• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Pandale 700

I'm planning a three-day, 700-mile, Texas hill country adventure ride on Thanksgiving weekend, Nov 24-26 (Black Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and am extending an invitation for others to join me.

This ride will consist of a mix of pavement and some dirt, suitable for dual sport or adventure bikes with riders of average abilities. The route was created to include a mix of county roads, twisty pavement, and fun dirt while keeping highway miles to a minimum wherever possible (though some highway miles are inevitable). Day 1 is almost all pavement (sorry about that) but it does have some great twisty and back roads. (I'm a dual sport rider, which means I like riding great pavement about as much as I like riding dirt. So twisty, scenic paved roads are okay with me.) Day 2 will be a fun day in the transition zone (the land between the hill country and Big Bend) and includes Pandale Road and Juno Road. There will also be some low water crossings. Day 3 will have the most dirt as we ride cross country from Junction to Llano (lunch at Cooper's BBQ) and then two crossings of Sandy Creek after leaving Llano.

Day 1: Dripping Springs - Comfort - Camp Wood - Bracketville - Del Rio, 251 miles
Day 2: Del Rio - Langtry - Pandale - Sonora - Junction, 242 miles
Day 3: Junction - Llano - Dripping Springs, 164 miles

View attachment 361321

I'm staying at the Days Inn, Del Rio on Friday night and the Rodeway Inn, Junction on Saturday night. There are multiple other hotel options if either of the properties are sold out or don't meet your standards.

You will need a 200-mile range on your bike. If your stock gas tank won't get 200 miles, then carry some extra gas on the bike. I think the longest distance between gas stations will be the 175 miles between Del Rio and Sonora on Day 2 (unless the gas station in Langtry is open).

Meet at the Highway 290 General Store, 1301 US-290, Dripping Springs, TX 78620, at 8 am on Friday, Nov 24th. Stands up at 8:30 am.

We will divide ourselves into small groups of 4-6 riders. If you are planning on attending, please respond to this thread and I will keep a running list here. Tag me with an email at richgibbens1@gmail.com and I will send you the gpx file.

There is no sign up or cost to attend. Make your own lodging arrangements.

A weather decision will be made on Wednesday, Nov 22nd.

Attending:
Rich Gibbens (Trail Boss)
Jeff Elliot (sweatmachine)
Joe Greenlees (JJ Tex)
gixxerjasen
LlanoRiverMan
Hi Trail Boss. My husband Doug Randel plans to join your group. He is ktm690. He is having issues using his phone to do replies. He would like to meet up with the group at Comfort as he will be coming from our place in Junction. Thanks for hosting this ride. He is very excited to be joining your group.
Pinktrek

I'm staying at the Days Inn, Del Rio on Friday night and the Rodeway Inn, Junction on Saturday night. There are multiple other hotel options if either of the properties are sold out or don't meet your standards.
My reservations are made. Now to find something inexpensive near Dripping Springs on the night of Thanksgiving. :D

Any thoughts about camping along the route instead of hotels? Iā€™m planning on riding but plan on camping.

Any thoughts about camping along the route instead of hotels? Iā€™m planning on riding but plan on camping.
MajDad,

Camping is a fine idea and there are likely multiple options for camping at or near our overnight stops. My only suggestion is to ensure you have a good plan to reunite with your group each morning.

I had planned on riding my DR650 but am considering taking the new VStrom 800. I'm still leaning towards the DR, partially because I just took the Strom to Arkansas.

Days Inn Del Rio booked.
I'll be on a T7.
@Trail Boss Did you see my suggested meetup guess for Comfort on Friday morning?

10am Comfort @Chevron US87 & I10............does that work for you?

Sounds good. Will do the same Pinktrek, and we'll see if anyone else jumps in.

Got a room at the Mountain Star Hotel/Lodge the night before this kicks off. Will be joining at Dripping Springs, looking for a group so I have someone to help me pick up my bike. :)

This sounds like an awesome ride; I'd like to join at Comfort. My local riding buddy is out of town and can't make it. I think that 3 is the perfect group size, but 2 and 4 are a very close second. If the Comfort group becomes 5 or 6 or more, maybe it could split into 2 groups.

Back