• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving to San Antonio Fall of 18'...

Well, feel free to drop me a note if you want to explore, video and try some of these fantastic mom and pop BBQ places...Texas like Germany we are finding it hard to practice a plant based lifestyle :)

I plan on riding and camping as much as possible while here for three years.

LOVE THAT. It'll be a long time but it will sure feel good when i am finally in that position.

I have to be careful sometimes stating things like that - some take it differently :)

I will say - I wake up everyday and mentally tell myself to appreciate this freedom - as you have to, you really do. I never thought it would be so easy to slip into a "laziness" but it really is at times. You hear about it from people who stop working or retire, but you really have to find a good balance.

i believe it. met a postal carrier once, said he would never retire because he didn't know what he'd do with his time. i thought to myself, 'dude, there's a whole world out there to explore. what a lack of imagination! if travel isn't your thing, take some classes at local jr college in whatever interests you, volunteer at a local school, the possibilities are endless!'

that was 10 years ago. he's probably still shouldering that pack and plodding that same route...

I get back on the 28th. May have to try and put something together. Well technically I got back from Alaska las Thursday, but leave for Ft Bliss tomorrow until the end of the month.

I get back on the 28th. May have to try and put something together. Well technically I got back from Alaska las Thursday, but leave for Ft Bliss tomorrow until the end of the month.

I came out to the shop to visit last week, but always forget in the US shops are closed on Monday. Germany and France they started opening on Mondays...little spoiled in that regard.

Just realized I never posted post surgery. 235468

Not sure how to say "It looks good" when referring to an x-ray, but..."It looks good!"

:)

Hope it is healing well for you :)

Last edited:
I wish I could have had the surgery. Mine is fine but the way the bone has fused is not pleasant. It seems good visually, still hurts a bit after a year, but wish I would have had it aligned and done right. My ribs and back took most of the impact.

Well, feel free to drop me a note if you want to explore, video and try some of these fantastic mom and pop BBQ places...Texas like Germany we are finding it hard to practice a plant based lifestyle :)

That's one area where the two cultures are similar. I had a rack of pork ribs at the Osterwaldgarten in Munich that rivaled any that I have ever enjoyed in Texas.

What I wish would catch on here is alkoholfrei beer. I won't drink and ride, ever, period, and having something as an option would be nice.

I see it in gas stations quite a bit, there's a couple of other brands too.

View attachment 235482You mean other than this?

Is this stuff around much?

Okay this is not a judgement on anyone else's taste, only my personal taste in beer. I've never liked anything that AB makes, but to give it a fair shot I bought a six of that just last week and after a couple of swallows poured out the rest in my yard. Most of the restaurants I've visited in Germany and to a lesser extend Austria, have a fair selection of alkoholfrei beers that are as pleasing - to me - as their regular beers. The market is growing over here, but most places serve only what comes from their regular distributor, which is why you see O'Douls, but not some of the European brands. Like with anything, you have to try it all in order to learn what fits your taste. The best bet is to Mix 6 at Total Wine so you don't end up pouring out 5 1/2 beers.

That's one area where the two cultures are similar. I had a rack of pork ribs at the Osterwaldgarten in Munich that rivaled any that I have ever enjoyed in Texas.

What I wish would catch on here is alkoholfrei beer. I won't drink and ride, ever, period, and having something as an option would be nice.

When I was stationed in Pirmasens in the mid 70s, we did a lot of weekend events with our German sister company. One of the most fun revolved around a hog and a piece of land someone owned just outside the town. A couple of the German guys were expert butchers. They slaughtered a hog, carved it up, and used hand operated equipment to turn most of it into every kind of sausage imaginable. BBQing the meat became a joint international endeavor. We spent two days playing horseshoes and Bocci ball, and eating pork. There may have been a little beer involved as well. Whether it's pork or beef or venison, Germans definitely know what to do with a good cut of meat.

Meriden, honestly, I don't remember non-alcohol beer from any of my times in Germany, but then, the last time I lived there was early 1977, and I'm sure things have changed a lot. There were a number of semi-alcohol and non-alcohol drinks that were popular in Bavaria when I lived down in Munich & Garmisch in the 60s. A drink called a "Ratla" or "Radler" was a 50/50 mix of Weissbier and lemonade, usually served in a .5 liter glass. That may not sound good, but remember not to confuse German beer or German bottled lemonade with American. It made a nice, tart drink and reduced your alcohol consumption by 50%. Another was a non-alcoholic drink called a "Spezi" or "Spaezi". The 2nd spelling literally means a "late one." It was a 50/50 mix of cola and lemonade. Again, remember that Germany's coca cola is less sweet and lower carbonation that ours, and their bottled white lemonade really doesn't equate to anything in the States. It was a pleasant way to have one more .5 liter drink before hitting the road, without taking on any more alcohol. One more mix was called a "Schoelli"; I never saw it anywhere except in deep Bavaria. It was 50/50 white wine & lemonade, served in a traditional wine glass so that, again, you were cutting your alcohol content in half. At some point in the States, I remember trying to mix a Coke with Country Time Lemonade. The results were pretty disgusting; some things just don't translate.

I guess it makes sense that non-alcohol beer would become a thing because, in the 70s, Germany was beginning to severely crack down on DUI. I was a drug-alcohol counselor in Pirmasens so saw up close & personal just how severely the Germans were beginning to treat DUI, and in turn how they expected their American guests to comply. I worked with more than a couple of NCOs who were on the verge of losing their careers if they couldn't change their life patterns.

And here I am catching up on this post while drinking my half Fanta half diet Coke Spezi, yes, a Spezi is brown, not typically mixed with a white limo. (Although I'm sure some places might make it that way)

A Weinschorle would be half wine, half mineral wasser (carbonated water), you can also go alcohol free with a Apfelschorle where apple juice is mixed with carbonated water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aha. insider information from the Nuernburger himself. Thanks, Daniel. I'm going by what they did in Gasthauses in Garmisch when I was a teenager - or at least, what I understood they did.

Beer without alcohol, coffee without caffeine, cigarettes without nicotine, food without calories, etc. etc. very much defeats the purpose for me so why even bother? Would be like sex without the...errr...oops...this is TWT so I'll just leave that thought right there.

Moderation is the key.

I think there is a different relationship to beer that making it more refreshing for hot summer hikes just makes sense. Like I don't recall anyone order a Radler for dinner, but stopping for lunch between two legs of the route when Wandern, or the bicyclists ("Die Radler") needing a break, yes.

So a Radler is more of a German Gatorade than "what did you to my beer" if you really think about it.

And caffeine free coffee? Puhlease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, hope yer enjoying San Antonio!

I drink Heineken 0.0 when I don't want alcohol, but need a refreshing carbonated drink. haven't done soda in 15 years.
love me some Buddha's Brew "Hops" kombucha, but gotta watch the sugar.

You should have tried the ribs behind Campbell Barracks in Heidelberg, utterly amazing!!!!!!

More info please. I expect to be back in Heidelberg (Rohrbach) in a few months and usually get downtown once or twice while there. There are differences in BBQ, even in the US, so I am not setting my expectations high, but wouldn't mind trying something different than schnitzel.

Jfink, he was behind Campbell Barracks off Romerstrasse. Give me a call so I can describe it better. That were F N Amazing.

573-528-5212

Back