• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayers for Poser

Haven't logged in here for a while. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope the recovery is going well - that hip doesn't look like much fun!

as soon as the doc says "go for it" I'm on it :rider:

Just beat him to the punch. After my shoulder surgery, I started riding to physical therapy once I felt up to it. They were shocked and warned me how it might be so bad for me. Right up until I asked this..."If I was 100% healthy and this is what happened to me when I crashed; what difference would it make if I were still healing?"

Not to mention I rode my bike to my final appointment to get officially released from my Doc.:lol2:

I've been doing some research on hip fractures online, and there's not a lot out there for this type of injury in my age bracket.
One report I found lists three age groups: <64, 65 - 85, >85 :lol2:

And statistically, there's a good chance I'm going to die in a year or two. :eek2:

:rofl:

Just catching up on this thread. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery. :zen:

Who gets your bike?

there's a few that have already called "dibs" :lol2:
I'll probably leave it to my son, that way when he's big enough he can ride it in the "vintage" class :lol2:

UPDATE:
Went to the surgeon for a follow up.
Got the cast off, and the pins pulled. BTW having the pins pulled felt WEIRD! :eek2: :puke:
I'm now in a splint for the thumb for three weeks.
He said to stay off the hip for 3 more weeks :tears:, but he did say I can drive :dude:
He said the hip looks good, and everything is healing the way it should, but he wants to give it more time. I guess I'm ok with it, if it means I'll be better/stronger in the end. I am ready to get out of the house :suicide:

That really is great news.. I hope you enjoy the extra mobility and freedom, but don't push it too fast, we don't need any setbacks.. Let the body heal itself correctly and at it's speed.

Gary

Glad to hear your pieces parts are coming back together! :thumb:

Even though I'm suppose to wait until Wednesday, yesterday I took my first steps in nearly 2 months.
It felt weird, and I can tell my leg is very weak. Honestly it felt good to walk, and I feel good. Even though just the little bit of walking in the house yesterday made me pretty sore.

Going back to the doc, Wednesday, and maybe at that point I'll start PT

Even though I'm suppose to wait until Wednesday, yesterday I took my first steps in nearly 2 months.
It felt weird, and I can tell my leg is very weak. Honestly it felt good to walk, and I feel good. Even though just the little bit of walking in the house yesterday made me pretty sore.

Going back to the doc, Wednesday, and maybe at that point I'll start PT

Glad to hear the progress report is all good... :clap:

:tab My left ankle was in a cast for 10 weeks after I hit a deer with the KLR. I was amazed at the loss of muscle mass in my calf and left leg in general at the end of that time. It did take a while before the leg came back to full strength and I had to be mindful of it until that time or I would lose my balance in some cases. Do the PT, forgive your therapist if they make you hurt, and it will be worth it.

Biggest problem I had after having my lower leg in a cast was lack of mobility in my ankle.
Even now, before I play racquetball, I am more mobile if I jog around the gym several times before hand. It is like I am knocking the rust off of my ankle joint.

Then again, I have a few years on you.

Biggest problem I had after having my lower leg in a cast was lack of mobility in my ankle.
Even now, before I play racquetball, I am more mobile if I jog around the gym several times before hand. It is like I am knocking the rust off of my ankle joint.

:tab When I visited with the surgeon beforehand and asked if I really needed surgery versus letting it heal on its own, he said, "AT YOUR AGE, if you let it heal on its own arthritis could be a problem..." Sure... I have some grey in the beard but I was only 43 :huh2: :giveup:

:tab Now it is as good as the other ankle... which, sad to say, could be better :doh: Both of my ankles get really stiff and tight every night and I have to stretch them in the mornings to get them loosened up or it is painful to walk. I am only 45 now :roll:

even though my wrist wasn't injured it hurts as much as the thumb and has limited mobility

Good PT practices now will make for a better and more mobile life later on. I know this the hard way and there are no do-overs. Work it man!

Glad to see sign's of progress. I'm sure we all are wishing you the best.

The doctor appointment went well. He said the hip looks fantastic. He also said he didn't feel compelled to send me to PT, to just walk around and exercise it a bit.
I did tell him I had been walking around the house a bit, and he asked me how it felt. I told him, I don't feel any pain, my hip just get sore fast. Its more of a muscle soreness, and I can tell everything on that leg is week.

I can ride a bicycle :rider:, no running or jumping for 2 months.
If work has something for me to do "sedentary" I can go back next week, otherwise he extended my disability another 4 weeks for me to get my strength back before I go full duty.
I go back in 2 months for another follow up.

Thanks again to everyone who's prayed, encouraged, helped and pushed me along in this journey. It really has made a difference! :clap:

this is great news, we might get you on a dirt bike before the end of the year!!

We could arrange a poser day in the dirt!! :rider:

Gary

Don't forget, you need to more than just exercise, you need to stretch, a lot of the muscles will have lost their full range of movement (Due to the prolonged lack of use) and unless you stretch them (gently!!) now you will permanently loose that movement..

this is great news, we might get you on a dirt bike before the end of the year!!

We could arrange a poser day in the dirt!! :rider:

Gary

Don't forget, you need to more than just exercise, you need to stretch, a lot of the muscles will have lost their full range of movement (Due to the prolonged lack of use) and unless you stretch them (gently!!) now you will permanently loose that movement..

I actually was able to kick start the KTM yesterday and rode it around the yard once or twice. A friend took the carb to his work a few weeks ago and cleaned it in their ultrasonic parts cleaner thing. It start EASY now. It felt good ride ride :rider:
Makes me almost reconsider selling it to get an electric start. :mrgreen:

and yeah, I've been stretching my hand, and need to start stretching my leg too.

Don't worry about stretching your leg, Everyone on this forum will pull your leg!! :lol2: I don't know if that joke works in America!! :ponder:

Gary

Great news! :clap: You'll be poppin' and lockin' in no time!

yikes,,,, I missed this thread .. Jason, Now I understand what you said in the PM about "Now that I can walk" :lol:

8 pages,,,,, hmmm got some reading to do.

Back