• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Pandale 700

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Updated 11/22/2023:

Update 2: Dinner plans for Friday and Saturday added to this post.

Update 1:
Riders, there are now too many attendees for 1 group. So, we will be organizing into groups of 4-6 riders for this event.

I have received a number of emails letting me know that some of you are planning on joining the ride enroute (i.e. you will join us as we ride by your location). However, that opens the possibility that one group will end up being too large if the 3-4 riders planning on joining enroute jump into the first group to pass.

With all that being said, I strongly urge you to pre-organize the group you will be riding with. For those who don't have a group to ride with, I will create groups at the riders meeting on Friday morning. If you are planning on joining us mid-route, I highly recommend that you organize a group now so you don't end up without a group to ride with.

How to organize a group here on TWT: 1. Post to this thread that you want to start a group. 2. Add the other riders who respond to your thread and edit your post to show the members of your group. 3. Once you have 4-6 riders, close your group to new riders.

For example, here's my group:

Trail Boss (Rich)
Jeff Elliot (sweatmachine)
Alton Hill
Oscar Leal

Group closed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning a three-day, 700-mile, Texas hill country adventure ride on Thanksgiving weekend, Nov 24-26 (Black Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and am extending an invitation for others to join me.

This ride will consist of a mix of pavement and some dirt, suitable for dual sport or adventure bikes with riders of average abilities. The route was created to include a mix of county roads, twisty pavement, and fun dirt while keeping highway miles to a minimum wherever possible (though some highway miles are inevitable). Day 1 is almost all pavement (sorry about that) but it does have some great twisty and back roads. (I'm a dual sport rider, which means I like riding great pavement about as much as I like riding dirt. So twisty, scenic paved roads are okay with me.) Day 2 will be a fun day in the transition zone (the land between the hill country and Big Bend) and includes Pandale Road and Juno Road. There will also be some low water crossings. Day 3 will have the most dirt as we ride cross country from Junction to Llano (lunch at Cooper's BBQ) and then two crossings of Sandy Creek after leaving Llano.

Day 1: Dripping Springs - Comfort - Camp Wood - Bracketville - Del Rio, 251 miles
Day 2: Del Rio - Langtry - Pandale - Sonora - Junction, 242 miles
Day 3: Junction - Llano - Dripping Springs, 164 miles

Pandale%20700-M.jpg

I'm staying at the Days Inn, Del Rio on Friday night and the Rodeway Inn, Junction on Saturday night. There are multiple other hotel options if either of the properties are sold out or don't meet your standards.

You will need a 200-mile range on your bike. If your stock gas tank won't get 200 miles, then carry some extra gas on the bike. I think the longest distance between gas stations will be the 175 miles between Del Rio and Sonora on Day 2 (unless the gas station in Langtry is open).

Meet at the Highway 290 General Store, 1301 US-290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620, at 8 am on Friday, Nov 24th. Stands up at 8:30 am.

We will divide ourselves into small groups of 4-6 riders. If you are planning on attending, please respond to this thread and I will keep a running list here. Tag me with an email at richgibbens1@gmail.com and I will send you the gpx file.

I am planning on having dinner at the Sirloin Stockade in Del Rio on Friday evening. It's next door to the Day's Inn, which is quite convenient.

I am planning on having dinner at the Cowboy Grill in Junction on Saturday evening. It's a short walk from the Rodeway Inn.

I am inviting all riders to join me for dinner both evenings at 6 pm. Of course, that means we will need to arrive in both Del Rio and Junction no later than 5 pm each day so that we can check in, get unpacked, and then walk over to the restaurant of the evening. If we get delayed, then we will adjust accordingly.

There is no sign up or cost to attend. Make your own lodging arrangements.

A weather decision will be made on Wednesday, Nov 22nd.

Attending:
Rich Gibbens (Trail Boss)
Joe Greenlees (JJ Tex)
gixxerjasen
LlanoRiverMan
Doug Randel (ktm690)
hillcountry54
rshadoan
LlanoRiverMan

Last edited:
There are some alternatives on the way up pandale to avoid that I-10 section, connecting pandale TX with Juno. Gotta get creative in a place or two, if I remember correctly. Or, at least swerve off at 2083 towards ozona. I-10 blows on a dual sport. Maybe your planning on this already, hard to be sure from the map...

In any case, there fuel in ozona, and Comstock, so that'll reduce the total range required.

But this'll be a really fun west Texas loop!

@Trail Boss if I'm able to go, it would be on the CRF300 Rally. 200 mile range is possible at lower speeds but not highway. Is that what you'll be riding as well? Are you taking extra fuel?

@Trail Boss if I'm able to go, it would be on the CRF300 Rally. 200 mile range is possible at lower speeds but not highway. Is that what you'll be riding as well? Are you taking extra fuel?
I haven't decided yet which bike I will be riding. I think the 300 Rally would be fine for this ride and I think it has enough fuel range. If I do ride the 300, to be on the safe side I will likely carry an extra fuel bottle in my bags. Or a siphon hose so I can get fuel from the giant Acerbis on sweatmachine's DR. :)

I haven't decided yet which bike I will be riding. I think the 300 Rally would be fine for this ride and I think it has enough fuel range. If I do ride the 300, to be on the safe side I will likely carry an extra fuel bottle in my bags. Or a siphon hose so I can get fuel from the giant Acerbis on sweatmachine's DR. :)

😁 We all need a friend with a big tank. Thanks for your thoughts.

If yall are gonna be on Taylor Rd (CR101) or Caverns Rd (RR1989)...Ive used RR1312 & the I10 service roads when out there
We will be riding Caverns Road but not Taylor Road. Thanks for the tip on the I10 service roads.

I'm planning a three-day, 700-mile, Texas hill country adventure ride on Thanksgiving weekend, Nov 24-26 (Black Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and am extending an invitation for others to join me.

This ride will consist of a mix of pavement and some dirt, suitable for dual sport or adventure bikes with riders of average abilities. The route was created to include a mix of county roads, twisty pavement, and fun dirt while keeping highway miles to a minimum wherever possible (though some highway miles are inevitable). Day 1 is almost all pavement (sorry about that) but it does have some great twisty and back roads. (I'm a dual sport rider, which means I like riding great pavement about as much as I like riding dirt. So twisty, scenic paved roads are okay with me.) Day 2 will be a fun day in the transition zone (the land between the hill country and Big Bend) and includes Pandale Road and Juno Road. There will also be some low water crossings. Day 3 will have the most dirt as we ride cross country from Junction to Llano (lunch at Cooper's BBQ) and then two crossings of Sandy Creek after leaving Llano.

Day 1: Dripping Springs - Comfort - Camp Wood - Bracketville - Del Rio, 251 miles
Day 2: Del Rio - Langtry - Pandale - Sonora - Junction, 242 miles
Day 3: Junction - Llano - Dripping Springs, 164 miles

View attachment 361321

I'm staying at the Days Inn, Del Rio on Friday night and the Rodeway Inn, Junction on Saturday night. There are multiple other hotel options if either of the properties are sold out or don't meet your standards.

You will need a 200-mile range on your bike. If your stock gas tank won't get 200 miles, then carry some extra gas on the bike. I think the longest distance between gas stations will be the 175 miles between Del Rio and Sonora on Day 2 (unless the gas station in Langtry is open).

Meet at the Highway 290 General Store, 1301 US-290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620, at 8 am on Friday, Nov 24th. Stands up at 8:30 am.

We will divide ourselves into small groups of 4-6 riders. If you are planning on attending, please respond to this thread and I will keep a running list here. Tag me with an email at richgibbens1@gmail.com and I will send you the gpx file.

There is no sign up or cost to attend. Make your own lodging arrangements.

A weather decision will be made on Wednesday, Nov 22nd.

Attending:
Rich Gibbens (Trail Boss)
Very interested but can't commit at the moment. Thanks for doing this.

Here are my map copies from Roads O Texas Atlas. I highlighted the paved county roads since those are what I like ta ride...but there are many other nonpaved gooduns out west too.

Attachments

• 20210128_204055.jpg
    20210128_204055.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210128_204115.jpg
    20210128_204115.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210128_210401.jpg
    20210128_210401.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210128_210428.jpg
    20210128_210428.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 94
90% sure I can make it so put me on the list. I’ll be on a Super Tenere coming from Lago Vista. I will probably wait for the groups at the 281 crossing of the route so I don’t have to go east to Dripping if that’s ok with the posse.

I would love to make this, but I need to be in the Panhandle on Thanksgiving, It is possible but not probable.

10am Comfort @Chevron US87 & I10 sound about right?
I like the idea of meeting up with the group in Comfort also. I’ll be coming from Junction. Probably would do all of the rest of the ride though. Sign me up as joining also. Thanks for putting this together.
‘Doug Randel
ktm 690

Back