dealer in Lone Star in Austin, but these days local dealerships range widely in customer service and price. Lots of us order BMW parts on line from Max BMW. Even if you decide to order elsewhere you may find their online parts fiche and pricing valuable.

m

Thanks for the heads up and general information. I do most of the work on my bike and used to get parts at the German BMW shop and minus the taxes/VAT was a bit spoiled...or I just order online, agreed.

Again, thank you!

I've heard they are expensive...i was picking up E-07/Dakars in the end for 50ish Euro. The E-07+ for around 65-80 Euro. I have read the discussions online as to why they are double or triple the price here in N. America.

My last order (sigh):
View attachment 229224

I found Touratech the same. Bad rap here in N. America for the prices, but in Germany (I know, where it's made) the prices were fair. I asked them about it at the Touratech Headquarters. They just frowned when they saw the prices had almost tripled here in the states. But...seems there are very solid other parts manufacturers out there. Between 4x4's and adventure riding no shortage of aftermarket parts here in America. Good t be home :)
For further discussion, follow me here:

Last edited:
Do you have any extra Bitte Ein Bit stickers? If you were at the BMW Club meeting last Saturday you know why I won’t be wrenching for a while. But once healed you you will get good service at Alamo BMW. Dang it is hard to pat yourself on the back with a broken collar bone!

Do you have any extra Bitte Ein Bit stickers? If you were at the BMW Club meeting last Saturday you know why I won’t be wrenching for a while. But once healed you you will get good service at Alamo BMW. Dang it is hard to pat yourself on the back with a broken collar bone!

Oh man, sad to hear that. Get well soon, broken collarbone sucks.

I'm now having a hankerin' for a Bitburger, which is my default German beer. It's available here, but you have to look. I was thinking about one when we drove past Wallburg a couple of days ago. Wallburg is a very small town with a fair German restaurant just north of Austin. It has a fair selection of beers as well.

Details, If you don't mind saying

I was headed to work and took my exit off the highway like normal and the thing I remember is the paramedics tending to me. The police report says I told him I lost the bike changing lanes from not new pavement to new pavement on a misty morning and lost the bike on the transition. All I know for sure is I have typical high side injury. Bike isn’t in that bad of shape.

Sorry to hear, there has been some crappy weather mornings and fog for sure down here. Hope you heal quickly.

Hope you're better soon.
That mist has been making me appreciate ASC on Blanco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for decals for you. Pretty sure we don't have any but have seen online - ebay for sure. Think they ship from Europe. Again, I'll take a look as we unpack but don't think so.

Get well on the collarbone/clavical front! One year ago today I was in various hospitals in Africa. Broken collarbone (among other major injuries) was not fun.

This was my St. Patricks Day last year:

Bike was fixed I am still broke but that's the adventure of all this.

Hope you heal well and keep me/us posted :)

Erik

I was headed to work and took my exit off the highway like normal and the next thing I remember is the paramedics tending to me. The police report says I told him I lost the bike changing lanes from not new pavement to new pavement on a misty morning and lost the bike on the transition. All I know for sure is I have typical high side injury. Bike isn’t in that bad of shape.
Surgery went well. I do have plenty of scares. Here is before surgery. Will try to post surgical x Ray next week.

Dang, that's scary. Knowing how good of a rider you are makes it even more scary for a newb like me.

Glad to hear you are recovering well. Heal fast.

Drunk Uncle, That looks painful, I had one just like it!
You will soon be up and around, best of luck with the recovery.

Welcome! Heal fast!

I am from the San Antonio area and after a multiple year adventure, move back in a few months!

Just wondering if you ever made it back? Went on a month long trip to the NE and Canada only to be crushed by the weather, but am back in San Antonio and ready to get things back to "normal" - keep missing the local group rides, but am offering if anyone wants to go for a ride sometime...

I resigned from my career and have all the time in the world.

Reactions: Vec
Just wondering if you ever made it back? Went on a month long trip to the NE and Canada only to be crushed by the weather, but am back in San Antonio and ready to get things back to "normal" - keep missing the local group rides, but am offering if anyone wants to go for a ride sometime...

I resigned from my career and have all the time in the world.

Almost. We have a place and have started bringing some stuff but we are not officially back until the end of this month.

I can’t wait. I will still be gone from time to time with movie stuff, but it will be awesome to be based in central Texas. It is my home.

Back